The Student Room Group

The Guardian is such an underrated newspaper

Scroll to see replies

The guardian isn't really underrated a lot of people rate it.
Original post by Iridocyclitis
The Guardian is so underrated - it is a progressive newspaper with quality journalism and thoughtful commentary; it does not peddle hate, but promotes tolerant values. I also find their investigative journalism to be excellent.

I really don't get why their circulation is so low.

We need more of the Guardian - a paper with quality journalism and progressive, tolerant values - and less of the right-wing press! Agree?

'We need more newspapers like this because it espouses beliefs/views I hold and I don't like hearing contrary opinion'

The Guardian is neoliberal garbage that caters to students and people that never grew up.
It's so underrated that it is in deep trouble financially and has had to lay off staff and is soon going to start charging for some of its online stuff. LOL.

It's not even the best at investigative journalism, The Times is. And for sport, you can't really beat the Daily Mail, regardless of what you think of the other parts of it.
It's investigative journalism is outstanding. Just recently it uncovered the victorian like worker conditions at Sports Direct which has now resulted in Sports Direct paying back unpaid wages, offering far more permanent contracts, abolishing its six strikes policy and generally improving worker conditions. That never would have happened but for the Guardian uncovering it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by undercxver
Most of the time? It's only been recently. Obviously you won't see any newspaper ignoring headlines.

It never supported Corbyn and has been opposed to him since he became leader.
People seem to make out like the Guardian is this far left paper. It's centre left and occasionally leans centre right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The problem I believe is that The Guardian is pretty much ONE left-wing paper vs MANY right-wing papers, it's simply outnumbered though not necessarily underrated.

When it comes to promoting progressive and tolerant values, it shouldn't be at the cost of being tolerant of intolerance, all while being in denial about the reality of many things (i.e. religion, culture). The Guardian's political correctness (a vague term, I know) is its achilles heel IF it wants to take on the many bogies (Sun, DM). MLK wasn't PC about the effects of racism, you simply have to acknowledge no matter how nice you are, some people just want you dead.

The right-wing press caters to the survival at any cost whereas the left-wing press caters to pathological altruism. One will bring idiocracy, the other will bring suicide.
I'm sure it's wonderful if you're an immigrant that can't speak English or function in the British society, but then you wouldn't be able to read it anyway...
Original post by Dandaman1
Part of what I hate most about the Guardian is its 'top picks' of the readers' comments under the articles. They pick the ones they happen to agree with politically and eventually hide all the ones calling them out on their BS when they close the comments, even when people are overwhelmingly thumbing these up. It's pathetic.

Yep, I hate that too. And often the ones that get most upvoted are the ones that go against their narrative.

They must know deep down that their view of the world is dying out though.
Original post by MasterJack
The problem I believe is that The Guardian is pretty much ONE left-wing paper vs MANY right-wing papers, it's simply outnumbered though not necessarily underrated.

When it comes to promoting progressive and tolerant values, it shouldn't be at the cost of being tolerant of intolerance, all while being in denial about the reality of many things (i.e. religion, culture). The Guardian's political correctness (a vague term, I know) is its achilles heel IF it wants to take on the many bogies (Sun, DM). MLK wasn't PC about the effects of racism, you simply have to acknowledge no matter how nice you are, some people just want you dead.

The right-wing press caters to the survival at any cost whereas the left-wing press caters to pathological altruism. One will bring idiocracy, the other will bring suicide.

What about The Independant, The HuffPo, and The Mirror? Also, The Evening Standard is supposed to be centre-right but it feels very centre-left these days. And then there's the host of left-wing news sites online, and of course BBC News is pretty centre left.
Look at that fricking headline, it's more sensationalizing than the Daily Express

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/16/trump-miami-clinton-disarm-security-obama-birther
Original post by Bornblue
It's investigative journalism is outstanding. Just recently it uncovered the victorian like worker conditions at Sports Direct which has now resulted in Sports Direct paying back unpaid wages, offering far more permanent contracts, abolishing its six strikes policy and generally improving worker conditions. That never would have happened but for the Guardian uncovering it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've got to :love: the guardian for that :h: and all the other stories they cover here and across the globe

I read their stuff from time to time
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm actually very puzzled by this. Quality journalism usually implies a non-biased who-what-where-when-why report.

People didn't want that, so we end up getting infotainment. Can you provide examples of insightful, unbiased journalism that provides details without opinion in the Guardian?

Or do you have a different opinion of quality journalism that you could provide me? I suspect the word 'Quality' means 'Severely biased towards my political views, which include all views held by my political party of choice.'

Jessica Valenti is a c***. There are even worse articles than that though. One was complaining about how some chef making curry or something was cultural appropriation.
Original post by BobBobson
No one reads it because it's left-wing garbage. There's bias in every article and their opinion pieces are just propaganda from pseudo-intellectuals telling you how to think. Looks like you're sucked in mate. GG.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Strong avi to post ratio :biggrin: #cantbarragethefarage
Original post by Little Popcorns
The guardian isn't really underrated a lot of people rate it.

My thoughts exactly
I find it bizarre that people criticise a paper for being biased. Every paper and every individual is biased. There is no such thing as a truly impartial opinion.

The Guardian is certainly biased in that it supports a centre left, social democratic type politics but it is no more biased (and indeed less biased) then many right wing papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KingBradly
What about The Independant, The HuffPo, and The Mirror? Also, The Evening Standard is supposed to be centre-right but it feels very centre-left these days. And then there's the host of left-wing news sites online, and of course BBC News is pretty centre left.

The Evening Standard is most certainly not centre left. It recently endorsed Zachary Goldsmith.
The BBC is not centre left either. It bugs me how both the right and left think the BBC is biased against them. That's probably a good indicator that it is generally balanced. It leans centre left on some issues, centre right on others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MasterJack

Why do you assume that there's an underlying right-wing bias in the press?

Left wing
- The Guardian.
- The Independent.
- The Mirror.

Centre
- The Times.

Right wing
- The Telegraph.
- The Daily Mail.
- The Express.
Original post by jake4198
Why do you assume that there's an underlying right-wing bias in the press?

Left wing
- The Guardian.
- The Independent.
- The Mirror.

Centre
- The Times.

Right wing
- The Telegraph.
- The Daily Mail.
- The Express.

The Sun is very right wing. The times is centre right really. The independent endorsed the Conservatives at the last election.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply