The Student Room Group

Dropping A level Maths? Help?

Hi, so at GCSE maths I got an A and was incredibly close to an A* (got a remark and the grade didn't change). In year 11 I was predicted a C/D and worked extremely hard to increase my grade.

I've taken it for a level maths now and my teacher told me that if a C/D is my natural capability (even though I was 2 marks off an A* in the real thing) I will probably fail a-level maths, and that kind of planted a seed of doubt in my mind..

I'm finding C1 fine, but I am worried that i'll have to work too hard in C3/C4 because my natural capability isn't that strong at all.

I also do chemistry and biology, and would like to go into some sort of science related field.

Whats your opinion? Should I drop?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chrlhyms
Hi, so at GCSE maths I got an A and was incredibly close to an A* (got a remark and the grade didn't change). In year 11 I was predicted a C/D and worked extremely hard to increase my grade.

I've taken it for a level maths now and my teacher told me that if a C/D is my natural capability (even though I was 2 marks off an A* in the real thing) I will probably fail a-level maths, and that kind of planted a seed of doubt in my mind..

I'm finding C1 fine, but I am worried that i'll have to work too hard in C3/C4 because my natural capability isn't that strong at all.

I also do chemistry and biology, and would like to go into some sort of science related field.

Thanks

Definitely do not drop it based on those reasons. C1&C2" are very easy to do well in as long as you practise, you need very little "ability". Work hard at understanding what your doing in class, complete all your homework and if you are stuck ask for help, then do loads of past papers for revision. There's no reason you cant get an A this year doing this, you don't need to be naturally good at something to succeed in it
Original post by HopelessMedic
Definitely do not drop it based on those reasons. C1&C2" are very easy to do well in as long as you practise, you need very little "ability". Work hard at understanding what your doing in class, complete all your homework and if you are stuck ask for help, then do loads of past papers for revision. There's no reason you cant get an A this year doing this, you don't need to be naturally good at something to succeed in it

Thank you so much for your response! Yeah it takes me a little longer to understand things than anyone else in my class so it made me feel like less worthy as if i shouldnt do it, but i'll definitely think about it thank you so much
If you enjoy maths then you should keep it
Reply 4
Do not drop Maths.
Original post by SuperHuman98
If you enjoy maths then you should keep it

Yeah thats a good point, I enjoy is when i understand it and when i dont i get quite frustrated by it.. thats my problem
Original post by Glib
Do not drop Maths.

How come?
Reply 7
Ok I can relate to this

Up until year 11 I used to hate maths and think that like many of us I'm not ' naturally ' good meaning I would put in little effort during class and figured I wouldn't get a decent grade even if I tried. We did a mock at the end of year 10 and I got a D and thought actuallty maybe I should try a bit harder so all summer I worked to actually make myself ' good ' at maths which involved doing lots of practice questions online. This method worked and it countinued throughout year 11 and got me an A* at gcse. I then continued the subject at A-level and ended up with an A overall and I also got an A in AS further maths, and I'm off to start my maths degree next week....

Maths is one of those subjects where with hard work you can make yourself good, and so whether you're 'naturally ' good or not should not make any difference concerning your chances of achieving a high grade of Alevel.

Hope that helps 😀

Other info - Of the people I know with A grades in gcse maths the lowest grade any of them got overall was a C in Alevel maths with most getting A's....
(edited 7 years ago)
"Natural Capability" really means very little in at A-level. It's more a case of you get out what you put in, though some find it easier to take in than others. Of course your teacher may not know what they are talking about, which is entirely possible looking at how well you did at GCSE.
Original post by fefssdf
Ok I can relate to this

Up until year 11 I used to hate maths and think that like many of us I'm not ' naturally ' good meaning I would put in little effort during class and figured I wouldn't get a decent grade even if I tried. We did a mock at the end of year 10 and I got a D and thought actuallty maybe I should try a bit harder so all summer I worked to actually make myself ' good ' at maths which involved doing lots of practice questions online. This method worked and it countinued throughout year 11 and got me an A* at gcse. I then continued the subject at A-level and ended up with an A overall and I also got an A in AS further maths, and I'm off to start my maths degree next week....

Maths is one of those subjects where with hard work you can make yourself good, and so whether you're 'naturally ' good or not should not make any difference concerning your chances of achieving a high grade of Alevel.

Hope that helps 😀

Other info - Of the people I know with A grades in gcse maths the lowest grade any of them got overall was a C in Alevel maths with most getting A's....

Hey, firstly congratulations for doing so amazing; it's really impressing and also rewarding to see someone who was at the same stage i was and then do absolutely incredibly in their a levels, i'm not sure how you felt but i subconsciously always feel not as good as everyone else because I need a little more practice than everyone else and the atmosphere in class is a bit intimidating.

I just feel as if the amount I would have to work to achieve the same grades as everyone else would be so excessive, did this happen to you? or did you feel like less worthy to be in the class because of your natural ability? (because i do).

But thank you so much for your reply, to hear someone else who was in the same position and did so well is incredible
Original post by TimGB
"Natural Capability" really means very little in at A-level. It's more a case of you get out what you put in, though some find it easier to take in than others. Of course your teacher may not know what they are talking about, which is entirely possible looking at how well you did at GCSE.

Does it help to have natural capability? I feel like I might not see something straight away like a specific equation or way to do something

But thank you so much for your reply, i'm just thinking about how hard I may have to work to get the same grades as my peers
Hey, firstly congratulations for doing so amazing; it's really impressing and also rewarding to see someone who was at the same stage i was and then do absolutely incredibly in their a levels, i'm not sure how you felt but i subconsciously always feel not as good as everyone else because I need a little more practice than everyone else and the atmosphere in class is a bit intimidating.

I just feel as if the amount I would have to work to achieve the same grades as everyone else would be so excessive, did this happen to you? or did you feel like less worthy to be in the class because of your natural ability? (because i do).

But thank you so much for your reply, to hear someone else who was in the same position and did so well is incredible

Hey there

First off I think you thinking that you're ' less worthy' is a bit silly and you really shouldn't think that. You have as much right to study A-level maths than anyone else. Personally I think I did have to do a lot of work but anyone who wants to do well in A-level maths needs to put the effort in cause I mean I know someone who got a B at AS ( 1 ums off an A) but ended up slipping to a C overall and they got an A in gcse maths so it really is a case of putting in the hours and I'm sure you'll get the grade you want. I must admit as I knew from the start of year 11 i wanted to do a maths degree I was very confident in my own maths ability and enjoyed learning and revising maths so I think that has helped me to succeed. Also my school is a standard comprehensive with pretty average gcse results cause in my year only 2 people got an A* so in my A-level class most people had B's or A's so I didn't exactly feel ' not worthy ' despite the fact I did a heck of a lot of revision to get that GCSE grade. Maths is great in that the fact that if you do enough practice then you can master any topic. If you're struggling to build up your confidence then I suggest watching youtube videos such as those by ' Exam solutions ' and 'Hegarty maths ' and go through the questions as they're doing them and I'm sure you'll feel better . If you got an A* at gcse then it means you are good at maths even if you didn't have any natural ability to start with as like me you've likely made yourself good ! good luck and sorry for this long reply lol
Does it help to have natural capability? I feel like I might not see something straight away like a specific equation or way to do something

But thank you so much for your reply, i'm just thinking about how hard I may have to work to get the same grades as my peers

There is no normal amount of effort. If you enjoy the subject continue it, the extra work to do well shouldn't be a chore. Having to work harder than your peers isn't a bad thing. People with 'natural ability' often do worse in exams because they think the topic is easy so don't do enough work.
If you enjoy maths, it is a very rewarding subject as long as you persevere. I found A level maths really interesting, personally.
Reply 13

Thanks

haha dont make the same mistake I did. IMO I would stick it out and carry on A level and try as hard as you can. That is because top science courses require maths + sciences A LEVELS and engineering, you definitely need them.
Ok if you do carry on,you might do bad in the C3+C4, dw life isn't over if you fail it. You can always resit it the next year as well doing something productive and beneficial in the 'gap year'. But you obviously seem talented enough to cope with the pressures doing 3 demanding A-levels.

If you do decide to carry it on, you have to get your teacher on your side, show them that you will work hard. Organise a meeting with you, your maths teacher and the head of the sixth form to discuss 'a plan' to help you achieve your potential. Even if your Maths teacher says you might fail, just go up to them and say 'I am going to carry on and I want to do really well in maths. Will you help me?'. Also know that you have be proactive and set a good example.

The only person to truly tell you that you cannot do something is yourself, not your teachers or parents, its your mind. Convince yourself that you will do well and show your teacher.
You can drop it all but dropping maths will be the worst decision in your life. U will regret it

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
your teacher is chatting ****, even without 'natural capability' almost anyone can get a decent grade at a-level maths if they put in the work.
Reply 16

This kind of thinking will kill you! i remember thinking like that at AS and often the4 case is that either they read ahead or are extremely smart. Dont let insecurities put you off and tell that teacher to f off. Natural ability counts for nothing at a level :smile:
Original post by Tiva4Eva
There is no normal amount of effort. If you enjoy the subject continue it, the extra work to do well shouldn't be a chore. Having to work harder than your peers isn't a bad thing. People with 'natural ability' often do worse in exams because they think the topic is easy so don't do enough work.
If you enjoy maths, it is a very rewarding subject as long as you persevere. I found A level maths really interesting, personally.

Thank you so much
Original post by fefssdf
Hey there

First off I think you thinking that you're ' less worthy' is a bit silly and you really shouldn't think that. You have as much right to study A-level maths than anyone else. Personally I think I did have to do a lot of work but anyone who wants to do well in A-level maths needs to put the effort in cause I mean I know someone who got a B at AS ( 1 ums off an A) but ended up slipping to a C overall and they got an A in gcse maths so it really is a case of putting in the hours and I'm sure you'll get the grade you want. I must admit as I knew from the start of year 11 i wanted to do a maths degree I was very confident in my own maths ability and enjoyed learning and revising maths so I think that has helped me to succeed. Also my school is a standard comprehensive with pretty average gcse results cause in my year only 2 people got an A* so in my A-level class most people had B's or A's so I didn't exactly feel ' not worthy ' despite the fact I did a heck of a lot of revision to get that GCSE grade. Maths is great in that the fact that if you do enough practice then you can master any topic. If you're struggling to build up your confidence then I suggest watching youtube videos such as those by ' Exam solutions ' and 'Hegarty maths ' and go through the questions as they're doing them and I'm sure you'll feel better . If you got an A* at gcse then it means you are good at maths even if you didn't have any natural ability to start with as like me you've likely made yourself good ! good luck and sorry for this long reply lol

Thank you so much for your reply it means a lot to hear about other people's experiences! thank you good luck with maths at uni
Original post by justinawe
your teacher is chatting ****, even without 'natural capability' almost anyone can get a decent grade at a-level maths if they put in the work.

Thank you-yeah I felt like he was being incredibly rude and ridiculous

Quick Reply

Latest