The Student Room Group

Should I change Alevel subject? (Struggling with economics)

Hey guys I really need your help (possibly student who took economics/sciences)

Basically I chose chemistry, biology, maths and economics. I find all of them very hard lol but economics is just too much. I feel like im not getting any of it in class, i dont know if its just the way my teacher teaches or if its just not for me. Most of the students in my class are all up to date with economics knowledge and econmy related stuff (i think its cuz they studied it at gcse) whereas im not and am really struggling to understand it and what economics is.

I tried revising but physicandmathstutor.com is currently unavailable so I cant really revise + I dont know which textbook or revsion guide to buy (im doing aqa). Will textbooks/revision guides be useful for economics like how they are with sciences? (Like teach you what the subjects about with clarity so that i can understand and know it)

I did a bit of revision at home during saturday from a random website I learnt a good amount of the topic we were studying in class but still kept making mistakes the lesson after (e.g. the teacher had to correct some of my answers when were asked questions verbally in class)

I find revising stuff like sciences and maths easier cuz its all about learning is facts, definitions, exam techniques and past papers.

Is economics revsion similar to the way you would revise sciences or maths?
So Should I just change it now or should I stick with it?
Which textbook should I get?
Is physicsandmathstutor.com good for economics?
What is the exam like? Is it like sciences - which require revision from a book and past papers?

P.s. I asked my teacher for textbook recommendations he said he would check some out and tell me a few on monday.
Bumpy
Original post by shohaib712
Hey guys I really need your help (possibly student who took economics/sciences)

Basically I chose chemistry, biology, maths and economics. I find all of them very hard lol but economics is just too much. I feel like im not getting any of it in class, i dont know if its just the way my teacher teaches or if its just not for me. Most of the students in my class are all up to date with economics knowledge and econmy related stuff (i think its cuz they studied it at gcse) whereas im not and am really struggling to understand it and what economics is.

I tried revising but physicandmathstutor.com is currently unavailable so I cant really revise + I dont know which textbook or revsion guide to buy (im doing aqa). Will textbooks/revision guides be useful for economics like how they are with sciences? (Like teach you what the subjects about with clarity so that i can understand and know it)

I did a bit of revision at home during saturday from a random website I learnt a good amount of the topic we were studying in class but still kept making mistakes the lesson after (e.g. the teacher had to correct some of my answers when were asked questions verbally in class)

I find revising stuff like sciences and maths easier cuz its all about learning is facts, definitions, exam techniques and past papers.

Is economics revsion similar to the way you would revise sciences or maths?
So Should I just change it now or should I stick with it?
Which textbook should I get?
Is physicsandmathstutor.com good for economics?
What is the exam like? Is it like sciences - which require revision from a book and past papers?

P.s. I asked my teacher for textbook recommendations he said he would check some out and tell me a few on monday.

Hey you'll be fine; I am taking economics and only 3 people in my class took business studies at gcse. The ones who didn't do business/economics are finding it a bit hard, and luckily I already understand some of the concepts. My point is they may be struggling now, but they are no seriously struggling- everybody will catch up.:smile: My advice is that stick with it for at least a couple of weeks and see how you are doing- then you can make up your mind. Another point is that you will be fine doing economics, as you are doing maths (which helps a lot- both subjects complement each other) and chem and bio. Economics is a social science, and you are good at science so I'm sure you will do well!:biggrin:

Good luck!x:h:

Spoiler

Original post by sunshine774
Hey you'll be fine; I am taking economics and only 3 people in my class took business studies at gcse. The ones who didn't do business/economics are finding it a bit hard, and luckily I already understand some of the concepts. My point is they may be struggling now, but they are no seriously struggling- everybody will catch up.:smile: My advice is that stick with it for at least a couple of weeks and see how you are doing- then you can make up your mind. Another point is that you will be fine doing economics, as you are doing maths (which helps a lot- both subjects complement each other) and chem and bio. Economics is a social science, and you are good at science so I'm sure you will do well!:biggrin:

Good luck!x:h:

Spoiler

Thank you sooo much for the help!!! :biggrin:
YES I think it was gcse business! I will try sticking with it for another 2 weeks.

Can you share any tips for revision or textbook suggestions?

Thank you!!!

P.s. no prob - your reply was extremely helpful :smile:
Bump
Talk to your teacher, do some work and get it marked so they can assess how much you understand and where you might be going wrong. You need grades. You cna drop at AS if you really need to. Did you have soemthing else in mind?You should give it a go first.
Thank you sooo much for the help!!! :biggrin:
YES I think it was gcse business! I will try sticking with it for another 2 weeks.

Can you share any tips for revision or textbook suggestions?

Thank you!!!

P.s. no prob - your reply was extremely helpful :smile:

Sure! I had some very useful help from some current A2 students on here yesterday and they said use websites and videos like tutor2u, physics and maths tutor.com and econsdal videos.
I did gcse business studies so I have some idea of what to do in essays= remember to quote from the extract/ case study to give evidence; when you write a conclusion make sure you don't say 'in conclusion', just answer the question!

I cannot stress the importance of this, but evaluate and answer the question in every paragraph! Also using statistics is very useful. Make sure you learn key terms and USE them in your essay- it shows you know what you're talking about! You must know the key 'buzz' words of an essay question, such as assess, evaluate, define, analyse, suggest etc. If you pm me your email address I've got some useful sheets to send to you on exam technique/essays!:smile:

Lastly, as it is economics make sure you learn the diagrams very well and use them in your essay answers! Reading the economist and similar magazines/websites will really help broaden your knowledge- you need to know about current affairs.

I don't know about textbooks as I do OCR AS economics, but I have a document I can send to you which covers the entire course for all exam boards- it is very useful. Lastly, give your teacher essays to mark weekly; it will really help you!:smile:
OMG thank you so much for the amazing tips I will definitely pm your email address! By case studies, where do you find them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the help. Should I start giving my teachers past papers that I have completed to mark (I should be starting them in February/march)
I was thinking about psychology but I didn't like Sociology gcse - I found it boring. So I decided not to chose it cuz i thought it was going to be similar in terms of exams and the style of learning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the help. Should I start giving my teachers past papers that I have completed to mark (I should be starting them in February/march)
I was thinking about psychology but I didn't like Sociology gcse - I found it boring. So I decided not to chose it cuz i thought it was going to be similar in terms of exams and the style of learning.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey do U understand economic now ? I feel like I'm a bit like u but then when I watch videos and stuff I get it 😊 But there are things which I cannot get my head around
Nope, I'm planning on dropping it sorry. I'm finding it hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope, I'm planning on dropping it sorry. I'm finding it hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here I'm dropping it too at AS

Quick Reply

Latest