The Student Room Group

Chess games

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Sure, if you like. Just was completely winning against a 1900 and resigned because I psyched myself out thinking I blundered mate in 1 when I didn't...such is my psychological strength.

come on then
Sure, if you like. Just was completely winning against a 1900 and resigned because I psyched myself out thinking I blundered mate in 1 when I didn't...such is my psychological strength.

gg, you didn't have to give up there? Sometimes it is good practice to play on from a material disadvantage?
Original post by john2054
gg, you didn't have to give up there? Sometimes it is good practice to play on from a material disadvantage?

lol it wasn't gg. Basically no chess was played. Just a typical pawn sac in the opening where black is supposed to have decent compensation, but I came up with no reasonable plan and blundered another pawn almost immediately. Being a pathetic stupid c*nt, as usual. There was absolutely no reason to play, I have nothing going on anywhere on the board.
lol it wasn't gg. Basically no chess was played. Just a typical pawn sac in the opening where black is supposed to have decent compensation, but I came up with no reasonable plan and blundered another pawn almost immediately. Being a pathetic stupid c*nt, as usual. There was absolutely no reason to play, I have nothing going on anywhere on the board.

True i was going to say you had a slight advantage in the opening, but then when you let me connect my pawns, that was a danger.

rather then moving your rook to b2, i would have looked maybe at exchanging knights, and seeing if you could have developed some counter play on the king side. Those bishops and queen had powerful lines down there, but it would be up to you to create options out of this.

We typically say good game as a matter of courtsey after playing games of chess. Maybe you didn't learn to do this?
True i was going to say you had a slight advantage in the opening, but then when you let me connect my pawns, that was a danger.

rather then moving your rook to b2, i would have looked maybe at exchanging knights, and seeing if you could have developed some counter play on the king side. Those bishops and queen had powerful lines down there, but it would be up to you to create options out of this.

We typically say good game as a matter of courtsey after playing games of chess. Maybe you didn't learn to do this?

I don't think it is technically considered a danger. I think it is considered correct for white to let black get the pawn back. Indeed, the engine thinks black has equalised. Unless you mean d3 perhaps. I think exchanging knights is good for white. The knight on f3 is currently blocking the bishop, the knight on d5 is strong. In fact that might have been good after a6 (which was somewhat slow) as opposed to h3. But yes kingside play in general makes more sense, starting with Qc7. And then my rooks will be better placed in the centre. Even if I don't blunder for no reason on the queenside, breaking there doesn't achieve much. I don't know, whatever. Once again, complete lack of self-application from a perpetual moron. Yes it is the done thing to say gg but when it lasts 14 moves and a blunder is made so early, with barely anything in the way of real chess going on, I hope you can forgive me for pointing out the irony.
I don't think it is technically considered a danger. I think it is considered correct for white to let black get the pawn back. Indeed, the engine thinks black has equalised. Unless you mean d3 perhaps. I think exchanging knights is good for white. The knight on f3 is currently blocking the bishop, the knight on d5 is strong. In fact that might have been good after a6 (which was somewhat slow) as opposed to h3. But yes kingside play in general makes more sense, starting with Qc7. And then my rooks will be better placed in the centre. Even if I don't blunder for no reason on the queenside, breaking there doesn't achieve much. I don't know, whatever. Once again, complete lack of self-application from a perpetual moron. Yes it is the done thing to say gg but when it lasts 14 moves and a blunder is made so early, with barely anything in the way of real chess going on, I hope you can forgive me for pointing out the irony.

To be honest with you, it is all very well doing this machine analysis after the games, but in order to improve as a chess player i think it is best that you read some books on chess, and play more games otb.

it is true that machine analysis can help you improve when other things being equal, but sometimes, over reliance (on playing the best games), can come with a disadvantage. Keep on insulting my styles of gameplay and then keep on losing to me, and sure you will get better by this method.

I don't quite see how though?!?
Anyone up for a game?
Original post by PharaohFromSpace
Anyone up for a game?

Not now sorry Pharaoh. I get so much abuse from the people on here after every time i play, it really takes it out of me. And i need at least a day or two to recover!
To be honest with you, it is all very well doing this machine analysis after the games, but in order to improve as a chess player i think it is best that you read some books on chess, and play more games otb.

it is true that machine analysis can help you improve when other things being equal, but sometimes, over reliance (on playing the best games), can come with a disadvantage. Keep on insulting my styles of gameplay and then keep on losing to me, and sure you will get better by this method.

I don't quite see how though?!?

Yeah, I can't play many (any) games OTB at the moment. And yeah, I'm reading books. It doesn't matter. I'm just an idiot. I know a lot about chess. I just don't apply anything. My brain does not function right during a game, or at least during a lot of games. I knew immediately that b5 was a blunder. It is just psychological problems. They probably can't be fixed. I have too much self-hatred, it nullifies the competitiveness. I just want to resign constantly unless I play perfect moves. And inevitably I put myself under too much pressure and play ****ing stupid moves. I am capable of long calculations and complicated tactics, and I blunder something as simple as that. There is evidently something wrong.

Yes if one is to play this line saccing the pawn they should know how to best use their compensation, so in one sense (as I rarely play this opening) it was not the logical decision to allow this line even if it is objectively best according to engines and theoreticians. I know little of the resulting structure and as you could see this lack of experience meant I came up with the most lackluster plan which then fuelled a ridiculous blunder.

I'm not sure what you are asking at the end. With regards to the irony of gg, presuming it is to do with that, my point is that a game of such a course is simply not a "good" game. I did not mean to offend. You reacted calmly to the sac, just nullifying chances for dynamic play, but the key factor was one simple, and very early, blunder. So I would not consider such a game good. It's not too important anyway..
Not now sorry Pharaoh. I get so much abuse from the people on here after every time i play, it really takes it out of me. And i need at least a day or two to recover!

I am not trying to abuse you. I am mad at myself, for reading on chess constantly, watching chess vids constantly, and still being utter garbage. I did not mean to insult your play, I was just noting what is considered technically correct. I implied many times before the game that I was very unhappy with my chess and having psychological difficulties in games; tbh I did not particularly want to play but felt I ought to.
I am not trying to abuse you. I am mad at myself, for reading on chess constantly, watching chess vids constantly, and still being utter garbage. I did not mean to insult your play, I was just noting what is considered technically correct. I implied many times before the game that I was very unhappy with my chess and having psychological difficulties in games; tbh I did not particularly want to play but felt I ought to.

You played well though 13, and no doubt you would have won if i had played other than the correct moves.. Don't be too hard on yourself. I am pleased to see that you got your rating up, but you were also behind in time on that last game. And also bearing in mind that i have been playing since the days of excite, yahoo and pogo chess, i don't know if you remember them? Things certainly have changed a lot in the chess world, but some things remain the same.

For example the way, over a chess game, two individuals sit down over the board, with nothing other than their brains and cunning to eke out a win. That remains the same!
You played well though 13, and no doubt you would have won if i had played other than the correct moves.. Don't be too hard on yourself. I am pleased to see that you got your rating up, but you were also behind in time on that last game. And also bearing in mind that i have been playing since the days of excite, yahoo and pogo chess, i don't know if you remember them? Things certainly have changed a lot in the chess world, but some things remain the same.

For example the way, over a chess game, two individuals sit down over the board, with nothing other than their brains and cunning to eke out a win. That remains the same!

Well, I played pretty much nothing moves then blundered. I mean the opening was fine, but after that I just floundered. I picked up chess three years ago so I don't remember those days lol.

My best games and most fun have been OTB. Maybe I should stop chess for a couple weeks before uni starts and I can go to chess society for some proper chess. Evidently doing it night and day with no OTB play is not improving my actual game. I've been reading Silman and learning a lot about imbalances and piece placement and everything, but it's not coming through, obviously. I need some balance.
Well, I played pretty much nothing moves then blundered. I mean the opening was fine, but after that I just floundered. I picked up chess three years ago so I don't remember those days lol.

My best games and most fun have been OTB. Maybe I should stop chess for a couple weeks before uni starts and I can go to chess society for some proper chess. Evidently doing it night and day with no OTB play is not improving my actual game. I've been reading Silman and learning a lot about imbalances and piece placement and everything, but it's not coming through, obviously. I need some balance.

Sometimes having a break, means that you come back stronger you know. Also remember that it is less the winning, and more the taking part that counts. In order to lose a chess game, sure you have to blunder, but again the other person has to play the correct moves.

When does your uni start back anyway? I thought that most people were back now?
Sometimes having a break, means that you come back stronger you know. Also remember that it is less the winning, and more the taking part that counts. In order to lose a chess game, sure you have to blunder, but again the other person has to play the correct moves.

Yes to be fair it would be very easy to mindlessly take back, and checking for and finding the appropriate winning intermezzo was something you had to do; it wasn't a straightforward blunder like just hanging a piece straight up. So yeah I was a little too discrediting of your part. Uni starts in October, Warwick is a weird one.

You might not have realised but despite me wanting to improve just as much as you (maybe more I'm really obsessed with improvement lol) I haven't played any online games in ages and I've never played even close to what would be called 'regularly'.

That's because I'm waiting for uni to spam chess (I've lost most of my motivation for maths anyway, might just do the bare minimum to scrape a first, I don't really care that much tbh). OTB is much more fun and is just better in basically every way. Online chess stresses me out, angers me when, just like you, I make one less-than-perfect move, and those games where you play perfectly for literally an hour of intense concentration and blunder the win with some rubbish tactical error just kill my motivation/enjoyment.

So yeah, despite quite recently purchasing a chess.com membership I'm almost certainly only gonna play my next game in uni. Might use the tactics trainer some until then (although that's really annoying me with backwards progress being made all the time) and certainly chess mentor because I really enjoy relaxing and just playing through Silman's excellent lessons.
Yes to be fair it would be very easy to mindlessly take back, and checking for and finding the appropriate winning intermezzo was something you had to do; it wasn't a straightforward blunder like just hanging a piece straight up. So yeah I was a little too discrediting of your part. Uni starts in October, Warwick is a weird one.

Btw I only just got your name XD.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
You might not have realised but despite me wanting to improve just as much as you (maybe more I'm really obsessed with improvement lol) I haven't played any online games in ages and I've never played even close to what would be called 'regularly'.

That's because I'm waiting for uni to spam chess (I've lost most of my motivation for maths anyway, might just do the bare minimum to scrape a first, I don't really care that much tbh). OTB is much more fun and is just better in basically every way. Online chess stresses me out, angers me when, just like you, I make one less-than-perfect move, and those games where you play perfectly for literally an hour of intense concentration and blunder the win with some rubbish tactical error just kill my motivation/enjoyment.

So yeah, despite quite recently purchasing a chess.com membership I'm almost certainly only gonna play my next game in uni. Might use the tactics trainer some until then (although that's really annoying me with backwards progress being made all the time) and certainly chess mentor because I really enjoy relaxing and just playing through Silman's excellent lessons.

Well when I've checked out your games I've noticed they're rather infrequent lol.

I'm also pretty uninspired when it comes to maths. Hopefully I'll care more at uni. I've just never really been talented at maths. Hell, I barely scraped a 1 in STEP 1. I got two bronzes in UKMT. I've survived only on having a good short-term memory if I focus enough, it would seem. (I don't remember most of the first year stuff now). So I just don't see the point. I don't have actual creativity or ingenuity. It's just another source of dissatisfaction. But I'll probably have to work harder in second year so maybe I'll be forced to care. OTB is more fun, and I tend to take mistakes more in my stride (just have a laugh about it). Though I can imagine getting very angry at myself for similar mistakes in a tournament situation.

Tactics trainer can be annoying because it penalises you so heavily for getting it wrong but only rewards you as much if you solve it in like ten seconds. By the way I'd recommend the book "reassess your chess" by silman (available in pdf via a quick google). I've been playing through the stuff on a real board. Even though I evidently haven't seen the fruits of the labour yet, I find I'm thinking better, about piece placement and imbalances and such. Actually moving the pieces around means I'm more focused than on the lessons.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well when I've checked out your games I've noticed they're rather infrequent lol.

I'm also pretty uninspired when it comes to maths. Hopefully I'll care more at uni. I've just never really been talented at maths. Hell, I barely scraped a 1 in STEP 1. I got two bronzes in UKMT. I've survived only on having a good short-term memory if I focus enough, it would seem. (I don't remember most of the first year stuff now). So I just don't see the point. I don't have actual creativity or ingenuity. It's just another source of dissatisfaction. But I'll probably have to work harder in second year so maybe I'll be forced to care. OTB is more fun, and I tend to take mistakes more in my stride (just have a laugh about it). Though I can imagine getting very angry at myself for similar mistakes in a tournament situation.

Tactics trainer can be annoying because it penalises you so heavily for getting it wrong but only rewards you as much if you solve it in like ten seconds. By the way I'd recommend the book "reassess your chess" by silman (available in pdf via a quick google). I've been playing through the stuff on a real board. Even though I evidently haven't seen the fruits of the labour yet, I find I'm thinking better, about piece placement and imbalances and such. Actually moving the pieces around means I'm more focused than on the lessons.

Well mainly what absolutely killed my motivation was my rejection from Cambridge but yeah I have exactly the same problems as you.
My STEP grades were only a result of hard work, I never got into any olympiad, I'm not actually very talented at maths at all; I certainly lack any creativity or any ability to understand anything remotely complicated in a reasonable length of time (it took me 2 f***ing days to actually understand the definition of a limit).

I'm not looking forward to the maths course at all. The only things I'm looking forward too are studying from my own maths books, maybe skip a few lectures to do so (I really don't care too much right now, but maybe that'll change as the workload increases and the course gets more interesting) and even more so being away from home and being able to be a lot of chess/tennis although I probably won't end up playing any tennis because it would require a certain degree of social skill. :colonhash:

I actually heard about that book and saw the pdf, will be studying that properly soon since Silman seems to really know how to teach. I'll also do that real board thing since it sounds fun and will be good prep going into OTB play in October.

I'd also like to point out that I think there are two aspects to mathematical ability. There is depth of understanding and problem solving skill. I feel that all the (albeit small) success I've had was based on the former. The latter I feel have virtually none of unfortunately.

Quick Reply

Latest