The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

2nd Year Entry

When applying to a Scottish university after studying A-levels should I apply for entry into the second year?
Reply 1
Original post by SamNewey1612
When applying to a Scottish university after studying A-levels should I apply for entry into the second year?

If you have the option, yes.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by ombtom
If you have the option, yes.

Can you apply for just normal entry then (provided you get the grades) if change your mind after results day switch to year 2 entry?
Reply 3
Original post by DarkEnergy
Can you apply for just normal entry then (provided you get the grades) if change your mind after results day switch to year 2 entry?

At St Andrews, yes. My friend did that :smile:
Original post by ombtom
At St Andrews, yes. My friend did that :smile:

Thanks!
Reply 5
What is the benefit for starting at year 2? I want to study Materials Chemistry, I expect to get an A* at A2 level but don't want to risk starting from behind if I try to start at the 2nd year. What kind of proportion of people on the course start at year 2?
Reply 6
Original post by mickey71
What is the benefit for starting at year 2? I want to study Materials Chemistry, I expect to get an A* at A2 level but don't want to risk starting from behind if I try to start at the 2nd year. What kind of proportion of people on the course start at year 2?

I'm not sure if Materials Chemistry is the same, but for Physics about a third of people in my lectures are second year ("direct") entry students. First year is equivalent to A2 level material, and there isn't much point studying it again.

Extra help is given to direct entry students who haven't learnt something taught in the first year. Most direct entry people received extra help with hyperbolic functions and limits last week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending