The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingBradly
Shop =/= restaurant. I've never heard of a shop having a dress code, and if there is one somewhere, then that is pretty unusual.

I had a zit on my face so i covered it up with a helmet lol , and covered everything up and my gloves so no one gets an infection from me. :smile:, I take health and safety to the public very cautiously.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Looks like someone has been triggered.

Triggered =/= rational criticism.
Totally agree with the decision, customers must abide by the restaurant owner's rules and wearing a niqab isn't a requirement to be Muslim.
This is coming from a Muslim (me). As a Muslim, why would this lady even go to a bar/restaurant? Doesn't make sense to me. She could have gone to a halal restaurant, I mean all she wanted was a burger, right?

I'm a Muslim so I wouldn't go to a bar/restaurant even though I don't wear a niqab or hijab, still I'd go to a halal joint. Maybe that's just me. :dontknow:
Original post by macromicro
Triggered =/= rational criticism.

Keep telling yourself that :rofl:
If you're coming into my resturaunt you're not going to be allowed in with anything hiding your face, I don't care if you have religious reasons for wearing it: I don't discriminate.

And yeah, I wouldn't allow naked people in either, going commando is just the other end of the extreme.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Keep telling yourself that :rofl:

Original post by Saba XD
This is coming from a Muslim (me). As a Muslim, why would this lady even go to a bar/restaurant? Doesn't make sense to me. She could have gone to a halal restaurant, I mean all she wanted was a burger, right?

I'm a Muslim so I wouldn't go to a bar/restaurant even though I don't wear a niqab or hijab, still I'd go to a halal joint. Maybe that's just me. :dontknow:

Sadly it seems a vocal minority are trying to prove a point and make a lot of people angry towards the wider Muslim population.

and it wasn't even a restaurant it is a pub that serves food (they are called bierkeller)

But this does have all the marks of a publicity stunt
I don't understand how anybody can argue this point:

Want to wear a niqab in public = remove the ban on anybody else covering their face too (helmets, masks, etc.)

Want people's faces uncovered to stop crims = also support banning the niqab in public.

Anything else is just wanting special treatment...
Original post by BaconandSauce
Sadly it seems a vocal minority are trying to prove a point and make a lot of people angry towards the wider Muslim population.

and it wasn't even a restaurant it is a pub that serves food (they are called bierkeller)

But this does have all the marks of a publicity stunt

I am not too sure on their name because you said they're called bierkeller and someone else said that BBC said they're called Seekrug or something like that (bar restaurant). Regardless, it was foolish of her to go to a place which serves alcohol. And, then complain about it too. :facepalm:
Original post by Saba XD

It doesn't make sense to you and yet you don't wear a hijab?

No one wants muslims to segregate and ostracise themselves. They should come to bars/restaurants and also not wear the hijab. This is the UK not Saudi Arabia.
It doesn't make sense to you and yet you don't wear a hijab?

No one wants muslims to segregate and ostracise themselves. They should come to bars/restaurants and also not wear the hijab. This is the UK not Saudi Arabia.

That wasn't the point I was making but cool. :h:
Original post by Saba XD
I am not too sure on their name because you said they're called bierkeller and someone else said that BBC said they're called Seekrug or something like that (bar restaurant). Regardless, it was foolish of her to go to a place which serves alcohol. And, then complain about it too. :facepalm:

sorry yes bierkeller is the generic name for a type of Pub (imagine lederhosen
and lots of bearded men quaffing large quantities of beer:biggrin:)

Original post by Saba XD
That wasn't the point I was making but cool. :h:

I know, it was an implication of your point.
I say good on him. Of course people don't want people wearing it. It's not required in the religion. Also take into account all of the attacks and that have happened this year in Germany and France by Muslim Migrants. People are in their right to make people remove it or leave.
It will do far more good than allowing her (and others) to think the west is accepting of such a heinous practice. What about the below picture says "dignity" to you?

How on earth do you know? It's interesting how you immediately resort to labelling it an "irrational fear", more commonly known as "Islamophobia" - the very word that has done endless damage to the process of reforming Islam and acknowledging the massive threat of its current form. All the so-called "Islamophobia" in the past two decades has proven to be entirely rational and well-evidenced, including views against Islamic headwear.

I don't think you get what I'm trying to say here, I'm simply trying to see it from your point of view. You're saying she's a victim of her religion, and I actually do agree with that. What I'm saying is, knowing that she's a victim, how exactly does it help to make her even more of a victim? You say that it shows that the west won't stand for it, to me I think it's just as (if not waaaaay more) likely to make them think western culture isn't something she should want to integrate with. You don't turn away an abuse victim just because they reminds you of what they go through and you want to show that you won't tolerate it, do you?

You say reform but basically you're just trying to force them to be like "us", and since when do we have the right to do that? It's just as alien them as theirs is to us. If a woman from here went to the Middle East for holiday, went to a restaurant and was handed a burqa and told to wear it or leave, would you still say that they have the right to treat her that way because it's their country? You won't change anyones mind or ways if you don't show them at least an ounce of respect and common courtesy. Their lifestyle may be different than ours but that shouldn't mean we should treat them as subhuman savages who are too stupid to see our 'illuminated ways'. But what do I know, I'm just a random dude on the internet :rolleyes:
Reply 136
Original post by KingBradly
Do you know what is really wrong on so many levels? Women feeling like they should hide their faces in public.

Why do you care so much?
Original post by QE2
Insisting on wearing a mask in someone else's place of business has nothing to do with the ability to practice a religion.

Of course it does. If your religious beliefs say you have to consistently wear a garment while in public/among other people, then it will apply to restaurants, etc.

And if someone chooses to practice their Aztec religion by cutting out the heart of a willing sacrifice, should that be allowed?

Not comparable as wearing the veil does not cause harm.
Original post by Josb
No. Religion cannot be a free pass. If the law requires everybody to show their face in public, then everybody has to submit. The law cannot specifically target a religion, that's all. Otherwise, we would have to accept any sectarian belief in the name of "religion".

There is the right to freedom of religion which is separate to other rights!
Original post by BaconandSauce
sorry yes bierkeller is the generic name for a type of Pub (imagine lederhosen
and lots of bearded men quaffing large quantities of beer:biggrin:)

Ahhh, I didn't know that. Learn something new everyday. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending