The Student Room Group

Super scared for a level biology?

I just started year 12 & picked psychology, biology and media.
I know psychology will be hard work but I find it interesting so will try my hardest. I am absolutely scared for biology. I want to go into either psychology or nursing so I think having biology would be the best option for a level. I'm don't exactly have the science brain but I got a BB in both core and additional science. Does me having a B in science mean I won't get a B/C in a level? I don't want an A, even though it would be a dream come true, as I know that's highly unlikely for me as people who are so science brainy don't even achieve this. I just want a B/C. Is that possible for me even though I got a B at GCSE? Another thing is that, everyone in my biology class is so clever and I don't want to be the only dumb one. Has anyone got tips on how to get a B/C at a level biology?

One thing I forgot to mention is that, we have a new spec which is harder than previous years. 😫😫
You DO want an A, and you can get an A if you work really hard. Don't worry about it and just keep on top of all the work :smile:

And the spec isn't harder
Of course it's possible, you just need to start revising the subject much earlier than gcse. I am starting it, i'm in Year 12 and most of my class so far cope as long as you make efficient notes in class and try to understand the topics in class rather than independent study. If you enjoyed it in Year 11, you will enjoy it this year :smile: it's the same as year 11, just in more depth and detail, good luck!
Original post by fashionliv1
Of course it's possible, you just need to start revising the subject much earlier than gcse. I am starting it, i'm in Year 12 and most of my class so far cope as long as you make efficient notes in class and try to understand the topics in class rather than independent study. If you enjoyed it in Year 11, you will enjoy it this year :smile: it's the same as year 11, just in more depth and detail, good luck!

What spec do you do? Ours was nothing like year 11, we covered totally different stuff...
I've seen the spec, atleast for OCR, and other than re-ordering it there's isn't any difference. Provided you take detailed notes and revise early there will be no issue. The only parts you cannot prepare for are the questions that ask you to recognise similar concepts and apply them to unfamiliar scenarios. Hell you don't even have to do the stupid courseworks which often involve yeast and don't work.
Original post by A-LJLB
What spec do you do? Ours was nothing like year 11, we covered totally different stuff...

WJEC but we have new stuff too which can be hard to grasp but once you know it, you know it forever and it's easy
WJEC but we have new stuff too which can be hard to grasp but once you know it, you know it forever and it's easy

Ah I see, I only have experience with Edexcel which was our board, I wouldn't speak to quickly until you've actually studied it though, prepare for the worst so it doesn't catch you out! Good luck
Original post by A-LJLB
Ah I see, I only have experience with Edexcel which was our board, I wouldn't speak to quickly until you've actually studied it though, prepare for the worst so it doesn't catch you out! Good luck

Tbh the worst part i can see is alpha and beta glucose which i don't quite get yet but since you have less subjects you can spend more time on where you're stuck Anyway, thanks and you too :smile:
Tbh the worst part i can see is alpha and beta glucose which i don't quite get yet but since you have less subjects you can spend more time on where you're stuck Anyway, thanks and you too :smile:

Just keep on top of it all and I'm sure you'll be fine. For our spec we didn't really need to know anything about alpha and beta glucose, other than the different structures. The worst part for me was the huge amount of content, there was just a lot to know!

Quick Reply

Latest