The Student Room Group

School wants me to do maths gcse again even though i got an A*

I wrote my maths GCSE in year 10 and got an A*. The school said if we are able to get an A* we dont have to do the harder one next year so I worked really hard to get an A* so that I could concentrate on other subjects. But now we were told we still have to do the new GCSE so that we have two maths GCSE qualifications which will 'look good on our CV'. Do you think I should still pay equal attention on the maths despite having done it already and got an A*?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by dannie.12
I wrote my maths GCSE in year 10 and got an A*. The school said if we are able to get an A* we dont have to do the harder one next year so I worked really hard to get an A* so that I could concentrate on other subjects. But now we were told we still have to do the new GCSE so that we have two maths GCSE qualifications which will 'look good on our CV'. Do you think I should still pay equal attention on the maths despite having done it already and got an A*?

dont do it
Reply 2
Original post by NimcoA
dont do it

Can i tell them i dont want to do it?
Reply 3

Yes you can it smells like utter ********. taking the same qualification but with a new spec does not make sense. Theyre taking the mick. you got an A* as well i would understand if it was a c or a d even maybe a b
Get your parents in if they dont listen, Utter idiots
(edited 7 years ago)

I would say no in that situation.
Are you sure it isn't something like Additional Maths or Further Maths GCSE because I think some schools do that in Y11?
It definitely seems pretty pointless to do both maths GCSEs.

However, if they will not relent and do end up forcing you to do it, make sure you do still work for it - remember that when you come to fill out your UCAS forms, you must write down ALL qualifications and exams you have taken, which would include both maths GCSEs.
Reply 7
Original post by surina16
Are you sure it isn't something like Additional Maths or Further Maths GCSE because I think some schools do that in Y11?

NO, I asked my teacher and she said we were still going to do the 9 -1 GCSE in addition to the A* - U to look good on our CV
Don't do that and get your parents to complain if you do. Better to focus on other subjects and get a good balance of grades across the board. I don't even put my GCSE grades on a CV. You put Uni and possibly A-levels depending on the job you're applying for. I've had recruitment laugh at me before for listing every single one of my GCSE grades...
Just say no
Well done with the A* in year 10 thats quite impressive
Reply 11
Original post by SuperHuman98
Well done with the A* in year 10 thats quite impressive

Im proud of myself cuz I worked really hard but unfortunately it seems like I need to do it again.
You don't, trust me
You will just be putting loads of work load on you
Don't let them force you to do it
You've got the maths GCSE - new spec or old spec, it's more or less the same thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
NO, I asked my teacher and she said we were still going to do the 9 -1 GCSE in addition to the A* - U to look good on our CV

be adamant in refusing, doing another spec of maths is extremely pointless and probably wont do any difference on your CV to be honest, get a parent or carer to come in and complain as well
sounds totes ridic
I would say no. Tell your parents to get involved, they can't force you to take it because you have already achieved A*.

Why don't you do a level maths a year early? Considering you got A* anyway..
I should imagine that someone in your school has seen that you achieved an A*, thought to themselves 'ooh that looks rather good for us', and wants you to do another GCSE to improve their results statistics.
Reply 17
Original post by Ishax
I would say no. Tell your parents to get involved, they can't force you to take it because you have already achieved A*.

Why don't you do a level maths a year early? Considering you got A* anyway..

I would like to but I want to concentrate on my other subjects to get straight A*s.
Reply 18
Original post by Woody_Pigeon
I should imagine that someone in your school has seen that you achieved an A*, thought to themselves 'ooh that looks rather good for us', and wants you to do another GCSE to improve their results statistics.

That is exactly what my parents thought but I don't care about the school's statistics. I just want less work to do in Y11. I worked so hard and now I have to work even harder for the same qualification which I find pointless

nope. its not the schools fault, more the government's, they introduced a new law sometime this year which means that in Year 11, you have to do either the new gcse or AS maths. im in the same situation; got A* last year in y10, but still have to take gcse again as well as further and additional maths. its possible to disregard the new exam and come out with a 3 or something since your A* is still valid and can just put that on your CV, but you still have to take the new one and its not the best idea to deliberately do badly. the other option is to do AS, but i've heard it's too hard for y11 and will just add to the amount of work you have, so wouldn't recommend that.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest