The Student Room Group

How come a woman's looks seem to be talked about more than her achievements.

How come whatever a female achieves she is still, in general, judged on how she looks. I see it with female athletes in sport but not really with men. I remember when that woman broke a record for sailing a few years ago and many comments just stated how ugly she was. I was just reading this about astronomy and although there arn't many comments most of them are about the astronauts looks lol

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3678225/NASA-biologist-turned-astronaut-Kate-Rubins-blasts-Kazakhstan-make-visit-International-Space-Station.html

Correct me if you think I'm wrong in what I've observed, maybe men get it just as bad I don't know

Scroll to see replies

Look at why looks are considerd importnat in society and media.
Look at who might be inhabiting the DM comment section.
Reply 2
I think, because - despite what people try and say - people can still be shallow and judgemental. I believe we're taught this in school and every day life. When was the last time you saw an advert with a plus size woman in? Same goes for facial features and so on.
The first thing men do when seeing a woman is decide if shes hot or not. Everything else comes after that
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Look at why looks are considerd importnat in society and media.
Look at who might be inhabiting the DM comment section.

True true daily mail isn't the best source to use to get across a point
Reply 5
Original post by The_JoKeR
The first thing men do when seeing a woman is decide if shes hot or not. Everything else comes after that

Is she either hot or not, like is there no in between..
because as males, generally you look at someone before knowing anything about them and you decide if she is attractive or not.
For most men picking partners Looks come way before achievements and those aren't important really.
Original post by indigofox

It's more, would you have sex with her, it's a yes or a no.
Reply 8
For some reason this infuriates me that people think that way. :/

Based solely on appearance, yes.
People are shallow and dumb.
This really saddens me
Reply 12
Original post by IronicalMan
because as males, generally you look at someone before knowing anything about them and you decide if she is attractive or not.
For most men picking partners Looks come way before achievements and those aren't important really.

They are not important for sex/relationships just like most females wouldn't mind if a potential male partner had achieved amazing things or not, so long as he had some income/resources according to social studies. But the article wasn't about dating the woman it was about the science. Surely men can seperate sexuality from other aspects of life.
Reply 13
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
This really saddens me

Me too. I just feel a bit lost at what to say about it. Guarantee I will have a full blown essay about it tomorrow!
Reply 14
Original post by The_JoKeR
Based solely on appearance, yes.

So you don't get different levels of hot or not..ness from say 1-10..
They are not important for sex/relationships just like most females wouldn't mind if a potential male partner had achieved amazing things or not, so long as he had some income/resources according to social studies. But the article wasn't about dating the woman it was about the science. Surely men can seperate sexuality from other aspects of life.

And the womens income/resource to men is attractiveness and whether they can bring something, eg children, cook etc.
Reply 16
Original post by Emilyhp
Me too. I just feel a bit lost at what to say about it. Guarantee I will have a full blown essay about it tomorrow!

I will look forward to reading :smile:
stereotypes
Reply 18
I will look forward to reading :smile:

I may just post it here too!! :smile:
So you don't get different levels of hot or not..ness from say 1-10..

You can get levels but in the end she'll either be hot or not, levels don't really have much of a bearing on this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending