The Student Room Group

Do we have to pay tax on savings sccount??

Hi I'm going to make a personal savings account today. I have no idea if this means we have to pay tax or interest on savings account. I earn 23k but I've never had a savings account before. And I only recently started working.

Thanks.
Your first £1000 is tax free.
I was under the impression that you only pay tax on savings if you're getting over £1000 (I think this changes with your income tax band) in interest per year from it? And if you're earning under a certain amount you don't pay any tax on savings at all.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
From April 2016, there's a new personal savings allowance. Interest on savings is tax free, to a threshold of £1,000 for basic-rate (20%) taxpayers, and £500 for those who pay higher-rate tax. Tax will no longer be deducted by your bank or building society and all interest will be paid gross.
Reply 4
So if I made a savings account it should be tax free???
Original post by Sarahsez
So if I made a savings account it should be tax free???

Pretty much, as you'd have to have A LOT of money in savings in order to reach the threshold of interest earnings in which you would have to pay tax.
Reply 6
Original post by Sarahsez
Hi I'm going to make a personal savings account today. I have no idea if this means we have to pay tax or interest on savings account. I earn 23k but I've never had a savings account before. And I only recently started working.

Thanks.

In the current interest rate environment you'd need to have £20k in an account paying 5% interest to be taxed.

Quick Reply