The Student Room Group

Student account: HSBC?

I applied to a student account at HSBC online yesterday, I was wondering how long they take to reply?
I should be eligible but there doesn't seem to be an email confirmation either.
I do have two nationwide accounts but they are not student accounts, just regular debit card accounts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
You don't get anything via email, you'll get stuff in the post that you then need to go in-store to provide proof of uni acceptance, ID etc... you get the card a couple days after and the freebie 5-10 days after!! (It really confused me at first!)
Reply 2
I'm in the same position as you OP. Someone in the other thread said it was 3-5 weeks rather than the week it says on the website. But then at the same time someone else who applied around results day only had to wait 2 days. Here's hoping it'll be confirmed within a week.

Slightly off topic but for proof of residence can I just bring the uni acceptance letter or something? I'm living at home and understandably haven't paid any sorts of bills before, in-fact this is my first account. I'm hoping they'll be understanding since they must get a lot of students who are in a similar position to mine.
Reply 3
I just took my passport, UCAS acceptance letter, and a bank statement from my other bank... You get a pack in the post telling you what forms of ID to take in :smile:

Hope that helps!
Thanks guys
I'm going to be calling them soon and asking them how long it'll take
I really want the Amazon voucher to start buying my uni books and I've got a job now so it would be nice to have separate account to put the money in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just called them and they said it will take 5 working days for the acceptance letter of my HSBC account to come through.
Then I will have to go to my local branch with the right documents and finalise creating the student account there and then so it'll probably take quite a bit of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exact same situation as you, I applied for HSBC and was confused as to why I couldn't identify any relevant emails from them! Took me awhile to give my paperwork in (handed it over on the 26th August).
I rang them recently asking if my account had been activated yet, and they told me to wait until next Wednesday, so here's to hoping they do it before.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Jess-97
You don't get anything via email, you'll get stuff in the post that you then need to go in-store to provide proof of uni acceptance, ID etc... you get the card a couple days after and the freebie 5-10 days after!! (It really confused me at first!)

Hi, did you get any paperwork about your overdraft limit after you received your card?

I've just got my card, nothing else even the pin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by charlnCI
Hi, did you get any paperwork about your overdraft limit after you received your card?

I've just got my card, nothing else even the pin.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How long after you went to the bank, did you receive your card?
I went to the bank last week with the documents like passport and UCAS acceptance letter.
Still haven't received my card :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Bloom77
How long after you went to the bank, did you receive your card?
I went to the bank last week with the documents like passport and UCAS acceptance letter.
Still haven't received my card :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

about one and a half week, and yes I did receive my card.

dont worry, it will come to you
Original post by charlnCI
about one and a half week, and yes I did receive my card.

dont worry, it will come to you

Thank you!
I guess I just have to wait that half a week :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest