The Student Room Group

Will i need a laptop before i start?

I was just curious whether a laptop is needed for this course. Would this be a better option for note taking? Would this help with coding/compiling wherever i am and whenever? Won't require me to constantly access the computer labs?
I took a fairly powerful bulky laptop with me to uni to basically use as my own desktop in my room. The labs are pretty much sufficient for coursework, but I couldn't not have my own computer, even if I weren't doing comp sci. I didn't take my laptop out with me, but if you particularly like taking notes on a computer then obviously that's an option, but I suppose that would work better with a slightly more portable laptop than the one I had.
Reply 2
Having your own computer will definitely give you flexibility, but it's by no means a prerequisite. I know people who went the whole 3 years without bringing them own machine in, just using the lab computers. It's fine and do'able, but you might have to work at weird hours (think evening or early morning) to guarantee a lab computer be available.
Reply 3
Original post by Stephen P
I was just curious whether a laptop is needed for this course. Would this be a better option for note taking? Would this help with coding/compiling wherever i am and whenever? Won't require me to constantly access the computer labs?

Why wouldn't you take a laptop with you? You can work on whatever you want how you want, when you want, where you want. Seems extremely advantageous to take a laptop with you.

Do you have a PC atleast?

Edit: as in desktop

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by bigboateng_
Do you have a PC atleast?

Edit: as in desktop

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes i do, which is what i am currently using. Considering to upgrade for multiple monitors and minor gaming.
Yes i do, which is what i am currently using. Considering to upgrade for multiple monitors and minor gaming.

Take your PC, then. The only thing you will miss out on is mobility.
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
Take your PC, then. The only thing you will miss out on is mobility.

I forgot to say that i will be living at home.
Reply 8
I forgot to say that i will be living at home.

No a laptop is not needed then. It helps, i would get one anyway as you'll need it some point in life, but desktops always superior.

But the thing is yes there are computer labs that you can use but sometimes its booked for other modules as well, so its not like you will get access 24/7. And its not like you will be living on campus where you can go home if you really need one. I'd suggest you invest in some cheap windows laptop and put ubuntu on it. Cos sometimes you might wanna try something during the lecture in programming modules, or you might even go to a hackaton, which is a MUST if you're a cs student.
Reply 10
Thank you all for the feedback. It looks like i will be investing in a laptop :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending