The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QE2
No they don't. That is obvious because the majority of Muslim women don't wear the niqab/burqa, and many don't even wear the hijab.
Or are you calling them "Not True Muslims"?

religion is down to interpretation and although many muslims do things that are against our religion it's not down for me to judge them on their actions however muslim women "should" wear the hijab and make sure their breasts are covered “and not display their beauty except what is apparent, and they should place their khumur over their bosoms" khumur being a veil covering the head
Was she going to eat in the resturant? Doesn't she have to remove it to eat anyway lool?
Reply 202
Original post by Jee1
Then you're entitled to your own opinion. But don't believe the media hype not many muslims will ever think about hurting a fly let alone a fellow human it's haram to even kill spiders in Islam
Interesting.
You illustrate your claim that few Muslims abide by the rules of Islam by claiming that they follow the rules of Islam. (And BTW, while it may be haram to kill a spider, it is most certainly not haram to kill people. See Quran 5:33, for example)

And although only a tiny minority actually put the killing bits into practice, a sizable minority (and the majority in some countries) support it in principle.
how would she have eaten? lifted it up for every mouthful??
Original post by QE2
Yes. And you are helping me with one of them.

how
Original post by Jee1
Then you're entitled to your own opinion. But don't believe the media hype not many muslims will ever think about hurting a fly let alone a fellow human it's haram to even kill spiders in Islam

I don't believe the media. That's exactly why I believe what I believe. If I listened to, and believe the media then I'd think that all of the attacks made by Muslim immigrants were not by Muslims and had no connection.
Also, racism being about race not religion is fact, not opinion.
What I don't really understand about the whole thing is that although I appreciate the idea they want to dress modestly, why can't they just wear loose clothing and a Hijab? You can see the face, but you're dressed modestly, it's what most Muslims do who want to wear such clothing anyway. Sorry if this offends anyone but I simply cannot accept that any women would ever want to wear a Niqab or Burka if they had complete freedom of choice, they totally isolate you from your fellow human beings and particularly in the case of the Burka, literally seem like a one person walking prison to me.

When I worked in retail a few times I'd see a couple/family where the woman was wearing a Niqab, the women never spoke any English or weren't allowed to speak to me. Once a woman clearly wanted something from a higher shelf, she just came up to me and then gestured to it in silence, got it for her, she mumbled something but I didn't hear it. Goes back to where her husband is with the trolley (obviously he hasn't waited for her), he was having words with her and slapped her arm, saw him look at me afterwards. Felt like knocking the little ****** on his arse. I felt really sorry for her, I'd give her a hug but she'd probably end up half buried in the ground and have bricks thrown at her head until she died if I did. It's obviously only a minority who are importing that degree of extremely backward culture but it has absolutely no place in this country, if you want to live like that go elsewhere.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Allie4
how would she have eaten? lifted it up for every mouthful??

Maybe they pull the cloth down so the slot is in front of their mouth and then put food in like one would put letters in a letterbox.
Reply 208
Original post by samaad1
Becuase those things do not need to be wore inside however for muslim women and girls the niqab hijab burqah all have to be worn inside

Niqab, hijab, and burka are not mentioned in the Quran. Muslim women do not "have to" wear these outfits. They are cultural and political clothes.
Reply 209
Original post by Good bloke

Now, you may say that modern nuns wear similar clothes, and that is correct.

No, you can still see their face.
Whole story is a bit dodgy. The victim seems to be a devout Moslem yet goes to a beer garden that sells pork. What the hell was she planning to eat. She is asked to show her face and immediately becomes abusive and is asked to leave. Very quickly Facebook explodes with bad commentary.

Sounds like he was stitched up, frankly. Whole thing stinks of a set up. Poorly executed, try harder to garner outrage.
Sad but there's worse stuff happening across the world in places like Syria and Africa
Original post by BaconandSauce
not even for a soft drink with friends?

Nope. There are some things I wouldn't do. Not that there is anything wrong with it. After all, it is just soft drink. But, I just wouldn't. Like my muslim friends even invited me in the past to go to a Shisha bar (there is nothing wrong with that either) but I always refused. That's just how I am.
Original post by Saba XD
Nope. There are some things I wouldn't do. Not that there is anything wrong with it. After all, it is just soft drink. But, I just wouldn't. Like my muslim friends even invited me in the past to go to a Shisha bar (there is nothing wrong with that either) but I always refused. That's just how I am.

you must be fun at parties
Original post by Bros R Us

Some people just don't want to drink or go to places they don't want to go to. That doesn't mean they're not fun people.

Ahhh so going to bars would make me more fun? :rolleyes:
Personal preference? Ever thought of that?
Original post by uberteknik
Exactly. From a courtesy perspectivee it would be like an atheist visiting a mosque and then refusing to remove their shoes.

As others have stated, this appears to be someone who had the intent of stirring trouble.

May as well have worn a Klu Klux Klan head gear and sat in predominately blacks gay bar and then cited human rights violations when asked to leave.

I loved your comment. :lol:

mind = blown
Original post by Viva Emptiness
The point is not who should be outraged by what, but should private property owners have the last say on who is in their establishments (again, for reasons other than race, sexuality, things you cannot choose etc.).

Further more it is frustrating that no one understands an analogy. The KKK example was simply my replacing another garment associated with a set of personal beliefs to illustrate how nonsensical that posters argument was. At the very least she should have been more specific about the parameters of when her rule should hold.

I understand your logic (and it makes sense) but I'm not a very good liberal :tongue: I don't place the rights of property above people.

Whether it is the state or a property owner being stupid or prejudiced makes no difference to me. From my point of view they are intertwined anyway. The private property owner relies on the state to protect his/her's property. Banning a wearing a
burkha Muslim woman from a public beach or private restaurant is basically the same thing. It's either based on a prejudice against these women, not wanting to eat/beach in the presence of opressed women or is some kind of well meaning but nonetheless idiotic attempt at freeing said oppressed women.

I'm just listening to people like this basically.
http://www.theexmuslim.com/2016/08/24/burkini-bikini-false-equivalence-disproportionate-outrage/

I understood your analogy I get you point that we wouldn't bat an eye lid if a restaurant kicked out some KKK people for wearing their ghost robes. I just think my analogy better sums up what is going on. These women are the oppressed party which is an important factor when making an analogy. Although I admit I didn't read the OP :tongue:

Since I don't respect private property rights to the same level you do I;m fine with the government telling restaurant owners they can't ban burkha wearing women but they can ban bed sheet wearing KKK members. The rights of the oppressed Muslim woman trumps that of the restaurant owner and his property.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Josb

And the women who wear these outfit keep claiming that they do it out of choice.

So you believe that?

What about the women who can not say that?

Why are you denying them the option to got the beach?

"
It is honestly a bit confusing to me, this idea that prominent examples of women vocally and visibly defending their adherence to hijab in a certain community can act AS EVIDENCE that hijab is not coerced in that context.Because pointing to visible examples of positive, willing adherence to the hijab does not and cannot speak to what happens in the case of dissent.

Sanctioned modesty is very, very much a pressing and relevant issue in Muslim communities in the West. Women suffering from this are largely invisible, closeted, and unheard, and unfortunately unless one is immersed in the problem, or has access to safe ex-Muslim or reformist Muslim spaces, one is not liable be exposed to this problem, its mechanics, to understand how deep it runs.

The Muslim women who have visibility and whose voices are elevated and endorsed by their communities? They are not the ones dissenting to their community’s norms. Is that not intuitive?I don’t know what people mean or understand by “coercion,” but positive adherence to modesty doctrine does not negate the presence of constraint.Further to that, positive adherence to modesty doctrine in the presence of social sanction and encouragement is only to be expected.

Conforming to an extant social norm and feeling free and empowered to do so is not only entirely possible in the presence of systemic constraint, but encouraged and enabled by it. Especially if it is adherence within a fold that has no truck with outsiders (eg particularly insular communities).

Because while those who choose to conform are visible, those who are not free to dissent are not.
"

http://www.theexmuslim.com/2016/08/24/burkini-bikini-false-equivalence-disproportionate-outrage/

Why don't you listen to Ex-Muslims?

Latest

Trending

Trending