The Student Room Group

Why is eating pig okay, but not eating dog?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ToussJ
Pigs can also be trained to help blind people. Also they can hunt for truffles. And pigs aren't ugly either, no more than some breeds of dog. Finally there's more meat on a dog than on a chicken. Your point?

Comparing chicken meat to a dog's?
God, I bet your taste in food is awful,
I bet you're that one guy that orders only fries for takeaway.
Original post by Carthaginian

Wow, the pinnacle of banter right here ladies and gentleman.
Reply 42

You are a genius-level debater...your eloquence is astounding. To reply to my points with "I bet you order only fries"...astounding. I capitulate to your superior intellect.

In case you hadn't noticed, I was comparing QUANTITY of meat.
Reply 43
Original post by BobSausage
I never said I disagree with eating dogs, if it was efficient and healthy and regularly available I'd eat it, and yeah there ain't even half as many pet pigs as dogs.

The question in this thread was not if its ok to eat pig then why is eating dog not ok. You were clearly trying to justify the eating of pig while at the same time saying eating dog was wrong for a number of ignorant reasons. I was just correcting you on them with facts.

As for suffering... any animal can feel that, but meat is nutritional, and in many ways it is better than supplements etc. and having to take pills etc. or have a ridiculously limited diet.
And meat tastes nice.

Yes all animals can fell suffering- congratulation for working that out. Did you do that all by yourself?

Also if you don't eat meat you don't need to take supplements. There are many natural foods you can eat to still get what you need. That's why there are many vegan body builders (never mind vegetarian).

And there is also the factor of culture, we've been brought up in an environment where dogs are considered pets and pigs are considered food.

Yes just because people have a biased view that doesn't make them right. Plus most of these dogs that are killed for meat are not even pets.

What you propose instead is that we live without meat, which is just a stupid unsustainable and ignorant idea from someone who has no understanding of how natural life occurs.

I didn't propose anything on this thread but since you went there:

Arguing that living without meat is sustainable is quite simply ridiculous. We can live healthy live styles without having to eat meat and ironically continuing to eat meat is actually unsustainable.
Eating meat is unsustainable- it is overheating the planet. We humans eat about 230m tonnes of animals a year, twice as much as we did 30 years ago. We mostly breed four species chickens, cows, sheep and pigs all of which need vast amounts of food and water, emit methane and other greenhouse gases and produce mountains of physical waste.

Eating meat also takes up a lot of land. A human population expected to grow by 3 billion, a shift in developing countries to eating more meat, and global consumption on track to double in 40 years point to the mother of all food crises down the road. How much food we grow is not just limited by the amount of available land but meat-eaters need far more space than vegetarians. A Bangladeshi family living off rice, beans, vegetables and fruit may live on an acre of land or less, while the average American,
needs 20 times that.Nearly 30% of the available ice-free surface area of the planet is now used by livestock, or for growing food for those animals. One billion people go hungry every day, but livestock now consumes the majority of the world's crops. A Cornell University study in 1997 found that around 13m hectares of land in the US were used to grow vegetables, rice, fruit, potatoes and beans, but 302m were used for livestock. The problem is that farm animals are inefficient converters of food to flesh. Broiler chickens are the best, needing around 3.4kg to produce 1kg of flesh, but pigs need 8.4kg for that kilo. Meat is also actually poisoning the earth. Industrial-scale agriculture now dominates the western livestock and poultry industries, and a single farm can now generate as much waste as a city. A cow excretes around 40kg of manure for every kilogram of edible beef it puts on and when you have many thousands crowded into a small area the effect can be dramatic. Their manure and urine is funnelled into massive waste lagoons sometimes holding as many as 40m gallons. These cesspools often break, leak or overflow, polluting underground water supplies and rivers with nitrogen, phosphorus and nitrates.
The sheer quantity of animals now being raised for humans to eat now threatens the earth's biodiversity. More than one third of the world's 825 "ecoregions" identified by conservation group WWF are said to be threatened by livestock and giant US group Conservation International reckons that 23 out of 40-odd global "biodiversity hotspots" the places considered most valuable for life are now seriously affected by livestock production.

Eating meat is also draining the world oil. The western animal farming economy is based on oil, which is why there were food riots in 23 countries when the oil price peaked in 2008. Every link in the chain of events that brings meat to the table demands electricity, from the production of the fertiliser put on the land to grow the animal feed, to pumping the water they need from the rivers or deep underground, to the fuel needed to transport the meat in giant refrigerated ships and the supermarket shelves. According to some studies, as much as one-third of all fossil fuels produced in the United States now go towards animal agriculture.

Meat is also costly in many ways. Polls suggest that 5-6% of the population eats no meat at all, with many millions of others consciously reducing the amount of meat they eat or only eating it occasionally. This is backed by new government figures which show that last year we ate 5% less meat by weight than in 2005. But the quantities are still staggering: according to the Vegetarian Society, the average British carnivore eats over 11,000 animals in a life time: 1 goose, 1 rabbit, 4 cattle, 18 pigs, 23 sheep and lambs, 28 ducks, 39 turkeys, 1,158 chickens, 3,593 shellfish and 6,182 fish. For this, say the vegetarians, the meat eaters get increased chances of obesity, cancers, heart diseases and other illnesses as well as a hole in the pocket. A meat is generally considered twice as expensive as a vegetarian one.
Do you think a tiger gives a ... when it is tearing the throat out of a gazelle? Do you think it cares that this animal is in pain? Do you think that tiger is considering meat substitutes, nuts and berries?
Since when did we use what a wild animal like a tiger does to justify what humans do? wild animals also rape their own species over and over again so going by your logic that means that humans raping each other is ok. Your logic is just stupid and retarded and you'll no doubt contradict yourself by trying to argue otherwise.Also humans don't even eat animals that actually kill and eat others. They eat the animals that just eat vegetation. So to argue its ok for me to eat these animals because they eat other is just moronic to say the least

And again on your pain point, yeah the industry does kill them in the quickest and least painful way possible, they don't cut them open whilst they're still alive, so they only suffer for a matter of seconds so that kinda makes your point nul and void.

The industry doesn't care about these animals pain at all. These animals in factory farms suffer everyday of their lives and they go through a lot of unnecessary suffering and they certainly aren't killed in the quickest way possible. Even the stunning process doesn't work half the time so they are lucky if they are actually knocked out when they are getting cut open.

Please kind yourself an ice pack before you get burned anymore.

Please go and educate yourself a bit more in this area as your ignorance is pathetic.
Reply 44

Wow. When did you turn into such a savage? :rolleyes:
Over a pig... Argue about Brexit ffs. Majority of pigs produced aren't very organic and are force fed etc. Why do you care? Can't compare a pig that has a commercial life span of 2-3 weeks to a dog who has the intelligence capacity of a 3 year old child.

Posted from u a hoe mobile
Reply 46
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
Dogs are pack animals and are brilliant at communicating with humans, makes empathising with them very easy, especially if you've grown up with them.

So are pigs.
Reply 47
Original post by EnemyofState
Over a pig... Argue about Brexit ffs. Majority of pigs produced aren't very organic and are force fed etc. Why do you care? Can't compare a pig that has a commercial life span of 2-3 weeks to a dog who has the intelligence capacity of a 3 year old child.

Pigs are smarter than dos so don't even try and use that intelligence argument you ignorant fool.
Original post by Sough38
Pigs are smarter than dos so don't even try and use that intelligence argument you ignorant fool.

Omg triggered. Give me a min or two to process how I'm going to respond properly to your uneducated answer. Brb.

Reply 49
Omg triggered. Give me a min or two to process how I'm going to respond properly to your uneducated answer. Brb.

How is it uneducated? I just told you the truth.

Go do some research and don't be so ignorant.
Actually I just realised I don't give a **** :wink:

Reply 51
Actually I just realised I don't give a **** :wink:

Yeah run away scared when you realise you'll stand no chance in a rational debate.
Tbh this is a pointless argument and has no correct ethical answer. Humans are the most unsustainable destroying species on this planet. Do you care what happened to the animal that is on your plate?
Ok..common sense will tell you that as humans, we have developed a relationship with the dog and therefore the value of dogs is higher than pigs. Anything to argue about there?
You must have a pig as a pet I assume, say hi for me

Because you can't get bacon from dogs, at least I don't think you can
Solution found! XD

Posted from u a *** mobile
Original post by Sough38
Yeah run away scared when you realise you'll stand no chance in a rational debate.

Where u gone keyboard warrior

Reply 56
Tbh this is a pointless argument and has no correct ethical answer. Humans are the most unsustainable destroying species on this planet. Do you care what happened to the animal that is on your plate?
Ok..common sense will tell you that as humans, we have developed a relationship with the dog and therefore the value of dogs is higher than pigs. Anything to argue about there?
You must have a pig as a pet I assume, say hi for me

Some people do actually care about the animal that is on your plate yes.

That's a stupid argument you are putting forward. What you're basically saying is that its wrong because i say its wrong because i like dogs better than pigs. The suffering of a dog is wrong because i have a dog as a pet but the suffering of a pig is ok because i don't like pigs. No thats not how it works in the rational world. If you criticise someone for eating dog while you also eat meat then you are a DUMB HYPOCRITE.

In India you have developed strong relationships with cows so by that logic eating a cow is worse than eating a dog.

Please get out of here you ignorance fool- your ignorance is sickening.
Reply 57
Where u gone keyboard warrior

EnemyofState? Your an enemy of intelligence never mind the state.
I have been told by various people if you leave pork chops for like two days maggots come out. So dog might be healthier than pigs but it's that in our world you just don't eat man's bff :no:
Original post by Sough38
Some people do actually care about the animal that is on your plate yes.

That's a stupid argument you are putting forward. What you're basically saying is that its wrong because i say its wrong because i like dogs better than pigs. The suffering of a dog is wrong because i have a dog as a pet but the suffering of a pig is ok because i don't like pigs. No thats not how it works in the rational world. If you criticise someone for eating dog while you also eat meat then you are a DUMB HYPOCRITE.

In India you have developed strong relationships with cows so by that logic eating a cow is worse than eating a dog.

Please get out of here you ignorance fool- your ignorance is sickening.

Ouch, by the looks of it ... You're the one who is the ignorant fool.
You clearly don't read what I sent so maybe I should remind you.
I said, there is no correct ethical answer to if a pig or a dog should be eaten. In this current day, in most western countries dogs are more valued than pigs, hence why we don't slaughter then everyday.
So please refrain from responding with uneducated stupid comments what have no sense of valid point. Thx

Quick Reply

Latest