The Student Room Group

Children's Nursing 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by futurechildnurse
Hi,my personal statements all done. I didnt have to change to much of it from last year,just hope thats ok. :/

In terms of exprience i have:babysitting,primary school,nursery,youth work,support work and hopefully hospital work soon. How about you?

In reply to my earlier post,i think the reason i didnt get a place,was due to my nerves getting the better of me and not answering questions very well. I have been working on that now though.

You need to be careful that you don't plagiarise yourself though. All PS's are put through similarity software and if it's similar to your last PS it might be flagged up. Just to be on the safe side I would ask the uni's that you're applying to what their process is.
Good luck with your application!
Original post by lilibet01
You need to be careful that you don't plagiarise yourself though. All PS's are put through similarity software and if it's similar to your last PS it might be flagged up. Just to be on the safe side I would ask the uni's that you're applying to what their process is.
Good luck with your application!

Thank you. I have contacted ucas about this and they said they will not plagirise me,as its all my own work. I will try and change some of the setences and delete some parts that arent really relevant as they are about college and i left a year ago! I will then explain how my job and volunteering,links well with nursing. Do you think that will be enough of a change? So scared now. Xx
Thank you. I have contacted ucas about this and they said they will not plagirise me,as its all my own work. I will try and change some of the setences and delete some parts that arent really relevant as they are about college and i left a year ago! I will then explain how my job and volunteering,links well with nursing. Do you think that will be enough of a change? So scared now. Xx

You can plagiarise your own work if you submit it for more than one assignment so PS's are probably different. However they will be checked and you would have to make sure that UCAS or the uni's knew that it was your original PS if there's a high percentage of similarity. Personally I wouldn't take the risk and completely rewrite it but use it as the framework for your new one.
The thing is im applying for the same course as last year,so my reasons for applying are exactly the same,just got more work experience
@lilibet01 x
Reply 24
Original post by wbnurse
Good luck guys :smile: when doing my personal statement I found the ucas personal statement guide really helpful!

Thank you I will have a look :smile:
Reply 25
Waiting on the hospital to get back to me about the volunteering, I contacted them yesterday and they hadn't received the form back from one of my references and she is currently away on holiday but a friend who is registered nurse offered to do one for me and sent it back same day so i'm hoping the hospital will be in touch soon
Hi! I'm applying for Children's Nursing for next September! I'm applying to Kings College London, Manchester, Cardiff, Southampton and possibly Surrey/John Moores, but my first choice is Kings College at the moment! I drafted my personal statement over the summer and I'm quite proud of it so far, it's just so difficult trying to explain why you want to do to the course without sounding stereotypical or like a cliché. I get back to school on Tuesday and I'm super excited to start the application process to be honest, I just want to get there now!!!!
Reply 27
Hi guys, I am going to be applying for childrens nursing for the 2nd time aswell. I last applied 3 years ago after college but didnt get a place.
Ill be applying for northumbria, leeds, manchester, sheffield and teeside with northumbria being my first choice. I would love to go to kings college but dont think im ready to move away again (just lived and worked in anerica for 2 years)

How did everyone go about getting work experience? its all pretty non existent near where i live
Has anyone submitted their application yet?
My work experience has been kind up and down really, so far I've worked for 2 weeks at a day nursery, 3 days at the local acute hospital and around 2/3 days at Birmingham Children's Hospital and I'm going back there in October. It's been so hard to find work experience but when I do find it its so helpful and so great!
In terms of experience i have a vast range including: babysitting,volunteering in a school for three weeks,nursery for a week,another school for a week,youth club for a few days,support worker with learning disabilities and now i will be working for six months on a mother and baby unit! X
Reply 30
Hi everyone 😊 good luck with your applications

In terms of work experience everyone wants to get some in hospital or at least with children but these can sometimes be difficult to obtain, I would say get any experience you can its not about what experience you get but how you transfer the skills to nursing, I.e. Working in a shop requires talking to customers, resolving queries (finding somethings they'll looking for or resolving a refund request)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I will be applying for child nursing this year after dropping out of a primary PGCE. How much experience does everybody have? I've worked in a nursery for two years, as well as an after school club for primary age children. I've shadowed a social worker for two days and I've also started volunteering at a Mums and tots group.

I don't have much experience of caring for sick or disabled children as it's so hard trying to get work experience in hospitals! With only 20 or so places per provider, I'm really worried it won't be enough!
Reply 32
Original post by emilyyou
Hi, I will be applying for child nursing this year after dropping out of a primary PGCE. How much experience does everybody have? I've worked in a nursery for two years, as well as an after school club for primary age children. I've shadowed a social worker for two days and I've also started volunteering at a Mums and tots group.

I don't have much experience of caring for sick or disabled children as it's so hard trying to get work experience in hospitals! With only 20 or so places per provider, I'm really worried it won't be enough!

Hi welcome and good luck :smile:

I wouldn't worry too much about experience it sounds to me you've got loads already, I would sit down and think about what you gained from the experience you have got and how you can transfer the skills learnt into nursing, for example putting a child at ease who is nervous about nursery you could transfer those skills to a child nervous about coming into hospital and putting them at ease?
Reply 33
I'm working on my personal statement, I'm applying for children's nursing and I would like to eventually work in new natal should I mention this in my statement or leave it out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MDouglas
I'm working on my personal statement, I'm applying for children's nursing and I would like to eventually work in new natal should I mention this in my statement or leave it out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mention it,as it shows you have an idea what sector of child nursing you want to work in. :smile:
Hi is anyone applying or considering applying for children's nursing for Sep 2017?

Good one!
Hey! I'm applying to study childrens nursing for september 2017 and I'm going to apply to Surrey, UEA, Anglia Ruskin (chelmsford and cambridge) and also Hertfordshire.
I've done 200 hours of work experience so I hope this is enough and i get an offer!!
Reply 37
Mention it,as it shows you have an idea what sector of child nursing you want to work in. :smile:

That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure (brain overthinking lol)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by georgiapettitt
Hey! I'm applying to study childrens nursing for september 2017 and I'm going to apply to Surrey, UEA, Anglia Ruskin (chelmsford and cambridge) and also Hertfordshire.
I've done 200 hours of work experience so I hope this is enough and i get an offer!!

Hi and good luck 😊, what kind of work experience did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi and good luck 😊, what kind of work experience did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

you too! I have worked in a nursery, primary school, hospice and with teenagers with learning/physical disabilities :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending