The Student Room Group

Pharmacy with B grade in English GCSE

I did my GCSEs this summer and achieved a B in my English Lang but A's in my sciences & maths.
Will I be able to get into a pharmacy degree with this English grade If my A level results are good?

The A levels I will be studying are Biology, Chemistry & psychology.

Please reply honesly
Reply 1
Original post by Lazybutmotivated
I did my GCSEs this summer and achieved a B in my English Lang but A's in my sciences & maths.
Will I be able to get into a pharmacy degree with this English grade If my A level results are good?

The A levels I will be studying are Biology, Chemistry & psychology.

Please reply honesly

You'll be fine, as long as you have English and Mathematics at a minimum of a B at GCSE Level.

No Pharmacy school demands an A in English at GCSE. As for Maths, Nottingham is the only uni that requires an A in GCSE Maths, with the rest asking for B-C.

Focus more on getting the grades required at A Level (AAB-ABB), because you have absolutely nothing to worry about with your GCSE results.
If i am honest, I would say that your GCSE grades are not important as your A levels. Your GCSE grades are more then enough to get into the Russell Group Unis (for UCL you only need Cs and it is one of the best unis in London). However, try to achieve 3As in you A levels as there will be a lot of competition even if the course requires AAB.

Hope this helps!
Original post by L33t
Exactly this. There are loads of people on TSR that will tell you that GCSEs aren't fine if they're anything less than A- they're just simply wrong. Most places like UoM where I study accept Cs at GCSE for most courses (Excl. medicine) you'll be fine to do pharmacy wih the B no problems at any RG/ good ranking Uni.

With oxbridge however you need to double check

On the Manchester university website, it mentions all students must have an A grade in both Gcse Maths & English, I already have the maths requirement but I'm scared I'll be declined an offer due to my English grade
Original post by m_james
You'll be fine, as long as you have English and Mathematics at a minimum of a B at GCSE Level.

No Pharmacy school demands an A in English at GCSE. As for Maths, Nottingham is the only uni that requires an A in GCSE Maths, with the rest asking for B-C.

Focus more on getting the grades required at A Level (AAB-ABB), because you have absolutely nothing to worry about with your GCSE results.

The university of Manchester demands an A in both English and Maths, and that was the uni I was hoping to apply to
A B grade in English is fine, I know that UCL will accept that as I'm actually starting my first year of pharmacy there in a couple weeks, if you have any questions feel free to ask
Original post by thewindshifts
A B grade in English is fine, I know that UCL will accept that as I'm actually starting my first year of pharmacy there in a couple weeks, if you have any questions feel free to ask

Omg, that's great! Congratulations!
Also if you don't mind me asking, what did you get in your GCSEs & A levels?
Omg, that's great! Congratulations!
Also if you don't mind me asking, what did you get in your GCSEs & A levels?

Thank you! :smile: I got 7A*'s and 4 A's in my GCSEs, an A* and 2 A's in my A levels (Maths, Chemistry and Biology) plus 2 more A's at AS (Economics and Chinese). 😆 AAB at A level is good enough to get you into the top pharmacy schools (Nottingham, bath, Cardiff, UCL etc). My advice would be to think carefully about where you want to apply, I didn't consider properly and made it a lot more difficult for myself.
Reply 8
The university of Manchester demands an A in both English and Maths, and that was the uni I was hoping to apply to

Whoever told you that was wrong...

"You must have grade B / grade 6 in the newly reformed GCSEs in English Language and Mathematics."

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2017/01695/mpharm-pharmacy/entry-requirements/#course-profile
Original post by thewindshifts
Thank you! :smile: I got 7A*'s and 4 A's in my GCSEs, an A* and 2 A's in my A levels (Maths, Chemistry and Biology) plus 2 more A's at AS (Economics and Chinese). 😆 AAB at A level is good enough to get you into the top pharmacy schools (Nottingham, bath, Cardiff, UCL etc). My advice would be to think carefully about where you want to apply, I didn't consider properly and made it a lot more difficult for myself.

Such great results!!
Original post by m_james
Whoever told you that was wrong...

"You must have grade B / grade 6 in the newly reformed GCSEs in English Language and Mathematics."

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2017/01695/mpharm-pharmacy/entry-requirements/#course-profile

Oh okay, thank you so much!

Quick Reply