The Student Room Group

Government and Politics a level experiences, advice and tips!

Just exchanged one of my subjects for this a level subject as i am genuinely interested in politics. Do you have any advice and tips based on your experience?
Reply 1
Original post by Rajive
Just exchanged one of my subjects for this a level subject as i am genuinely interested in politics. Do you have any advice and tips based on your experience?

Keep up to date on the news and for revision make sure you practice answering the questions and the timing of each question type as the grade boundaries are so close. Also they tend to repeat questions every couple of years just wording it slightly differently. Use lots of examples in answers and stuff as well. I'm currently doing the A2 after taking the AS in the summer
(edited 7 years ago)
Amazing subject and ive only done it for two weeks. You need to keep up with the news.
Keep really up to date with the news and ensure you have current examples to support your point. Beyond that just ensure you do good exam technique practice and you'll be fine.
Reply 4
Keep up to date with the news. Past papers and essay plans should be your new best friends for the next two years. Have a collection of real life examples to use to back up points made in essays.

All in all, enjoy it. Found it to be my easiest and best A Level. I'm now studying Politics at uni.
Reply 5
Original post by EmilyJ1215
Keep really up to date with the news and ensure you have current examples to support your point. Beyond that just ensure you do good exam technique practice and you'll be fine.

Are all essays in PEEl structure?
Reply 6
Bump
Reply 7
Original post by Rajive
Are all essays in PEEl structure?

You want three examples for every point you make. So make the point then add examples in while you explain your point. IMG_7598.jpg
For the 5 markers you only need one paragraph. No intro or conclusion
For the 10markers you need three paragraphs. No intro or conclusion.
For the 25 markers you need 6 paragraphs. 3 for and 3 against if it's a discussion or argument question. You also need an intro and conclusion
The same applies for a 40marker but you need 8 paragraphs and intro and conclusion. You can get marks for planning answers so always plan so if you run out of time you don't lose too many marks
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Pugglet
You want three examples for every point you make. So make the point then add examples in while you explain your point. IMG_7598.jpg
For the 5 markers you only need one paragraph. No intro or conclusion
For the 10markers you need three paragraphs. No intro or conclusion.
For the 25 markers you need 6 paragraphs. 3 for and 3 against if it's a discussion or argument question. You also need an intro and conclusion
The same applies for a 40marker but you need 8 paragraphs and intro and conclusion. You can get marks for planning answers so always plan so if you run out of time you don't lose too many marks

What exam board is that?
Sounds like the board I'm with so I'm assuming Edexcel?
Reply 10
I've realised most the kids doing it this year only care for 'pop politics' none have a genuine enthusiasm for the political science, ideogloes, history and philosophy. Although they're not essential they do make the course more enjoyable since you'll care about the content. Party politics was probably my favourite, it's been a hot topic recently as well so you'll get the 'pop politics' but also the ideologies and history. Probably the most useful topic.
Original post by Rajive
What exam board is that?

Edexcel

Quick Reply

Latest