The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

International Relations and...?

I am planning on applying to study IR at St Andrew's for 2017 entry. I know that in first year you get to study three subjects in equal amounts regardless of whether you applied for a single subject or joint degree. My question is, is there a difference (in terms of chances of getting accepted) between applying for just IR and applying for IR and something else as a joint degree? Say I wanted to do IR and Philosophy... would it be preferable to apply for just IR (and then do Philosophy in first year and eventually get the joint degree) or to apply for the joint option?

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Hey, I'm currently studying here as a fresher (so it's new to me). I applied to do straight IR - but my friend applied to do IR and History. We both got the same grades and received offers at similar times. Both IR and History are very competetive courses - and a lot of people who take one will often take the other as a module for the semester (me being one of them). I'm just a student so I really couldn't tell you with any confidence, but my reckoning is no - it shouldn't matter, lots of people I know got in just off the one subject, and lots on joint honors. Basically, if you are confident that the other course is for you as well, then I'd apply for joint honors. If you're unsure, I wouldn't. I wasn't sure, so I didn't. I ended up taking history anyway, but I thanked myself later for giving myself that extra time to decide.
Best of luck
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by nolyboy
I am planning on applying to study IR at St Andrew's for 2017 entry. I know that in first year you get to study three subjects in equal amounts regardless of whether you applied for a single subject or joint degree. My question is, is there a difference (in terms of chances of getting accepted) between applying for just IR and applying for IR and something else as a joint degree? Say I wanted to do IR and Philosophy... would it be preferable to apply for just IR (and then do Philosophy in first year and eventually get the joint degree) or to apply for the joint option?

Thanks in advance

I was reading the prospectus and it said that if youre applying to joint honours, the people who make the final decision are the ones with the highest entry requirements. So it kinda put me off joint honours because it means it's not any easier to get into.

I'm very undecided on whether to apply to IR and history or just history so I can't say what's best. Seems inconvenient to apply to a single honours degree and then change it to joint honours, I'm not even sure if you would have to reapply because of how competitive St Andrews is.

I'm kinda leaning towards single honours so that I don't have to deal with the timetabling clashes as much and and the history faculty looks so beautiful. :smile:

Good luck though! I'm considering IR too but I'm just so confused about what decision is best!
Reply 3
Original post by nolyboy

Thanks in advance

Apply for IR and then do philosophy in first year and change to joint once you're in. Bit easier that way as only one school has to accept you
Reply 4
Original post by Thias
Hey, I'm currently studying here as a fresher (so it's new to me). I applied to do straight IR - but my friend applied to do IR and History. We both got the same grades and received offers at similar times. Both IR and History are very competetive courses - and a lot of people who take one will often take the other as a module for the semester (me being one of them). I'm just a student so I really couldn't tell you with any confidence, but my reckoning is no - it shouldn't matter, lots of people I know got in just off the one subject, and lots on joint honors. Basically, if you are confident that the other course is for you as well, then I'd apply for joint honors. If you're unsure, I wouldn't. I wasn't sure, so I didn't. I ended up taking history anyway, but I thanked myself later for giving myself that extra time to decide.
Best of luck

I am in a similar position to the one you were in, so I think I will follow your advice and just apply to IR. Thanks for the detailed reply!
Reply 5
Original post by CSAdam
Apply for IR and then do philosophy in first year and change to joint once you're in. Bit easier that way as only one school has to accept you

Thanks, I think this is what I'll end up doing :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Shadow Hunters
I was reading the prospectus and it said that if youre applying to joint honours, the people who make the final decision are the ones with the highest entry requirements. So it kinda put me off joint honours because it means it's not any easier to get into.

I'm very undecided on whether to apply to IR and history or just history so I can't say what's best. Seems inconvenient to apply to a single honours degree and then change it to joint honours, I'm not even sure if you would have to reapply because of how competitive St Andrews is.

I'm kinda leaning towards single honours so that I don't have to deal with the timetabling clashes as much and and the history faculty looks so beautiful. :smile:

Good luck though! I'm considering IR too but I'm just so confused about what decision is best!

Thanks and best of luck to you too! Both IR and History look like great programmes, I'm sure you'll have fun whatever you decide :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending