The Student Room Group

Didn't convert internship to FT offer - apply to internships or grad?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yl95
Which one would you choose?

if i didn't recieve an offer, i would've applied for grad roles at accountancy/consulting firms
Original post by yl95

If you get a grad or an internship offer, then take the grad offer 100%, even if it is at a lower tier bank.

The risk is too great that you may not convert another internship and that could cause problems. Whereas if you take grad, you have a job and it's not that difficult to lateral over to a better bank with a bit of experience. There are always Analyst roles opening up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gr8wizard10
if i didn't recieve an offer, i would've applied for grad roles at accountancy/consulting firms

Yeah but hypothetically speaking, if you had to choose between the two haha.
Original post by yl95
Yeah but hypothetically speaking, if you had to choose between the two haha.

the sure thing, grad
Reply 24
Original post by yl95

Which course and uni did most people come from on your floor?
Original post by Gman786
Which course and uni did most people come from on your floor?

You mean S&T?
Quite a lot of European people who did some sort of Finance Masters. Quite a few Econ and a few Maths. Rest kind of evenly split.
Reply 26
Original post by yl95
Would you say, in the unlikely case that I get a grad offer from a MM and an internship from a BB, that it's worth accepting both (not sure if that's allowed)?

they would overlap from my understanding and I'm pretty sure in the contract you wouldn't be allowed to work elsewhere
Most Summer Internships are 10 weeks and finish late August. Most Grad Scheme's start in September right? I don't think they can stop you from working elsewhere before you join their company, so I think it would be okay.
Original post by Turing
Most Summer Internships are 10 weeks and finish late August. Most Grad Scheme's start in September right? I don't think they can stop you from working elsewhere before you join their company, so I think it would be okay.

no, grad schemes begin in august before the summer internship period ends
Reply 28
no, grad schemes begin in august before the summer internship period ends

Are you sure this is true for all/most banks?
Reply 29
Original post by yl95
I interned at a BB (one of the American ones) this summer and didn't convert for S&T and was wondering whether it is wiser to apply for grad or intern programmes. I did consider applying for grad consulting roles but I know it's really not for me so I don't want to waste my time. However, I do want a job after I graduate even if I don't convert the next summer...

A levels and grades? Uni and course?
Unlucky this time
Original post by Turing
Are you sure this is true for all/most banks?

It is the case for the majority of graduate schemes at banks. Some banks start later and some back office divisions also start later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by Commercial Paper
It is the case for the majority of graduate schemes at banks. Some banks start later and some back office divisions also start later.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So based on what you said earlier, would you definitely take BNP/RBC (for example) Grad Scheme over say JPM/Goldman Internship?
Original post by Turing
So based on what you said earlier, would you definitely take BNP/RBC (for example) Grad Scheme over say JPM/Goldman Internship?

Yes, 100%. Take the graduate scheme as you may not convert an internship, especially in the current climate. You can lateral over to a better bank once you start.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by Commercial Paper
Yes, 100%. Take the graduate scheme as you may not convert an internship, especially in the current climate. You can lateral over to a better bank once you start.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well then in that case, surely there is no point in final years applying for Summer Internships at GS/JPM, and should instead apply for Grad Schemes everywhere. If they're good enough to get an Internship at GS/JPM then they're probably good enough to get a Grad Scheme at a lower bank/somewhere.
Original post by Turing
Well then in that case, surely there is no point in final years applying for Summer Internships at GS/JPM, and should instead apply for Grad Schemes everywhere. If they're good enough to get an Internship at GS/JPM then they're probably good enough to get a Grad Scheme at a lower bank/somewhere.

Doesn't always work out like that I'm afraid... Grad schemes have significantly less places so no guarantee you'll be accepted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vl7d
A levels and grades? Uni and course?
Unlucky this time

They were averagely good, I go to a target and I study a STEM course. PM for details if you want.
Original post by yl95
They were averagely good, I go to a target and I study a STEM course. PM for details if you want.

looooooool modesty levels 1000/10

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending