The Student Room Group

The Arsenal Thread XXV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rk2k14
Yep, we were devastated when we failed to succeed in the Europa League.

Especially when Coutinho basically ended Varela's career :wink:
Spurs losing at their home from home. While we get a point at PSG.
Original post by Lúcio
***** pls, it's 8th!!!!

We both know if you go out in the R16 every year, there's just no point participating.
At least when we're in Europe, we get to the latter stages.

Not pointless. Got to get that Champions League £££ and to make sure the season ticket holders get their 6 season ticket cup games :wink:
Tottenham are bottom and have to travel to Russia next. Love it.
Original post by leinad2012
Not pointless. Got to get that Champions League £££ and to make sure the season ticket holders get their 6 season ticket cup games :wink:

True 😂

Not gonna lie mate, I'd hate to be an Arsenal supporter.
Not even having a dig, it must just be so infuriating having a backwards manager and literally no progress season after season.

Like I know Liverpool don't exactly win trophies or finish consistently high in the league, but at least we have a great manager and we're bloody entertaining to watch.
Original post by Lúcio
True 😂

Not gonna lie mate, I'd hate to be an Arsenal supporter.
Not even having a dig, it must just be so infuriating having a backwards manager and literally no progress season after season.

Like I know Liverpool don't exactly win trophies or finish consistently high in the league, but at least we have a great manager and we're bloody entertaining to watch.

But you've only had an entertaining manager for 6 months. Before then you had a boring manager with as much "character" as a slug ironically.

The lack of variability is dull sure, but better top 4 than only top 4 in what, once in the last 8 years?
But you've only had an entertaining manager for 6 months. Before then you had a boring manager with as much "character" as a slug ironically.

The lack of variability is dull sure, but better top 4 than only top 4 in what, once in the last 8 years?

Just let him have his moment. It just makes the inevitable meltdown funnier.
Original post by James.Carnell
Just let him have his moment. It just makes the inevitable meltdown funnier.

My favourite moment was when they beat Dortmund in a pre season, and thought they were going to win the treble :rofl:

Heck even this pre season, they beat Barcelona and got gassed :rofl:

I did say I wasn't meaning it as a dig, so no need to turn it in to one mate...

Well Rodgers himself was meh but there's no denying our football was amazing to watch under him.
Klopp is much more of a personality, but we've certainly become no less boring.

Well the thing about Arsenal is that they're amazingly consistent but - as said many times - they're an "almost" team. Really good at being in the big competitions, but they never really do more than participate.

We vary so much more but the way things stand, I'd back a Liverpool team under Klopp to win the title before Wenger would again with Arsenal.
Original post by Lúcio
I did say I wasn't meaning it as a dig, so no need to turn it in to one mate...

Well Rodgers himself was meh but there's no denying our football was amazing to watch under him.
Klopp is much more of a personality, but we've certainly become no less boring.

Well the thing about Arsenal is that they're amazingly consistent but - as said many times - they're an "almost" team. Really good at being in the big competitions, but they never really do more than participate.

We vary so much more but the way things stand, I'd back a Liverpool team under Klopp to win the title before Wenger would again with Arsenal.

Fair enough mate I didn't mean it to be confrontational. Your football is entertaining but isn't that more infuriating? Knowing you're capable of such good football but your back 4 letting you down again and again?
Fair enough mate I didn't mean it to be confrontational. Your football is entertaining but isn't that more infuriating? Knowing you're capable of such good football but your back 4 letting you down again and again?

Of course it is. It pains me to see us tear too defences apart and then lose to teams like Burnley for example.

I think the difference for us is that we have a manager and a set of players that are capable of winning a title.
I certainly don't see it happening anytime soon, but you look at what's needed in our team and it's literally as simple as fixing a few defensive positions.

Easier said than done though... 🙄
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-sanchez-cross-8835664#rlabs=2%20rt$sitewide%20p$2

So he puts Iwobi at LW and we get bummed down that side in the first half. Yeah... great idea.
"Wenger was concerned Sanchez was too selfish playing on the wing and did not track back enough, so is keen to make him work from a more central attacking position."
Original post by Lúcio
Of course it is. It pains me to see us tear too defences apart and then lose to teams like Burnley for example.

I think the difference for us is that we have a manager and a set of players that are capable of winning a title.
I certainly don't see it happening anytime soon, but you look at what's needed in our team and it's literally as simple as fixing a few defensive positions.

Easier said than done though... 🙄

Op think the issue for both of us is that our squads just aren't as good as united or city (or our managers for that matter). Depth wise we look good, but we just don't have enough world class players to allow Ozil and Sanchez to have poor games and us to still win.
Op think the issue for both of us is that our squads just aren't as good as united or city (or our managers for that matter). Depth wise we look good, but we just don't have enough world class players to allow Ozil and Sanchez to have poor games and us to still win.

That depends how you see things.
We know we can't compete with the bigger teams in terms of spend so we create a system where players like Lallana can be the best on the pitch.

We now have a side where we don't have world class players like KDB/Aguero, but our style of play doesn't need one. Obviously where we lose out is that game-winning quality where goals are scored out of absolutely nothing, but that's what the money buys them.

Still a long way to go but I'm hopeful of us getting top 4. Getting Karius in goal and a settled back 4 should help at the back, and obviously nothing needs changing going forward...
Original post by Lúcio
That depends how you see things.
We know we can't compete with the bigger teams in terms of spend so we create a system where players like Lallana can be the best on the pitch.

We now have a side where we don't have world class players like KDB/Aguero, but our style of play doesn't need one. Obviously where we lose out is that game-winning quality where goals are scored out of absolutely nothing, but that's what the money buys them.

Still a long way to go but I'm hopeful of us getting top 4. Getting Karius in goal and a settled back 4 should help at the back, and obviously nothing needs changing going forward...

What's it all about Luke.
Just realised I called Luke "op". How formal :biggrin:
Smoked weed before games... still better than Giroud.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/arsenal-legend-ian-wright-nearly-8838845
Reply 437
Wright was 420 gang.
Wenger being very sensible in easing Xhaka and Perez in imo, gives them more of a chance to form the understanding with the rest of the team. He knows that the fans can very quickly turn on them.
We are a solid XI but we are aids/HIV positive with Walcott/AOC.

Not just them, but in terms of starters - this is our absolute problem.

Walcott/OX are such awful awful awful awful players, cant you see this?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest