The Student Room Group

Does this make me insecure about myself?

Heeeeeeeeeey,

*begin intro*
I'm in a happy relationship. Though randomly got the feeling one day that my SO was hanging out with someone else. I don't know why but I guess the seed had been planted and now it won't go. I genuinely don't think my SO would ever do anything like this, and she makes me the happiest I've ever been but I don't know where it's come from.

Does this just sound like I'm insecure?

How does one overlook these distracting and ugly thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Try talking with her. Just have a casual chat, it won't necessarily come off as too clingy, just say how you feel and open up a little. It's pointless to worry about it by not talking. It's okay to have doubts.
Original post by Athena64
Try talking with her. Just have a casual chat, it won't necessarily come off as too clingy, just say how you feel and open up a little. It's pointless to worry about it by not talking. It's okay to have doubts.

I have brought it up before and she's super understanding and says I can check anything anytime, but I just feel like a terrible person even bringing it up, let alone asking to check things.

(Loving your picture btw)
Original post by WishfulThinker1
I have brought it up before and she's super understanding and says I can check anything anytime, but I just feel like a terrible person even bringing it up, let alone asking to check things.

(Loving your picture btw)

Yeah, that's rough. I've felt that kind of feeling before. Just try and focus on making her happy. If you see her smiling at you and things, you'll see that there's no one else she'd wanna date. If it gets worse, try communicating a bit more - nothing to be ashamed of with that. Maybe try and arrange more dates too, so you don't feel like she's spending way more time with other people and feeling left out. Though it is okay for her to hang out with other friends.

(Thanks :3 )
Original post by Athena64
Yeah, that's rough. I've felt that kind of feeling before. Just try and focus on making her happy. If you see her smiling at you and things, you'll see that there's no one else she'd wanna date. If it gets worse, try communicating a bit more - nothing to be ashamed of with that. Maybe try and arrange more dates too, so you don't feel like she's spending way more time with other people and feeling left out. Though it is okay for her to hang out with other friends.

(Thanks :3 )

I suppose you're right. I don't mind her having nights out without me or anything, we do spend a lot of time with each other and I think my main 'fear?' is that it will get less exciting so attention from other people will be more exciting?

I just don't like how its affecting me.. We've both admitted to going onto each other Facebook's now and again, checking messages that sort of thing (we can be jealous people), but shamefully I've done it recently and just disliked doing it and not even sure why I did..
Your 'relationship' is doomed. Based upon everything you've said, it can only fail.

It won't be long until then
Original post by TruthBeTold'
Your 'relationship' is doomed. Based upon everything you've said, it can only fail.

It won't be long until then

Honestly this shows just how immature some people can be in a relationship. You have shown exactly how you are unwilling to work through the most basic of problems.

I expect you have not fully had any happiness in a relationship and I wish you all the luck in the future - you clearly need it.

OP - Don't listen to the people like this, they are just out to feel better about themselves. I can see exactly how much you both care for each other and everyone has thoughts like this sometimes, don't worry about it, just continue being the loving, supportive gentleman you are.
Why dont you sit down and talk to her, let her know how you are feeling. Sometimes people can feel a little insecure and that is okay.
Original post by Anonymous
Honestly this shows just how immature some people can be in a relationship. You have shown exactly how you are unwilling to work through the most basic of problems.

I expect you have not fully had any happiness in a relationship and I wish you all the luck in the future - you clearly need it.

OP - Don't listen to the people like this, they are just out to feel better about themselves. I can see exactly how much you both care for each other and everyone has thoughts like this sometimes, don't worry about it, just continue being the loving, supportive gentleman you are.

What a load of nonsense. The proof is in the pudding. OP's beta behaviour has lead him to turn to TSR for relationship advice. You seem incredibly TRIGGERED.
Haha, if you think his girl isn't up to any shenanigans. You're wrong.

- WHEN THERE IS DOUBT..THERE IS NO DOUBT -

It's not her merely 'hanging out' with another guy. It's the surrounding factors like her CONSTANTLY doing it, probably at odd hours in combination with a lack of attention/affection for her bf. She probably talks about this guy a lot too.

You are an evil person. You are encouraging his beta behaviour. He has a problem and you're encouraging him not to change. You lack experience and have been terribly selfish in what you have written.

You youself know what you have writen is dubious in content. Hence, you have decided to cover youself in a nice warm coat of anonomity.

Disgusting behaviour
Original post by evalilyXOX
Why dont you sit down and talk to her, let her know how you are feeling. Sometimes people can feel a little insecure and that is okay.

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Let her know how you're feeling and that's the beginning of the end. She will see you as a weak beta. You are meant to be her stoic rock. She is meant to turn to you for emotional support. You turn to her and you're screwed.

Imagine going to her and saying 'Baby i'm feeling a little paranoid and insecure' in any variation of that sentence. You will simultaneously make her want to be sick and more importantly break her heart because instantly she'll realise she has to go through the slow painful process of breaking up with you. And because she realises you're not the 'man' she naturally desires. Of course, these thoughts are most likely to be subconscious depending on how experienced she is . The girl I quote says 'sit down and talk'..thats what happens in love books, movies and buzzfeed articles. It's not realistic and only works if you wish to kill the relationship.
If you have a problem, you mention it once. If there is no change then you completely remove your attention. She will come back begging for it because you have raised your value. It will also allow your partner to independently evaluate their actions. Emotion will take over and she'll realise why she is with you in the first place.

She needs an alpha in her life.

The more you communicate with her the worse you will make this. Keep it to yourself or talk to your other friends..or us if you have any concerns. We ( people like me and not those above ) will guide you on your actions.

You can choose to listen to others above. But it will be a mistake.

'If you want to learn how to catch fish, you ask a fisherman not the fish. - Interpret that at your will.
(edited 7 years ago)
Heeeeeeeeeey,

*begin intro*
I'm in a happy relationship. Though randomly got the feeling one day that my SO was hanging out with someone else. I don't know why but I guess the seed had been planted and now it won't go. I genuinely don't think my SO would ever do anything like this, and she makes me the happiest I've ever been but I don't know where it's come from.

That could be lots of things. Are you taking any medication at the moment which may cause anxiety? Have you just gone through a difficult time that may have affected your mood? If there isn't an obvious trigger then you may be naturally anxious or depressed and it might be worth seeing someone about it.

The main problem you have is not just your own anxiety but the fact that if she feels you can't trust her, it may well affect how she feels about you. She may be understanding now but it won't last long. She may well get bored with it.

Or maybe you just aren't meant to be together. You are the only one who can work this out but if you feel it's irrational, a referral to a psychologist may help you talk things out.
Heeeeeeeeeey,

*begin intro*

Okay I'm gonna be honest with you, here goes. I'd be insecure too if my girl was eating a different d**k for dinner every night :smile: GOod luck
What a load of nonsense. The proof is in the pudding. OP's beta behaviour has lead him to turn to TSR for relationship advice. You seem incredibly TRIGGERED.
Haha, if you think his girl isn't up to any shenanigans. You're wrong.

- WHEN THERE IS DOUBT..THERE IS NO DOUBT -

It's not her merely 'hanging out' with another guy. It's the surrounding factors like her CONSTANTLY doing it, probably at odd hours in combination with a lack of attention/affection for her bf. She probably talks about this guy a lot too.

You are an evil person. You are encouraging his beta behaviour. He has a problem and you're encouraging him not to change. You lack experience and have been terribly selfish in what you have written.

You youself know what you have writen is dubious in content. Hence, you have decided to cover youself in a nice warm coat of anonomity.

Disgusting behaviour

I'll think you'll find OP has used TSR in this situation as an outlet and as a device to support him and offer advice on how and why he feels this way.

And I'm actually incredibly aware that the girl isn't up to anything, I happen to be the girl.

You are assuming practically everything you have said and I really don’t understand how you feel like you are capable of commenting with this level of accuracy.

Do you really think that telling people to not discuss their problems with their SO is a good idea and solid advice? Oh I know what a good idea will be, let’s bottle everything up and not seek out a solution!

My “nice warm coat of anonymity” is purely to not link myself on TSR as OP’s partner to people who may wish to give genuine advice, which I would love them to do.

Also as a sub-note; OP and I did talk, we both shared concerns and in most cases, the answer is always to discuss.
WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Let her know how you're feeling and that's the beginning of the end. She will see you as a weak beta. You are meant to be her stoic rock. She is meant to turn to you for emotional support. You turn to her and you're screwed.

Imagine going to her and saying 'Baby i'm feeling a little paranoid and insecure' in any variation of that sentence. You will simultaneously make her want to be sick and more importantly break her heart because instantly she'll realise she has to go through the slow painful process of breaking up with you. And because she realises you're not the 'man' she naturally desires. Of course, these thoughts are most likely to be subconscious depending on how experienced she is . The girl I quote says 'sit down and talk'..thats what happens in love books, movies and buzzfeed articles. It's not realistic and only works if you wish to kill the relationship.
If you have a problem, you mention it once. If there is no change then you completely remove your attention. She will come back begging for it because you have raised your value. It will also allow your partner to independently evaluate their actions. Emotion will take over and she'll realise why she is with you in the first place.

She needs an alpha in her life.

The more you communicate with her the worse you will make this. Keep it to yourself or talk to your other friends..or us if you have any concerns. We ( people like me and not those above ) will guide you on your actions.

You can choose to listen to others above. But it will be a mistake.

'If you want to learn how to catch fish, you ask a fisherman not the fish. - Interpret that at your will.

Or you know, you could stop assuming that a woman is incapable of being strong on her own.
Or you know, you could stop assuming that a woman is incapable of being strong on her own.

Stop trying to pull the misogyny card so the mods can have a party at my expense
(edited 7 years ago)
I'll think you'll find OP has used TSR in this situation as an outlet and as a device to support him and offer advice on how and why he feels this way.

And I'm actually incredibly aware that the girl isn't up to anything, I happen to be the girl.

You are assuming practically everything you have said and I really don’t understand how you feel like you are capable of commenting with this level of accuracy.

Do you really think that telling people to not discuss their problems with their SO is a good idea and solid advice? Oh I know what a good idea will be, let’s bottle everything up and not seek out a solution!

My “nice warm coat of anonymity” is purely to not link myself on TSR as OP’s partner to people who may wish to give genuine advice, which I would love them to do.

Also as a sub-note; OP and I did talk, we both shared concerns and in most cases, the answer is always to discuss.

This is so interesting wow!!!! Somebody-come-look'a-dis
Stop trying to pull the misogyny card so the mods can have a party at my expense

Not at all trying to do that, I just am in complete awe at how idiotic you can be thinking that relationships are a game of Alpha, Beta etc...

Firstly you obviously do not understand the majority of women who are not looking for someone to control their life.

Secondly, a relationship is not a game of finding the most alpha male, some of us are intelligent beings and whilst I agree that at a natural, instinctive level, we all search for the best mate to produce a family. It is almost impossible to believe that this is all someone thinks about.

I really to pity the girl who is subjected to your "alpha behaviour" and really hope that instead you have found or find someone that you can respect enough to be able to share your concerns with and build a healthy relationship.
Not at all trying to do that, I just am in complete awe at how idiotic you can be thinking that relationships are a game of Alpha, Beta etc...

Firstly you obviously do not understand the majority of women who are not looking for someone to control their life.

Secondly, a relationship is not a game of finding the most alpha male, some of us are intelligent beings and whilst I agree that at a natural, instinctive level, we all search for the best mate to produce a family. It is almost impossible to believe that this is all someone thinks about.

I really to pity the girl who is subjected to your "alpha behaviour" and really hope that instead you have found or find someone that you can respect enough to be able to share your concerns with and build a healthy relationship.

I didn't read that, and I don't intend to. Skipped to the last bit about healthy relationship. Yours is so healthy that you're communicating to your 'bf' in 3rd person anonymously and giving him advice secretly about what to do with you
(edited 7 years ago)
I didn't read that, and I don't intend to.

Oooo so mature. Are we going full on "talk to the hand" :hand:
I didn't read that, and I don't intend to. Skipped to the last bit about healthy relationship. Yours is so healthy that you're communicating to your 'bf' in 3rd person anonymously and giving him advice secretly about what to do with you

I'll think you'll find that he knows it's me. So once again with the assumptions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending