The Student Room Group

Who earns more? Doctor (say paediatrician) in UK or petroleum engineer in Dubai?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Noumsey
Oh right i get you. But i feel like its more of a risk than Petroleum engineering, which is even more risky than Chemical engineering, in terms of job security. Furthermore, i know little about marketing careers so maybe just maybe if i get enough information about petroleum engineering, ill of into that and hopefully make a decent living alongside have fun travelling if possible.

By trading, do you mean day trading?

No. I meant trading at an investment bank.
Original post by Trapz99
No. I meant trading at an investment bank.

That is wayyyyyyy too competitive. Plus i am pretty sure the hours worked are more ridiculous than the hours doctors work I'm pretty sure, so not much of a work life balance there too.
Original post by Noumsey
That is wayyyyyyy too competitive. Plus i am pretty sure the hours worked are more ridiculous than the hours doctors work I'm pretty sure, so not much of a work life balance there too.

50-60 hrs a week

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
50-60 hrs a week

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait are we talking about the same thing? Im thinking like analyst etc. Is a trader a lot different to an analyst? Is it less competitive than becoming an analyst? Because i read a bit on Investment banking and i got told 100+ hours a week are common
Original post by Noumsey
Wait are we talking about the same thing? Im thinking like analyst etc. Is a trader a lot different to an analyst? Is it less competitive than becoming an analyst? Because i read a bit on Investment banking and i got told 100+ hours a week are common

Lol, yes we are. You're thinking of an investment banking analyst, nobody in a markets role works that much.

Everything revenue generative is competitive, hell, every role really in a bank is competitive just some more than others. It's not like it's easy to get into BP or Shell either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol, yes we are. You're thinking of an investment banking analyst, nobody in a markets role works that much.

Everything revenue generative is competitive, hell, every role really in a bank is competitive just some more than others. It's not like it's easy to get into BP or Shell either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for clearing that up haha. And yeah I guess you're right about not being easy to get into BP or Shell as well. But i guess with a couple of placements and a first, I'm sure it would be easier to get into than Investment banking though right?
Original post by Noumsey
Thanks for clearing that up haha. And yeah I guess you're right about not being easy to get into BP or Shell as well. But i guess with a couple of placements and a first, I'm sure it would be easier to get into than Investment banking though right?

Nope, would say they're about equal if you qualify it that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Noumsey

Probably even harder to get into than investment banking since so few grads are hired into trading desks every year.
It might be worth mentioning that Consultant's you may have spoken to who are earning large amounts of money may well either locum or blend both NHS and private practice work. Some Doctor's make a lot of money that way but if you're not keen about working long hours it might not be for you!
Nope, would say they're about equal if you qualify it that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But is it easier to get placements in engineering companies (e.g. Petroleum companies) than banking? I know it depends from bank to bank and company to company but i was asking generally.

Original post by RunningBack34
It might be worth mentioning that Consultant's you may have spoken to who are earning large amounts of money may well either locum or blend both NHS and private practice work. Some Doctor's make a lot of money that way but if you're not keen about working long hours it might not be for you!

Whats the % of consultants who usually do private work alongside normal work?
Original post by Noumsey
But is it easier to get placements in engineering companies (e.g. Petroleum companies) than banking? I know it depends from bank to bank and company to company but i was asking generally.

finance tends to be more competitive numbers wise but I would say they're comparable if you're a suitable candidate

Posted from TSR Mobile
finance tends to be more competitive numbers wise but I would say they're comparable if you're a suitable candidate

Posted from TSR Mobile

I go to Sheffield though. Which isn't a target uni. Whereas I'm sure that Petroleum engineering companies don't really priorities unis that much. So in terms of uni, for me, I guess Petroleum engineering is easier?
Original post by Noumsey
I go to Sheffield though. Which isn't a target uni. Whereas I'm sure that Petroleum engineering companies don't really priorities unis that much. So in terms of uni, for me, I guess Petroleum engineering is easier?

And? I have a friend at Sheffield, they got 3 first year spring programs. The people on the board of the investment society all have top offers.

Imo, do what interests you most. I only suggested it because it seems like money is a key driver for you - which by itself won't suffice with many careers (even finance) mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending