The Student Room Group

BM5 Southampton Medical Applicants 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AcidBase
Thank you. But thinking of loads to say about a topic in 2 minutes, feels like I'd be less prepared than say an MMI which I can prepare for. I can't decide.

You don't need to come up with loads to say. You're given 5 minutes to prepare in silence with paper and a pen. It's not about being knowledgable. It's about forming an opinion, discussing it as a group and backing up your ideas. Most people really enjoy it!

The topics are also things that everyone would have an opinion on. They're not meant to test knowledge as no prior knowledge is assumed. I work at the interviews so have seen about 50 group tasks and I promise they're not terrible at all. MMIs sound much worse. People said last year that they had to wash feet and make plasticine dogs.... weird.
Original post by Neostigmine
You don't need to come up with loads to say. You're given 5 minutes to prepare in silence with paper and a pen. It's not about being knowledgable. It's about forming an opinion, discussing it as a group and backing up your ideas. Most people really enjoy it!

The topics are also things that everyone would have an opinion on. They're not meant to test knowledge as no prior knowledge is assumed. I work at the interviews so have seen about 50 group tasks and I promise they're not terrible at all. MMIs sound much worse. People said last year that they had to wash feet and make plasticine dogs.... weird.

Hahahaha I heard about feet wash thing too. So are you just given the name of the topic or a bit more information too? Last thing I want is it to go in and have to discuss a topic which I don't know anything about. But thank you that has reassured me a bit.

Just this. 5 minutes is plenty of time to write initial thoughts. In my group it took maybe half the 20 minutes to cover those points (a lot of points are thought of by all) but the process of covering those initial points bring up further discussion. You don't need to prepare 20 minutes worth of monologue. If you want to practice just watch or join in some (well structured and managed) debates.
Original post by Alan1980
Just this. 5 minutes is plenty of time to write initial thoughts. In my group it took maybe half the 20 minutes to cover those points (a lot of points are thought of by all) but the process of covering those initial points bring up further discussion. You don't need to prepare 20 minutes worth of monologue. If you want to practice just watch or join in some (well structured and managed) debates.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by AcidBase
Hahahaha I heard about feet wash thing too. So are you just given the name of the topic or a bit more information too? Last thing I want is it to go in and have to discuss a topic which I don't know anything about. But thank you that has reassured me a bit.

It's a discussion question. Are green hats better than red hats? Something everyone could answer given a moment to think about it.

This year we had 1 student leave their interview crying. When I asked them why they were upset they said "The.... *gasp* interviewers *gasp* were *gasp sob cry* so nice to me".

Southampton interviews are very relaxed. I helped at the interviews one year when a guy (who is now going into Year 3) threw a glass of water over himself and the interviewer by accident. He still got a place!

If your UKCAT is almost a sure bet, out of the school leavers (a level students) we give offers to almost 50% of those we interview. That's pretty damn good odds if you ask me!
It's a discussion question. Are green hats better than red hats? Something everyone could answer given a moment to think about it.

This year we had 1 student leave their interview crying. When I asked them why they were upset they said "The.... *gasp* interviewers *gasp* were *gasp sob cry* so nice to me".

Southampton interviews are very relaxed. I helped at the interviews one year when a guy (who is now going into Year 3) threw a glass of water over himself and the interviewer by accident. He still got a place!

If your UKCAT is almost a sure bet, out of the school leavers (a level students) we give offers to almost 50% of those we interview. That's pretty damn good odds if you ask me!

I see, hahahhaha thanks a lot :smile: Yeah my UKCAT is a sure bet. It's just deciding between Manchester and Southampton, Manchester offer 64% which is tempting but have to pass the hurdle of the non-academic form after ranked on UKCAT.
hi i will be starting medicine at Southampton for the BM5 programme in two weeks (2016 entry) !!! Feel free to PM me and ask me any question :smile:
Original post by Alan1980
Having recently done it can I assure you it's very chilled out. I felt very relaxed through the entire process. Current students were there to settle you in and the staff/interviewers were very calm and reassuring. The very opposite of some of the pressure cookers others unis try and create.

I agree Alan. I am also starting medicine this september 2016. The group task was very relaxed and a very open ended question is asked. The key is to make your point, but at the same time not dominate too much.
Hi guys, would 693 avg. be a safe bet for the interview? Asking because the ukcat jumps up and down
Original post by Not_a_horse
Hi guys, would 693 avg. be a safe bet for the interview? Asking because the ukcat jumps up and down

Don't know. No one will know. It's trending down and this year 640 was enough. So I'd like to think so... but there are no guarantee.
Don't know. No one will know. It's trending down and this year 640 was enough. So I'd like to think so... but there are no guarantee.

Which is what I hate most about the ukcat, the fact averages are released after the UCAS deadline, so you don't really know how well you did relative to others
Original post by Not_a_horse
Which is what I hate most about the ukcat, the fact averages are released after the UCAS deadline, so you don't really know how well you did relative to others

Annoying :sadnod:

Don't really agree with using the UKCAT as the main drive for interviews but that's just the way they do it :frown:
Annoying :sadnod:

Don't really agree with using the UKCAT as the main drive for interviews but that's just the way they do it :frown:

You get the ukcat deciles before the ucas deadline. It's only a few days before but you can make a reasonable judgement looking at previous years
Hey there guys I'm considering applying for the A100 or the A101 or both in Southampton Uni. I'm about to start studying my 3rd year Biomedical science and i am predicted a 2:1, I also did my UKCAT last week and managed to get a 727 average overall, my A Levels and GCSEs weren't amazing but they pass the minimum requirements, is there any hope for me :s-smilie:SSSSS. Thanks guys
AAAa? Do you have to have an A in the 4th AS subject? It doesnt say that on the admissions page? Thanks for clarifying
Next Step: Interviews

How do they decide who to interview?
They take the top UKCAT scores and interview those candidates.

When will I hear?
This varies year to year, but usually between December and March. You will get 2 weeks notice so your interview will be 2 weeks or more from when you receive your invitation.

How will I hear?
This was a letter but last year some people got emails. Check both.

Someone has an interview but I haven't heard yet, what does that mean?
Nothing at all. They decide who is getting one and everyone in that lucky list will get one eventually.

How should I prepare for interview?
Read your personal statement.
Read it.
No seriously, read it.

Read the news starting now. Read BBC News Health section if you don't buy a paper regularly. Check NHS Behind the Headlines to get the real understanding.

THIS is how I prepared and is a good place to start. And then here is what happened at my interview.

Where can I practice?
Your college should offer mock interviews.
I'm also happy to do interviews over skype or IM. Drop me a PM.

What will happen on the day?
You will have 2 interviews. 1 on your own with 2 interviewers and one in a group. These can happen in either order and you'll spend the rest of your time there in your group with some current medical students relaxing and chatting.

Who are the interviewers?
These are lecturers, doctors, teachers, admissions staff. Huge variety.

What is the individual interview?
This is a 20 minute interview based loosely on your personal statement with 2 interviewers. You can be asked a range of questions depending on what you have written. Expect - Why medicine? Why here?

What is the group interview?
This is also 20 minutes but you're also given 5 minutes to prepare. You'll be given a topic for discussion and after having 5 minutes to think about it, you will discuss it as a group in front of 2 interviewers.

What questions will come up?
I've listed 2 almost universal questions above. Otherwise the rest will vary enormously from person to person depending on what they say and what is in the PS. People get asked about the history of medicine, the future of medicine, books they mentioned they read, hobbies, ethics, law. Each interview is totally unique and so there isn't any point in trying to work out what you'll be asked.

Just practice answering anything (use the link to my blog on how I prepared) because that is the best way to a) come across unrehearsed and b) be able to answer complete curve ball questions.

What happens after interviews?
You'll get a letter saying if you have been successful or unsuccessful. If this is going to take a while you may get a "further consideration" letter that says you're still in the running. This may not happen until March/April, even if others hear before you.

How do they choose?
After each task, you will be listed as "suitable" or "not suitable". This is then taken into consideration with the rest of your application before an offer is made.

How many interviews and how many offers?
457 interviews and 290 offers.

How will I get an offer?
This is an update on UCAS Track and then a letter follows.

What is the offer?
The offer is the same for everyone - AAAa. They will not be lenient (eg A*A*A*b will not be accepted).

Is it conditional or unconditional?
Last year a few people got unconditional offers but these are reserved for people with their A levels in hand and proven. Everyone else gets an unconditional offer until they get their results or prove old results.
If it is conditional and you send in your certificates, they may not update your status until August Results Day.
AAAa? Do you really have to have an a in the 4th AS? Thanks
Next Step: Interviews

How do they decide who to interview?
They take the top UKCAT scores and interview those candidates.

When will I hear?
This varies year to year, but usually between December and March. You will get 2 weeks notice so your interview will be 2 weeks or more from when you receive your invitation.

How will I hear?
This was a letter but last year some people got emails. Check both.

Someone has an interview but I haven't heard yet, what does that mean?
Nothing at all. They decide who is getting one and everyone in that lucky list will get one eventually.

How should I prepare for interview?
Read your personal statement.
Read it.
No seriously, read it.

Read the news starting now. Read BBC News Health section if you don't buy a paper regularly. Check NHS Behind the Headlines to get the real understanding.

THIS is how I prepared and is a good place to start. And then here is what happened at my interview.

Where can I practice?
Your college should offer mock interviews.
I'm also happy to do interviews over skype or IM. Drop me a PM.

What will happen on the day?
You will have 2 interviews. 1 on your own with 2 interviewers and one in a group. These can happen in either order and you'll spend the rest of your time there in your group with some current medical students relaxing and chatting.

Who are the interviewers?
These are lecturers, doctors, teachers, admissions staff. Huge variety.

What is the individual interview?
This is a 20 minute interview based loosely on your personal statement with 2 interviewers. You can be asked a range of questions depending on what you have written. Expect - Why medicine? Why here?

What is the group interview?
This is also 20 minutes but you're also given 5 minutes to prepare. You'll be given a topic for discussion and after having 5 minutes to think about it, you will discuss it as a group in front of 2 interviewers.

What questions will come up?
I've listed 2 almost universal questions above. Otherwise the rest will vary enormously from person to person depending on what they say and what is in the PS. People get asked about the history of medicine, the future of medicine, books they mentioned they read, hobbies, ethics, law. Each interview is totally unique and so there isn't any point in trying to work out what you'll be asked.

Just practice answering anything (use the link to my blog on how I prepared) because that is the best way to a) come across unrehearsed and b) be able to answer complete curve ball questions.

What happens after interviews?
You'll get a letter saying if you have been successful or unsuccessful. If this is going to take a while you may get a "further consideration" letter that says you're still in the running. This may not happen until March/April, even if others hear before you.

How do they choose?
After each task, you will be listed as "suitable" or "not suitable". This is then taken into consideration with the rest of your application before an offer is made.

How many interviews and how many offers?
457 interviews and 290 offers.

How will I get an offer?
This is an update on UCAS Track and then a letter follows.

What is the offer?
The offer is the same for everyone - AAAa. They will not be lenient (eg A*A*A*b will not be accepted).

Is it conditional or unconditional?
Last year a few people got unconditional offers but these are reserved for people with their A levels in hand and proven. Everyone else gets an unconditional offer until they get their results or prove old results.
If it is conditional and you send in your certificates, they may not update your status until August Results Day.
AAAa?? Do you have to have an 'a' in the 4th AS. It doesn't say that on the admissions page. Thanks for clarifying
You would have had an interview this year and we expect the UKCAT to drop even further for applicants for 2017 entry so I would think you'd be okay.

Why do you expect UKCAT scores to drop this year??
Reply 38
Hi there, I'm a graduate student in biomedical science looking to study here as well but I'm looking to apply for the 5 year course because I know the 4 year course is ridiculously competitive. However having looked at the stats for 2016 I've realised that graduates going for the 5 year course still face fierce competition. My current stats are:

2:1 biomedical Science
UKCAT: total (2060) average (690) Band 1
Plenty of healthcare experience

Do they look at A levels for graduate students going for the 5 year course? Mine aren't great (ABC) so I was hoping they only take degree class into consideration. Anyways...the deadline is coming up soon and I wanted to know based on my stats if anyone thinks it's worth applying. Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by AmaduM
Hi there, I'm a graduate student in biomedical science looking to study here as well but I'm looking to apply for the 5 year course because I know the 4 year course is ridiculously competitive. However having looked at the stats for 2016 I've realised that graduates going for the 5 year course still face fierce competition. My current stats are:

2:1 biomedical Science
UKCAT: total (2060) average (690) Band 1
Plenty of healthcare experience

Do they look at A levels for graduate students going for the 5 year course? Mine aren't great (ABC) so I was hoping they only take degree class into consideration. Anyways...the deadline is coming up soon and I wanted to know based on my stats if anyone thinks it's worth applying. Thanks in advance :smile:

Hey,As for your A levels that would be fine assuming you took Chemistry (you only need a C). What are your GCSE's like?

I too am a graduate looking into the 5 year course. I emailed the uni a while back and using this years scoring system, the cut off was 2100 last year. However with 3 weeks left of testing, who knows, the average my go down and thus (hopefully) the cut off also.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending