The Student Room Group

Feeling down about going back to Uni...

Hey everyone...

Is anyone else feeling really down about going back to University? This summer I've just felt really sad about going back.

At the end of last term I didn't even want to go home for the Summer but things have changed. Its partly that I didn't get the accommodation I wanted (my Uni messed me around) and have ended up taking a room in a house share which is not really suitable for my health needs.

I guess this is just anxiety over knowing that things are going to be different this year. Tbh its not like I had the best year last time but I had my own bedsit where I was able to work in peace and take care of my health without having to worry about anyone else. I did well academically, got 2:1 overall including 70% for one of my modules... I met some people who I really like but there is no one I'm really close to. I do like the course but otherwise I guess I'm not really enjoying University that much and gotta be honest, I freak out every time I think about how much debt it is getting me in to! Is it even worth it???

Anyone else need to vent a little bit? We can cheer eachother up!

Sha x
Original post by Shashasheesh
Hey everyone...

Is anyone else feeling really down about going back to University? This summer I've just felt really sad about going back.

At the end of last term I didn't even want to go home for the Summer but things have changed. Its partly that I didn't get the accommodation I wanted (my Uni messed me around) and have ended up taking a room in a house share which is not really suitable for my health needs.

I guess this is just anxiety over knowing that things are going to be different this year. Tbh its not like I had the best year last time but I had my own bedsit where I was able to work in peace and take care of my health without having to worry about anyone else. I did well academically, got 2:1 overall including 70% for one of my modules... I met some people who I really like but there is no one I'm really close to. I do like the course but otherwise I guess I'm not really enjoying University that much and gotta be honest, I freak out every time I think about how much debt it is getting me in to! Is it even worth it???

Anyone else need to vent a little bit? We can cheer eachother up!

Sha x

Hello there :smile:,

There is a minority of students that feel down about going back to university due to different reasons but it isn't uncommon to have this feeling.
I'm sorry to hear about your anxiety, I was diagnosed with it at the end of my Second Year after one very bad night and it's consumed me ever since so I understand how difficult it is - these situations that you are going into, it isn't the end of the world and you can alter your circumstances if you are that unhappy but what i will say is, don't look so negatively on everything, give it a chance and just try and enjoy it. You may be moving into a house share but you can still make your room 'your space'. Make it that space you can go to at the end of the day and just be by yourself!

Good luck :biggrin:
I've just taken a working gap year and I'm feeling incredibly down about returning. I'm feeling down about University in general.
It's pretty clear to me now that the level of education we are receiving is not worth a fraction of the amount we are paying. We are invariably going to be straddled with a crippling amount of debt for years to come. Most of us will pay this off with mediocre white collar jobs that we could have gotten without a degree and with some initiative. Many will work minimum wage.

University life is also a hot-bed for mental illness, substance abuse and sexually transmitted diseases. It is far more effective at producing neurotics than skilled workers. I've witnessed first-hand people who have come to University relatively clean who left with a drug-habit and a permanent case of crotch-itch. It's also no wonder there has been a sharp increase in the number of student suicides:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/causesofdeath/adhocs/005732totalnumberofdeathsbysuicideorundeterminedintentforstudentsaged18andaboveinenglandandwales2014

None of this is surprising considering Universities market themselves as a social experience instead of a place for academia. Chances are your professors are actually busy PhD students who really don't have time to host your class or grant you more than 8 contact hours per week (Don't expect to make any close friends beyond your room-mates with these hours.) Most of your class will not be invested in the course you are studying but are really just present because University was sold to them as a natural progression to adulthood so the discussion will be forced and meandering. The onus of learning is on you, the student. Your £9,0000 per annum is actually just a very expensive library membership.

I'm already in my third year so I believe it's too late for me, but if you don't think University is going to help you, and especially if you are studying the humanities, my advice would be to consider carefully whether it is worth it.
As far as I'm concerned depression/anxiety are inevitable when you are isolated in terrible accommodation and paying £9k p/a for very little in return.

Quick Reply

Latest