The Student Room Group

How to begin personal statement!

Help! School deadline for UCAS now looming and I need a capturing way of opening my personal statement. Applying for French and Spanish so maybe an interesting fact?
There are some examples of language personal statements here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Category:Languages_Personal_Statements, have a read and get inspired.
-Write a paragraph why you want to study languages, what are your eventual career goals, personal motivations etc?
-Write second paragraph what hard skills and knowledge you've gained from previous study (e.g: grammar etc)
-Write about your soft skills, e.g: self studying skills, time keeping etc. This would be a good place to mention any skills picked up by any employment you might have and relate them to the course at hand
-Maybe include a few lines about hobbies and other stuff.
-Show your passion and thinking. For example don't write 'I am passionate about languages' write how many extra language books you've read, any extra-curricular lessons you've done and your thoughts on any extra reading done. If you got any secondary school awards or high UMS at a-level in your course mention them here.

I hope this helps a little :smile:
-Say everything you know they want to hear.

-Dont be boring. i.e intelligent puns/plays on words to do with the course.

-Use key words to do with the course to show you know about the course already.

-Don't be cliche. You'll see examples of overused phrases/words when you...

-Use the internet to your full advantage by looking at different PS' for the same course.
Original post by TruthBeTold'
-Dont be boring. i.e intelligent puns/plays on words to do with the course.

I agree about not being boring, but there's no need to be overly cringe either.
Reply 5
You need to capture their attention. They read hundreds of applications and I'd be surprised if they read the first few paragraphs never mind the entire statement!

Do NOT start with something like "I've always been interested in.." or "from an early age..", instead start with something punchy. Have you done any work experience or placements? Can you incorporate something from that in?
Original post by pizzanomics
I agree about not being boring, but there's no need to be overly cringe either.

Which is why I put intelligent in bold
Which is why I put intelligent in bold

Puns are still painful to read regardless of whether they're intelligent or not. It's a personal statement not a stand-up routine.
Puns are still painful to read regardless of whether they're intelligent or not. It's a personal statement not a stand-up routine.

Maybe because you lack the intelligence and charisma to process them.I can also back up my claim with the anecdote of me using puns in my PS and I got 5/5 offers.

No one said it is a stand-up routine.

Wait a minute. Take a look at he pun in your username. Now that's what you call 'painful to read.'
Maybe because you lack the intelligence and charisma to process them.I can also back up my claim with the anecdote of me using puns in my PS and I got 5/5 offers.

No one said it is a stand-up routine.

Wait a minute. Take a look at he pun in your username. Now that's what you call 'painful to read.'

Ouch. I got 5/5 offers last year and another offer this year without using puns. What's your point?

>implying i'm the first person to ever use the word pizzanomics

Claaaaaaaaaaaaassic TSR.
"In the beginning god created the heaven and the earth" is always a good start :wink:
Ouch. I got 5/5 offers last year and another offer this year without using puns. What's your point?

>implying i'm the first person to ever use the word pizzanomics

Claaaaaaaaaaaaassic TSR.

Still cringe. As was your extensive use of a's.

Well done

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending