The Student Room Group

Disadvantage if you take 3 subjects at AS???help

I'm currently doing 4 subjects at AS but i want to do 3 instead as it would help me to really concentrate on the three but im worried that unis will look down on me if they see that i have only done 3 subjects at AS level as most people do 4 at AS then drop one at A2?? someone help pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Original post by 9091student
I'm currently doing 4 subjects at AS but i want to do 3 instead as it would help me to really concentrate on the three but im worried that unis will look down on me if they see that i have only done 3 subjects at AS level as most people do 4 at AS then drop one at A2?? someone help pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

You're fine to drop. AS requirement has been removed from literally all courses.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
You're fine to drop. AS requirement has been removed from literally all courses.

Don't UCL ask for a pass in AS?
I remember their offers looking like A*AAe.
Reply 3

The title of this post is completly wrong, it is an advantage to take 3 AS............
Reply 4
Original post by GradeA*UnderA

ahh thank you!
Reply 5
if you end up really hating one and ofn't wanna continue with it you'll still have 3 A-levels to do :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
If you completely fail one and want to drop it after AS. (AS doesn't count for most exams anymore) Then you will only have 2 and you might do an extra year or do an as and a2 in one year.
Nah, Law.
I guess they've changed it now that the A-levels are linear. ****ers still want the grade in a foreign language, though.
Reply 8

It would make little difference as most universities don't tend to be put off by only 3
subjects at AS, as most people do 3 at A2, and most mention having target grades/UCAS points from at least 2 A-Levels.
Original post by BIGJohnson777
Nah, Law.
I guess they've changed it now that the A-levels are linear. ****ers still want the grade in a foreign language, though.

😂😂
Many unis don't require one anymore. I'm aiming for medicine and am only doing 3 and every uni I have contacted says this is okay, some like an EPQ too :smile:
Our school only let us take 3 to start with because of the new a level changes. This would not be a disadvantage at all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jazz_xox_
Many unis don't require one anymore. I'm aiming for medicine and am only doing 3 and every uni I have contacted says this is okay, some like an EPQ too :smile:

What unis have you contacted so far? I am thinking of applying to Oxford and UCL..? :smile:

Look at it this way, youd rather have 3 great than 4 good, cos its the first 3 that get you in, the other one is just icing

eg would you prefer

AAA

or

AABB

theyd probably take the same amount of time to revise for but AAA would be wayyy more secure for your uni

Original post by Reda2
The title of this post is completly wrong, it is an advantage to take 3 AS............

EXACTLY you can concentrate more on the 3
I have also been thinking about dropping a fourth a level and I want to apply for engineering. However, while searching about it, I cam across this for Kings:

' Currently King’s College only requires students to present a “fourth” AS-level subject for admissions on to two of its programmes, Medicine and Dentistry, where a Grade B is required in a fourth AS-level (so an offer may appear as three A-Levels at AAA, and one AS level at B). Currently we feel that this is appropriate and effective additional discriminator between applicants for these programmes, as the level of competition is so strong.
The College already provides the flexibility for the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) to be substituted in place of the fourth AS subject for these subjects. The College does not include the EPQ in our standard offers for two main reasons; not all students have access to the qualification and also this risks making an offer including the EPQ more challenging than the standard offer, penalising students who have sought to stretch themselves. In terms of supporting transition to university-level study the College feels that the EPQ in an excellent tool for supporting independent research skills and allows students to study a particular area in greater depth, which may of course help them to explore their interest in a university subject not offered at post-16 level. This subject exploration could then be included in a personal statement.
In the case of entry to degree programmes offered by our Department of Mathematics, our students are required to take Further Mathematics to at least AS-level. This could of course be included in their main three A-levels, in the form of A-level Further Mathematics alongside two other subjects and therefore does not require a fourth A-level. '

So, you need to look at the universities you want to go to individually and check what they ask for:smile:. Also, I can't find a statement from Imperial so does anyone know their view on an AS for engineering?
Original post by Ranadosa
What unis have you contacted so far? I am thinking of applying to Oxford and UCL..? :smile:

Oxford, Durham, York and I think I also emailed Lancaster. I think it was York and maybe another that wanted an EPQ instead but I'm pretty sure Oxford was one that only required 3 AS. And this is specifically for medicine. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest