The Student Room Group

How diverse is the University of Exeter?

I am considering this university for Psychology. But being a black female, I'd like to just know how culturally diverse the university is.

Obviously, my decision is not based wholly on this but of course, it would be something that I would be quite interested to know. And it would be nice to know that there are others there that a similar to me (even if not a lot xD)

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

These type of threads always baffle me. Would you discount a particular university if there were 'too many white people' there? Are you not just reinforcing racial stereotypes and rejecting diversity yourself?

I can't answer your question, sorry.
Its 99% white and 1% non white.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Duncan2012
These type of threads always baffle me. Would you discount a particular university if there were 'too many white people' there? Are you not just reinforcing racial stereotypes and rejecting diversity yourself?

*Sigh*

Please understand that I had said "my decision is not based wholly on this but of course, it would be something that I would be quite interested to know". I have no problem with going to Exeter. It's first on my list. I want to know how diverse it is and I see no problem with enquiring. I feel that it's a great thing to do so that I can speak to people who are able to give me an insight into the Uni as a whole - not just as a place of study.

In fact I really expected answers that outline what culturally diverse societies they have to offer; or even restaurants around. But thanks.
Original post by LenniesRabbit
*Sigh*

Please understand that I had said "my decision is not based wholly on this but of course, it would be something that I would be quite interested to know". I have no problem with going to Exeter. It's first on my list. I want to know how diverse it is and I see no problem with enquiring. I feel that it's a great thing to do so that I can speak to people who are able to give me an insight into the Uni as a whole - not just as a place of study.

In fact I really expected answers that outline what culturally diverse societies they have to offer; or even restaurants around. But thanks.

Don't know why you're sighing.

Go reread my post - I used the conditional tense - WOULD you discount a particular uni if there were too many white people there. I wasn't talking about any particular university. Well, would you?

It took me 5 seconds to google 'Exeter university student societies'.

What's a culturally diverse restaurant? Kebab shop? Indian? Chinese? Italian? You do know that most British cuisine is 'culturally diverse', don't you?

Go reread my post - I used the conditional tense - WOULD you discount a particular uni if there were too many white people there. I wasn't talking about any particular university. Well, would you?

What's a culturally diverse restaurant? Kebab shop? Indian? Chinese? Italian? You do know that most British cuisine is 'culturally diverse', don't you?

Alright, I really didn't think this was going to be this big of an issue but I understand that things can be interpreted in more ways than one. To answer your question, no. I wouldn't discount a particular university if there were 'too many white people' there.
Thanks for your help anyway
Reply 6
Well like most RG unis there will be a large intake of private school kids. Then there will be lots of white middle-class kids. Other ethnic groups from poorer backgrounds will clearly be the minority.

I have heard quite a few bad things about Exeter in this respect.
Reply 7

You're obviously white. Say if you were a female, and a university was full of males, you'd feel a little different wouldn't you? Since typically, people of the same sex are more likely to befriend/understand each other, this would be something to take into account. Even though you could still possibly make QUALITY friendships with ONLY males, it is just more difficult and less likely. Let us not sugar coat that fact. Now linking this back to OP's question, as a POC from an ethnic minority, she is concerned about feeling isolated during her time at university. Of course the main purpose of attending university is for the degree, but the actual experience is like no other, and surely it is reasonable for her to want to feel comfortable/know that there will be people similar to her who she can understand/go to for support? Of course, if you are part of an ethnic majority, you would feel that these kind of questions are silly, but please be a bit more understanding, especially if you have never been in someone else's shoes before.
Original post by dmy15
You're obviously white. Say if you were a female, and a university was full of males, you'd feel a little different wouldn't you? Since typically, people of the same sex are more likely to befriend/understand each other, this would be something to take into account. Even though you could still possibly make QUALITY friendships with ONLY males, it is just more difficult and less likely. Let us not sugar coat that fact. Now linking this back to OP's question, as a POC from an ethnic minority, she is concerned about feeling isolated during her time at university. Of course the main purpose of attending university is for the degree, but the actual experience is like no other, and surely it is reasonable for her to want to feel comfortable/know that there will be people similar to her who she can understand/go to for support? Of course, if you are part of an ethnic majority, you would feel that these kind of questions are silly, but please be a bit more understanding, especially if you have never been in someone else's shoes before.

Thank you so much. I've seen how non-ethnic minority people react to these threads and so I tried to phrase it very carefully...but it clearly didn't work. I truly see nothing wrong with asking such questions because I want to be wholly aware of my chosen uni before I attend. I wish others could understand that in the way you have. Thank you again :smile:
I
Original post by stefano865
Well like most RG unis there will be a large intake of private school kids. Then there will be lots of white middle-class kids. Other ethnic groups from poorer backgrounds will clearly be the minority.

I have heard quite a few bad things about Exeter in this respect.

Yeah, I have heard a few things too, that's why I wanted to find out a little bit more. Thank you for your input.
I

Yeah, I have heard a few things too, that's why I wanted to find out a little bit more. Thank you for your input.

'Exetah' did catch my attention in the last few years on this issue. Seems to have had particular problems with snobbery and general *****y attitudes.

this ^^^
Original post by dmy15

Yes I'm white. But I grew up in Hong Kong. I know plenty about being a minority. I've honestly never thought 'I wish there were more people around me who look like me'. Uni is a time to meet new people and try new things. Don't be so patronising in assuming BME have the monopoly on being a minority.
Reply 13
Yes I'm white. But I grew up in Hong Kong. I know plenty about being a minority. I've honestly never thought 'I wish there were more people around me who look like me'. Uni is a time to meet new people and try new things. Don't be so patronising in assuming BME have the monopoly on being a minority.

Hong-Kong my arrrse. You are probably just saying that to try and prove me wrong lol but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. And even so, South East Asians GLORIFY white people and lighter skin tones in general, so your experience will never correlate to a black person's if they were in the same situation. By your responses, you've clearly demonstrated that you know nothing about being an ethnic minority, even more so, a person of colour. *Drops mic*
Very diverse. You'll see a whole rainbow of chino colours.

There's nothing wrong with her query.
No one likes to feel like a minority.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I

I understand your concerns, however, regardless of how culturally diverse/limited the university is, you should go for it if it is right for your course. Even if you were the only female AND the only non-white student you should not let that hold back your education, break those barriers girl!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's rahlly diverse! :biggrin:
Original post by stefano865
'Exetah' did catch my attention in the last few years on this issue. Seems to have had particular problems with snobbery and general *****y attitudes.

I only know one person who's a student at Exeter, and he's arrogant, condescending, and from the upper-middle class.

I know I shouldn't generalise the entire university... But there's no smoke without flames.
Reply 19
I am considering this university for Psychology. But being a black female, I'd like to just know how culturally diverse the university is.

Obviously, my decision is not based wholly on this but of course, it would be something that I would be quite interested to know. And it would be nice to know that there are others there that a similar to me (even if not a lot xD)

Thank you

To answer the question:
http://thetab.com/uk/student/2016/02/12/revealed-the-most-ethnically-diverse-unis-629

Exeter is 91% "White British" compared to UK average of 82%.

But note the caveat : "These statistics do not include international students."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending