The Student Room Group

Preparing Myself For University Interviews- Medicine

Hello!! I just started year 12 and I know it may be a bit too early to even begin thinking about university choices and interviews, but I feel that being an early bird is always safe... I have been told that in interviews for Medical colleges your interviewer could ask you about issues currently occurring in the Medical industry and your opinions on very controversial issues, and I wanted to know if there are any really interesting and cutting edge topics in the science industry on the whole which I could research, so can you please recommend some topics to research or can you tell me about some issues which you find particularly interesting?

Reply 1
Original post by Mveeramani0606
Hello!! I just started year 12 and I know it may be a bit too early to even begin thinking about university choices and interviews, but I feel that being an early bird is always safe... I have been told that in interviews for Medical colleges your interviewer could ask you about issues currently occurring in the Medical industry and your opinions on very controversial issues, and I wanted to know if there are any really interesting and cutting edge topics in the science industry on the whole which I could research, so can you please recommend some topics to research or can you tell me about some issues which you find particularly interesting?

The whole point of these questions is to see what research you have done, how aware of the industry you are, and what interests you have. If other people tell you what to look for that just defeats the point of the question! People can give you advice on where to look, but they're not going to tell you what topics to look for.
Original post by Mveeramani0606

Hey there,

Well, basically keep abreast of the BBC health pages. Try to read a couple of articles every day, or scan the headlines at least so you are clued up in current affairs.

As well as this, you should definitely type 'Richard Lehman's weekly review' into Google. It should bring up the corresponding search result (like this week's post here). Richard Lehman writes funny, insightful summaries of medical journals each week. It will give you an insight into the scientific jargon in medical papers, and also analysis.

We actually also have a weekly news summary blog which picks out the most interesting medical reads. We publish it every Monday, so you can check our blogs page at the start of each week.

Also, remember to stay up to date on the junior doctors contract news!

Hope you find the above useful,
The Medic Portal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending