The Student Room Group

Got mugged last night

I got mugged last night, and I'm glad I wasn't beat up.

He took my wallet and phone. The phone was quite cheap and I've blocked that sim card and got a new sim card.

The wallet only had a few pennies inside. It also had my house keys, which they will not be able to find as I live in a different city. I have blocked that bank card and have ordered a new one.

The main thing I am worried about is that my provisional was in there. I have blocked that and have ordered a new one, but still people can use it for ID.

I am very worried now.

Scroll to see replies

How could you get mugged in this day age ?
Are you 4ft tall and unable to defend yourself ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You've got to man up, you seen Mad Max? that's what's going to happen
Reply 3
start lifting weights or something

people generally only look to mug others who look weak/unintimidating
Reply 4
Go to the gym
If they try to use your ID for anything, chances are they'll be caught out and it'll be taken off them. If you've reported it to the police, they'll be keeping an eye out for it anyway
You got a bit lucky and you did well by blocking your SIM and bank. The ones that get beat up and killed are the macho types- be smart. As the saying goes:
“Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, but brains saves both.”
Reply 8
Original post by MasterJack
You got a bit lucky and you did well by blocking your SIM and bank. The ones that get beat up and killed are the macho types- be smart. As the saying goes:
“Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, but brains saves both.”

If he were the macho type he would of never of got started on in the first place.
why do you think i got my gun licence
Original post by ANM775
If he were the macho type he would of never of got started on in the first place.

that is deffo not true mate, anyone can get started on if in wrong place at wrong time. muggers don't give a **** if you're macho, with a knife anyone can be macho
Reply 11
Oh my goodness, the comments on this thread are ridiculous! I'm sorry you got mugged. I hope you're doing okay and I'm glad you're not hurt. My boyfriend almost got mugged once and it still freaks him out a bit. I'm pretty sure that you cant use your provisional once it's blocked, you can't use it for ID? Isn't there a reference number on there? That would have stopped working when you blocked it. Again, I hope you're alright!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

He took my wallet and phone. The phone was quite cheap and I've blocked that sim card and got a new sim card.

The wallet only had a few pennies inside. It also had my house keys, which they will not be able to find as I live in a different city. I have blocked that bank card and have ordered a new one.

The main thing I am worried about is that my provisional was in there. I have blocked that and have ordered a new one, but still people can use it for ID.

I am very worried now.

which city was it in?
Reply 13
Original post by Think People
How could you get mugged in this day age ?
Are you 4ft tall and unable to defend yourself ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by PrinceOfOrange
You've got to man up, you seen Mad Max? that's what's going to happen

Original post by ANM775
start lifting weights or something

people generally only look to mug others who look weak/unintimidating

You lot are savage :rofl:

Poor OP though... Might wanna get your locks changed too
Reply 14
Description of the attacker?
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymous

I am very worried now.

I'm sorry to hear OP. Don't worry about some of the previous comments, muggings are still commonplace in our society unfortunately and can happen to anyone.
Also, I wouldn't worry about the provisional, although I would be cautious about the keys, as they might be able to find your address by searching for your name that is on the bank card and provisional. Did you report the incident to the police?
Original post by ANM775

Your quintessential macho-types:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/celebrity-bodyguard-murdered-outside-home-jbx322n7x
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33597440

Brains>Biggus Dickus
Reply 17

They weren't muggings. In the case of the bodyguard they were stealing his unattended bike and he went out and challanged them, ...but anyway,
There's always going to be some exception to the rule but generally speaking you are much less likely to get started on if you look like you can handle yourself.

I once belonged to a forum and lots of forum members often used to complain that they would sometimes get random people yelling abuse at them and stuff. I found it odd because it never happened to me. A lot of these people were women, and some were males. If you were to see them and sterotype them they did not look intimidating or hard at all, many of them quite the opposite. I actually met quite a few of these people.

maybe a year or two later i fancied a change of hair style and decided to grow my hair out. I noticed I started getting abuse every now and then, it was mostly men shouting stuff at cars. I remember one guy looked at me and aggressively shouted "what,and what! .. and AND WHAT" from the passenger seat as a car sped past. I couldn't work out why i was suddenly getting all this abuse,then i realized it was the hair. The hair made me look a lot more "cutsey" ...and guys just stereotyped me as a pu$$y. I was infact more likely to get in an altercation/get hurt now, I was not the guy to just sit back and let random people do that kind of stuff to me and if they had not been in moving vehicles and i had the chance to say/do something back it may have escalated quickly.

As soon as my hair reached the required lenght i got it styled into the style I wanted and the random street abuse stopped again. I no longer looked "cutsey", infact the new hair style made me look the opposite. I started going to the gym more too around this time, as i started to grow i noticed i started to get more respect from males. Random males would start to say hello to me in the street or just randomly nod at me when out eye's met. This never used to happen to me before i started lifted ...but after i put on some muscle it became very common.

I remember walking along once and some random dude was terrorizing passersby. Ran upto one dude on a bike and started verbally abusing him. started running his mouth at a girl who walked past too. He was walking in my direction and i saw him initially look at me like he was wanting to do something. Then he seemed to change his mind and completely ignored me.

Fact of the matter is, the more intimidating you look the less likely you are to encounter people giving you random ****. yes, you may still get mugged.but you are a lot less likely to ...as people will generally look for someone who they perceive as an easy target [even if you are outnumbered or they have a knife]

I mean if you were looking to mug someone and you saw someone who looked like the rock walking past. and you had a knife, would you go try mug him or wait 5 minutes for some much weaker looking target to come along?

- not trying to say i look like the rock, but you get the picture. people generally prefer to go for someone weak when looking to start trouble/mug/attack
Can't remember what info is on a provisional but full address is definitely on a full license along with date of birth and full name so they have plenty of info for identity fraud and finding the house the keys go with. Get your locks changed and report it to the police, the DVLA may ask for an incident number when replacing your license card.
Some of these comments are ridiculous. TSR has seriously gone down hill will the amount of idiots on here now.

OP, report the incident to the police. Call the DVLA and possibly change the lock on your front door because if they have your drivers licence, they know where you live now. Glad you're not hurt, take care.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending