The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TSR Mustafa
Non lethal shot would render the kid unable to fire , it requires better accuracy but it's not impossible.

Trust me cowboy, shooting at someone's legs is not a viable option when they are a threat! Their arms and hands won't just turn to jelly if somewhere else is injured - they will retain the capacity to shoot back
Original post by TelAviv
Trust me cowboy, shooting at someone's legs is not a viable option when they are a threat! Their arms and hands won't just turn to jelly if somewhere else is injured - they will retain the capacity to shoot back

Lol cowboy , well if you say so
Reply 42
Original post by QE2
Don't people legally have to not rob and kill people?

trutru that too
Original post by z33
don't BB guns legally have to have that bright neon orange tip so you know it ain't real?

I remember that one case where the guy took off that orange bit so one would have to assume it was a gun. He was shot when he was pointing it at random people. The BLM mongs jumped all over it anyway. People are often too stupid to grasp that in America - where everyone is armed - that one split second hesitation and you're dead.*

Can't embed as on phone but watch this:

*https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yfi3Ndh3n-g

An anti-cop protestor agrees to undergo scenarios where police might shoot people. He soon learns why it's really stupid what these anti-cop people are doing. And fair play to the guy. He had the balls to test his views and straight up admitted after that he was wrong. This should be compulsory viewing *
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by liviward36
Educate yourselves.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/07/11/arent-more-white-people-than-black-people-killed-by-police-yes-but-no/?utm_term=.82cd46083c7e

I really can't believe I live in a world where people are saying a child deserved to be murdered - because that's what it is. If this was a white child, without a doubt, this would be equally wrong! But the issue here lies in the institutional racism within America. There is undoubtable an issue and if you say otherwise you are wrong. Read a history book on American civil rights and tell me that there is progress. Ignoring racism won't make it go away. Educate yourselves first.

And don't get me started on America's lax gun control.

I haven't seen anyone on this thread say the child deserves to die, merely that the officer's reaction was appropriate.
Reply 45
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Non lethal shot would render the kid unable to fire , it requires better accuracy but it's not impossible.

https://www.pfoa.co.uk/110/shooting-to-wound
play stupid games win stupid prizes
Reply 47
I am a skill at arms instructor, and that gun looks real enough to me. I can completely understand why this happened from the policeman's point of view. What I cannot understand is why the boy, knowing that the gun he had was not real, would even go for it when the police where pointing guns at him. Was he going to throw it at them? If the boy had been unarmed then I might wonder of racism was a factor given current events, but to me it sounds like a justified shooting, regardless of the colour of the boy's skin.

For those that say they should have shot him in the leg - that doesn't stop someone from shooting back. To do it properly you would need to hit the arm, and not just anywhere in the arm. Have you ever fired a real gun? I have never fired a pistol, but I know they are not as accurate as a rifle, which I have fired, and at any kind of range it isn't easy to hit a target as small as a forearm. Doing it in the dark? That would be some fancy shooting.
(edited 7 years ago)
I expect the usual riots and violence..

But look, it was a mistake anyone could make.

They rushed the boy to hospital. If it was murder, they wouldn't have done that.
Reply 49
Original post by gwagon
Not in America. But here in the UK, they go the extra mile and paint the guns orange everywhere lool.

Actually in America I'm almost certain they have to have the muzzle painted orange or another bright colour whereas in the UK its very easy and legal to get hold of ones that look like exact replicas with no bright colours painted anywhere on them.
Robbery suspect pulls something that looks exactly like a gun, get's shot by cop in split second decision. It's tragic that the kid was only thirteen and wasn't really armed, but the result was understandable.

Guns are everywhere in the US and the cops there know it. About 50 cops are killed every year on average. They don't like taking chances.

Did it have anything to do with him being black? I really don't think so. In that situation, pull a gun (or something that looks just like one) on a police officer and you're running a high risk of getting shot, no matter what colour you are.
Original post by z33
don't BB guns legally have to have that bright neon orange tip so you know it ain't real?

Yes and no, in the UK it depends what licences you have

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Yes and no, in the UK it depends what licences you have

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the US, you have to have an orange tip as far as I am aware, but you can easily take them off. In the UK if you have no licence then it needs to be painted orange, but you can easily paint that so.
Reply 53
Original post by Crijjkal

Will BLM take hold of this event to further their agenda ?

This is really rich....

Considering you are the one who decided to thread this, with the baity all caps "BREAKING" prelude, as if it's some extraordinary event. Who really has an agenda here?

:bebored:
Reply 54
Anyway I've read the article and there is not enough information to make a judgement. It's not very convincing for anyone yet alone a 13 year old to pull a weapon on an officer, chances are the cops found it after they killed him or he was trying to hand it over and the cop got trigger happy.

What I really want to know is they were actually responsible for the robbery. Because the alleged victim would have gave a description that would have specified age. Now if he stopped these kids when he was supposed to be looking for men, then clearly this is another deadly case of racial profiling.
Original post by Truths
Anyway I've read the article and there is not enough information to make a judgement. It's not very convincing for anyone yet alone a 13 year old to pull a weapon on an officer, chances are the cops found it after they killed him or he was trying to hand it over and the cop got trigger happy.

What I really want to know is they were actually responsible for the robbery. Because the alleged victim would have gave a description that would have specified age. Now if he stopped these kids when he was supposed to be looking for men, then clearly this is another deadly case of racial profiling.

If somebody pulling a weapon on police is so unconvincing then hoe have thousands been murdered over the past few decades, pretty sure that involves pulling a weapon on the police.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KingBradly
Sounds like a very sad and unfortunate incident, where no-one is particularly to blame, but perhaps the police can learn from it.

Well, they've certainly had enough 'practice incidents' fatalities to learn from haven't they?
Reply 57
Original post by Jammy Duel
If somebody pulling a weapon on police is so unconvincing then hoe have thousands been murdered over the past few decades, pretty sure that involves pulling a weapon on the police.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because one he is a child (who is most likely familiar with Tamar Rice at that). Two, he wasn't even carrying a real gun so what kind of stand off could he possibly expect to have?
Reply 58
Original post by BobSausage
What's the big deal over him being black? If he was a white robbery suspect would the police have laughed and let him off??? Of course they wouldn't people need to grow up and look past that at the fact that
A) a boy pulled a gun (although it was fake it looked realistic) on an officer
B) The police shot a kid.
TBH in this circumstance I don't blame them, but I know if this was the UK he would have been shot non-lethally and be alive for questioning.
So basically gun laws are poor, and the yanks need to grow a pair and knuckle down on their lax gun laws, then remove them from their officers.

SOME of the cops in america are brutal due to a person being black over the slightest issue eg; walking 1 metre away to get out of the traffics way and you'll be shot 8 times (when you weren't even armed or under arrest). Another example: 'suspected' of selling loose cigarettes and you'll get put into choke and have your face shoved into the concrete while you tell them you cant breath 10+ times (once youre suffocated nobody will perform cpr)
name of the person im talking about are Eric Garner
Its also not just that, its the fact that they do stuff like edit the bible and go to so much effort to try hide that ancient egyptians weren't of african descent.
ALSO i'm not black or white (mixed 1/4 puerto rican 1/4 cuban 1/4 samoan 1/4 columbian-carib indian)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tempest II
I do sometimes wonder why police don't shoot for the leg; at least that way the guy should survive.
I suppose it's easier to aim for the centre of mass though & if it's your life in danger you're going to want to safeguard it.
Still, certainly for kids I definitely think a shot to a non-lethal area should be the first option where possible. At the end of the day, the officer has to make their own decision though.

Centre of mass is more likely to hit and more likely to make it so they can't shoot you back. If you have the aim to shoot someone in the leg every time, and could ensure they wouldn't shoot back after they are hit then I would say you should shoot them in the leg.

Latest

Trending

Trending