The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The officer did the right thing, anyone who threatens the life of a police officer should be shot on sight.

The parents need to be locked up ASAP. While I am a staunch supporter of the right to bear arms, there is zero reason to point a gun in the direction of an officer. I am certain the parents are to blame - they're probably part of the BLM cancer and told the boy that police = bad.
Original post by Tempest II
I do sometimes wonder why police don't shoot for the leg; at least that way the guy should survive.
I suppose it's easier to aim for the centre of mass though & if it's your life in danger you're going to want to safeguard it.
Still, certainly for kids I definitely think a shot to a non-lethal area should be the first option where possible. At the end of the day, the officer has to make their own decision though.

Because if you think someone has a gun, and you think they might use it on you or someone else shooting them in the leg isn't going to prevent them from doing that. In fact it might provoke them to.
Original post by KingBradly
Sounds like a very sad and unfortunate incident, where no-one is particularly to blame, but perhaps the police can learn from it.

There isn't really anything to be learnt by the police, it was the kids (also his parents) fault.
I do sometimes wonder why police don't shoot for the leg; at least that way the guy should survive.

Last I checked a bullet in the leg doesn't stop you from shooting a gun.
Its kinda Ironic how black people now think its ok to generalise and be racit towards white people, even though they persecute anyone whos racist to themselves. The hypocrisy is astonishing.
Original post by The_Opinion
There isn't really anything to be learnt by the police, it was the kids (also his parents) fault.

Yeh, guess so.
Original post by Popsiclez
Its kinda Ironic how black people now think its ok to generalise and be racit towards white people, even though they persecute anyone whos racist to themselves. The hypocrisy is astonishing.

Well, that's exactly how the victim complex works, and its typical of SJWs: the solution to discrimination is discrimination.
Reply 27
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Non lethal shot would have been better , but the kid wtfwas he doing

This isn't a movie if the officer went for a non lethal shot he would still likely have been **** himself even if he somehow managed to hit the target.
Reply 28
I suppose it's easier to aim for the centre of mass though & if it's your life in danger you're going to want to safeguard it.
Still, certainly for kids I definitely think a shot to a non-lethal area should be the first option where possible. At the end of the day, the officer has to make their own decision though.

This mentions why they don't shoot for the leg.
https://www.pfoa.co.uk/110/shooting-to-wound
Educate yourselves.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/07/11/arent-more-white-people-than-black-people-killed-by-police-yes-but-no/?utm_term=.82cd46083c7e

I really can't believe I live in a world where people are saying a child deserved to be murdered - because that's what it is. If this was a white child, without a doubt, this would be equally wrong! But the issue here lies in the institutional racism within America. There is undoubtable an issue and if you say otherwise you are wrong. Read a history book on American civil rights and tell me that there is progress. Ignoring racism won't make it go away. Educate yourselves first.

And don't get me started on America's lax gun control.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by liviward36
Educate yourselves.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/07/11/arent-more-white-people-than-black-people-killed-by-police-yes-but-no/?utm_term=.82cd46083c7e

I really can't believe I live in a world where people are saying a child deserved to be murdered - because that's what it is. If this was a white child, without a doubt, this would be equally wrong! But the issue here lies in the institutional racism within America. There is undoubtable an issue and if you say otherwise you are wrong. Read a history book on American civil rights and tell me that there is progress. Ignoring racism won't make it go away. Educate yourselves first.

Care to educate yourself? Or are you simply ignoring whites being disproportionately shot relative to violent crimes committed? How about that the standard response to apparent resistance to arrest where life is threatened, even if it is somebody being stupid enough to wave a toy gun around, is to remove the threat?

The Washington post had a nice little interactive infographic like thing showing all lethal police shootings last year and it could be broken down in a great many ways, lots of filters. Obviously the main one you want to look at is "unarmed black" only 19, in that you got unintended collateral, mistaken identity responding to a violent individual, claims by the deceased to be armed and willing to kill on the phone to the police, and a lot of stupid behavior, just like with the whites.

Most of the time when people get shot by police they've done something idiotic.
Reply 31
Educate yourselves.

Yes the person who aims a gun at police and is shot it's because of racism not the aiming the gun at police part, do police officers have to wait until they are fatally shot before they can defend themselves just so they aren't called racist?

Maybe instead of looking at the population statistics your link should look at police interactions, if a group commits 50% of the violent crime it's not a big leap to assume they would likely be shot at a similar rate and amazingly they are.
Reply 32
Original post by Jammy Duel
Care to educate yourself? Or are you simply ignoring whites being disproportionately shot relative to violent crimes committed? How about that the standard response to apparent resistance to arrest where life is threatened, even if it is somebody being stupid enough to wave a toy gun around, is to remove the threat?

The Washington post had a nice little interactive infographic like thing showing all lethal police shootings last year and it could be broken down in a great many ways, lots of filters. Obviously the main one you want to look at is "unarmed black" only 19, in that you got unintended collateral, mistaken identity responding to a violent individual, claims by the deceased to be armed and willing to kill on the phone to the police, and a lot of stupid behavior, just like with the whites.

Most of the time when people get shot by police they've done something idiotic.

You also have BLM's favourite case trying to steal an officers gun which is included as being unarmed.
Original post by joecphillips
You also have BLM's favourite case trying to steal an officers gun which is included as being unarmed.

Or has just been disarmed also is counted under some compilations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
okay so before i start here's another one that shows both sides of this story.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/31/the-counted-police-killings-2015-young-black-men

Original post by JohnGreek
The kid acted negligently, as explained above. That doesn't make him "deserve" death, but it sure does explain the officer's reaction. I haven't seen anyone deny that "lax" gun control isn't at least part of the problem here - the issue is whether more gun control will actually help in the US.

Your main point has little to do with this particular case other than include the classic condescending "racism" and "educate yourself" comments that we've come to expect.

Yes the person who aims a gun at police and is shot it's because of racism not the aiming the gun at police part, do police officers have to wait until they are fatally shot before they can defend themselves just so they aren't called racist?

Maybe instead of looking at the population statistics your link should look at police interactions, if a group commits 50% of the violent crime it's not a big leap to assume they would likely be shot at a similar rate and amazingly they are.

First things first blacks are charged disproportionately to the number of whites in the US as many case are dropped. There is no way to guarantee the reason as to why but America's history certainly lead us towards the answers, after all history has a habit of repeating its self (whipping out all the cliche's for you guys here! :wink: ).

Secondly, I studied HAVE studied the American civil rights movement and believe me I was enlightened. It's hard to imagine those kind of extremes and until i studied it I could never have but after I could do nothing but relate it to the current climates.

But now lets move onto the specifics of this case shall we? Somewhat understandably the police officer was most likely afraid for his life because a black child pulled a 'gun' at him. Yes from some distance a BB gun COULD be mistaken for a real gun. The question I ask you is how many while children are killed by American police?
Many are brought up to be, even if only subconciously, prejudiced against blacks. I know for one that when I see a black male in the streets I feel a little on edge. I AM A BLACK TEENAGER MYSELF! I can only attribute this to the fact that I live in an area so white, in my college of 3000, there are approximately 5 black girls, two of which are mixed raced!

Aside from the issue of racism, this is a classic case of 'think now, shoot later'. No other country in the world has gun control issue like America does. And I can tell you now that the American Declaration no where defines 'arms' as guns. Especially when the power of guns now would have been almost totally inconceivable then. Honestly the idea that in some states people can walk around almost freely and unregulated terrifies me. Stronger gun control laws would undoubtedly lead to a change of mentality as there would be less guns available. And no, I dont believe this would end like the prohibition because rather than restricting solely the American's this would actually bring America into line with the rest of the world.
Reply 35
okay so before i start here's another one that shows both sides of this story.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/31/the-counted-police-killings-2015-young-black-men

First things first blacks are charged disproportionately to the number of whites in the US as many case are dropped. There is no way to guarantee the reason as to why but America's history certainly lead us towards the answers, after all history has a habit of repeating its self (whipping out all the cliche's for you guys here! :wink: ).

Secondly, I studied HAVE studied the American civil rights movement and believe me I was enlightened. It's hard to imagine those kind of extremes and until i studied it I could never have but after I could do nothing but relate it to the current climates.

But now lets move onto the specifics of this case shall we? Somewhat understandably the police officer was most likely afraid for his life because a black child pulled a 'gun' at him. Yes from some distance a BB gun COULD be mistaken for a real gun. The question I ask you is how many while children are killed by American police?
Many are brought up to be, even if only subconciously, prejudiced against blacks. I know for one that when I see a black male in the streets I feel a little on edge. I AM A BLACK TEENAGER MYSELF! I can only attribute this to the fact that I live in an area so white, in my college of 3000, there are approximately 5 black girls, two of which are mixed raced!

Aside from the issue of racism, this is a classic case of 'think now, shoot later'. No other country in the world has gun control issue like America does. And I can tell you now that the American Declaration no where defines 'arms' as guns. Especially when the power of guns now would have been almost totally inconceivable then. Honestly the idea that in some states people can walk around almost freely and unregulated terrifies me. Stronger gun control laws would undoubtedly lead to a change of mentality as there would be less guns available. And no, I dont believe this would end like the prohibition because rather than restricting solely the American's this would actually bring America into line with the rest of the world.

All of those things are irrelevant here ask yourself this when does a police officer have a right to life and protect his life? If this was a white child who pulled a gun on a police officer they would have been shot.

As a black teen why is it you speak out against someone being shot for pointing a gun at a police officer but not these http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/east-finchley-shooting-bevvil-anny-ekofo-shot-dead-london-named-a7310031.html poor victims of gang violence that effects young black people.

Once again I ask you does the police officer have the basic human right to life? Includeing the right to defend himself when he believes his life is in danger? it is shoot now think later because shooting is the only way to guarantee you have a later. Can you honestly tell that the gun is fake by the picture? It looks real and the officer has a split second before his life could be over but you know officers lives don't matter to you, they need to be killed before they can defend themselves.

Maybe if the democrats didn't stop a program that was tough on illegal guns then gun crime would be reduced as it is illegal guns used in most major crimes, now ask why did they block the program? Did it not work? No, it did reduce gun crime, were groups like the NRA opposed to it? No, they supported it, the reason it was blocked is because it mostly effected the black community.

That new link once again ignores crime statistics, is it racist if one group commits more crime then has more police interaction that could then end with this result?
(edited 7 years ago)
This isn't a movie if the officer went for a non lethal shot he would still likely have been **** himself even if he somehow managed to hit the target.

Yeah it was a suggestion dont get all triggered
Reply 37
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Yeah it was a suggestion dont get all triggered

I'm not triggered I just point out that thinking like that is stupid and would likely get more officers killed.
I'm not triggered I just point out that thinking like that is stupid and would likely get more officers killed.

Non lethal shot would render the kid unable to fire , it requires better accuracy but it's not impossible.
Reply 39
Original post by z33
don't BB guns legally have to have that bright neon orange tip so you know it ain't real?
Don't people legally have to not rob and kill people?

Latest

Trending

Trending