The Student Room Group

Chemical vs. Civil vs. Aerospace

Hi guys! Soon to be applying for unis and a bit stuck on what I want to do. First a bit of background, currently studying Physics, Maths and Chemistry at A Level and feel I can achieve pretty highly (got 4 A's at AS) hopefully squeeze and A* or two out of this year. I love science, especially Physics, and I also love Maths and I'd say that was my strongest subject. I want to know, from people with personal experience, how they feel about their courses, their lives or job prospects based on what they studied as this will help me on what I choose. Big thank you in advance!
(edited 7 years ago)
So I do Aerospace and I feel it's a really great but very intensive course as at my uni it's more like a combined Electrical/Mechanical/Computer Science degree and it seems like they power through 80% of the directly aerospace related content of most other degrees in the space of one semester in order to make that happen, so that's gonna be fun. Our course is very work hard, play hard though so it doesn't really impact on our social lives or extracurriculars. Job prospects are very good, there are a handful of us who are two years away from graduation but already have offers.
Reply 2
Hey man that sounds great! I'm assuming you're really enjoying the course then? May I ask which uni you are studying at and how'd you find life their? Thanks a lot :smile:
Original post by merked
Hey man that sounds great! I'm assuming you're really enjoying the course then? May I ask which uni you are studying at and how'd you find life their? Thanks a lot :smile:

Yeah I really like it, it has its down points but overall I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm at university of Sheffield, it's a great city to live in especially as a student, loads of things to do and a great night life. It's not the cheapest of cities but it's not prohibitively expensive either.
Reply 4
Yeah im interested in Sheffield I may take a look around! What would you say were the down sides of the course?
Original post by merked
Yeah im interested in Sheffield I may take a look around! What would you say were the down sides of the course?

Some of the lecturers aren't great but that'll occur wherever you go. More specific to Sheffield some of the practical content is taught later than it made sense to be. The intensity of it can also be a bit much if you're not up to it.

Quick Reply

Latest