The Student Room Group

What is your opinion on rebound relationships?

Out of curiosity, I don't know how to help my friend as he's in this situation.

He's bored (fed up) with the relationship he is now, but he's stuck. He's stuck because his ex girlfriend has blocked him off social media, changed her number and doesn't want anything to do with him. Potentially hates him. They were together for nearly 3 years.

He did want to reconcile with her in September last year, but it didn't work out. I don't want to say when they officially broke up because that may be embarrassing for him as he's still mourning the relationship. Even though, he broke it off.

What do you think he should do?

Scroll to see replies

Rebounds rarely work becayse they havent resolved the one they were previously in.

If he's bored he should end it, but thats up to him. Whether he carries on or not, he is still getting over the previous one.
Original post by Anonymous

He's bored (fed up) with the relationship he is now, but he's stuck. He's stuck because his ex girlfriend has blocked him off social media, changed her number and doesn't want anything to do with him. Potentially hates him.
What do you think he should do?

Accept that she really does hate him, realise that's not the kind of person he wants to date anyway and get over it.
Reply 3
Original post by ValerieKR
Accept that she really does hate him, realise that's not the kind of person he wants to date anyway and get over it.

The worst part is he's been with this girl for 9 months and a previous relationship for 18 months purely because she wouldn't take him back. If she did, they'd be dropped in a heart beat.

I don't think he likes to be alone, I do think he needs time alone to reflect on his actions and decide what to do next.
Original post by 999tigger
Rebounds rarely work becayse they havent resolved the one they were previously in.

If he's bored he should end it, but thats up to him. Whether he carries on or not, he is still getting over the previous one.

This
Reply 5

He's been with her for 9 months now. I think he'll end it soon, but he doesn't like to be alone and doesn't know where he stands with his ex girlfriend. In terms of, if she will take him back or not.
Reply 6
Oh I forgot to mention, in his 18 month rebound relationship prior to this one.. He was on tinder whilst having a girlfriend! 😳 so many red flags lol
He's been with her for 9 months now. I think he'll end it soon, but he doesn't like to be alone and doesn't know where he stands with his ex girlfriend. In terms of, if she will take him back or not.

Why do you care?

Youve answered your own question though. If he's in it becayse he doesnt like to be alone, then that isnt the strongest reason to be with anyone becayse someone else could come along and they can just switch.

He is deluding himself about the ex, it ended for a reason.

My opinion on rebounds is they are ok if both parties are happy, but the rbounder should be honest as to what his intentions and feelings are so the other person knows. Its fine if they both know, but if he keeps his feelings for his ex hidden then he isnt really being fair on the new person. Thats one of the reasons they very rarely work becayse the rebound means hey have unresolved issues and arent with the current person for he right reasons.

Im indifferent to them, they just are, they serve a puirpose for some people. As long as no one is being deceived then they are harmless. He has to start dating sometime and someone has to be the revound. They simply have a low success rate. If the end was just sex or soemthing casual, then they cna be fine.
Reply 8
Why do you care?

Youve answered your own question though. If he's in it becayse he doesnt like to be alone, then that isnt the strongest reason to be with anyone becayse someone else could come along and they can just switch.

He is deluding himself about the ex, it ended for a reason.

My opinion on rebounds is they are ok if both parties are happy, but the rbounder should be honest as to what his intentions and feelings are so the other person knows. Its fine if they both know, but if he keeps his feelings for his ex hidden then he isnt really being fair on the new person. Thats one of the reasons they very rarely work becayse the rebound means hey have unresolved issues and arent with the current person for he right reasons.

Im indifferent to them, they just are, they serve a puirpose for some people. As long as no one is being deceived then they are harmless. He has to start dating sometime and someone has to be the revound. They simply have a low success rate. If the end was just sex or soemthing casual, then they cna be fine.

I just wanted advice on how to help him.

Okay, that's great. I'll let him know! Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 9
He dumped his ex girlfriend.

I can't edit my last post but he has kept his feelings hidden for his ex girlfriend and she doesn't know she exists which is a red flag to me.
I just wanted advice on how to help him.

Okay, that's great. I'll let him know! Thanks for your help :smile:

I dont see there is any way to help him.
1. His old relationship appears to be over completely so he has to move on. It has to work for both people and she made him an ex for a reason. Maybe in several years when he has move on, but for now she clearlu usnt interested.

2. His new one you think he is bored of, but he knows that and hopeflly his partner does.

Its up to him when he wants to face up to things.
I dont see there is any way to help him.
1. His old relationship appears to be over completely so he has to move on. It has to work for both people and she made him an ex for a reason. Maybe in several years when he has move on, but for now she clearlu usnt interested.

2. His new one you think he is bored of, but he knows that and hopeflly his partner does.

Its up to him when he wants to face up to things.

That's true, it's weird how it worked out since he dumped her. I don't think his partner knows, she should confused. Ah well, nothing I can do then because he has to face up to it like you said.

Is there any way he could do this?
That's true, it's weird how it worked out since he dumped her. I don't think his partner knows, she should confused. Ah well, nothing I can do then because he has to face up to it like you said.

Is there any way he could do this?

He should face up to the facts as at the moment he is deluding himself.
Moving on by enjoying being single or finding someone else who makes him equally happy.

Let him carry on wasting away until he wnats to face up to it.
He should face up to the facts as at the moment he is deluding himself.
Moving on by enjoying being single or finding someone else who makes him equally happy.

Let him carry on wasting away until he wnats to face up to it.

So you think he shouldn't contact his ex girlfriend to reconcile?

I guess you're right, it's not going to work out as he's still mourning the old relationship.

No. He needs to move on. She's told him she doesn't want anything to do with him. He needs to take that as a hint.

I guess you're right, it's not going to work out as he's still mourning the old relationship.

Are you the person concerned? You seem to be taking an awful lot of interest as a friend.

Normally when people block you and say they dont wnat anything to do with you thats a sign of how they feel....

Shes an ex for a reason.
She's also blocked him and doesnt wnat anything to do with him,
Maybe get the hint and move on.
I'm more concerned for the girls he's messing around. If he's on tinder whilst dating then he shouldn't be with them at all.

Tell him that what he's doing is irresponsible and also really cruel to the girls he's dating. If you still love or are interested in getting back with an ex (no matter how subtly) you should not be dating someone new. He needs to move on before he sees anyone else.

If you don't want to tell him or get involved then unfortunately you just have to watch the accident waiting to happen.
Original post by Tiger Rag
No. He needs to move on. She's told him she doesn't want anything to do with him. He needs to take that as a hint.

Okay, thanks :smile:
Are you the person concerned? You seem to be taking an awful lot of interest as a friend.

Normally when people block you and say they dont wnat anything to do with you thats a sign of how they feel....

Shes an ex for a reason.
She's also blocked him and doesnt wnat anything to do with him,
Maybe get the hint and move on.

No haha! That's true, I guess he delayed the mourning part of the relationship by jumping into a rebound relationship so now he's stuck.
Original post by PandaCalavera
I'm more concerned for the girls he's messing around. If he's on tinder whilst dating then he shouldn't be with them at all.

Tell him that what he's doing is irresponsible and also really cruel to the girls he's dating. If you still love or are interested in getting back with an ex (no matter how subtly) you should not be dating someone new. He needs to move on before he sees anyone else.

If you don't want to tell him or get involved then unfortunately you just have to watch the accident waiting to happen.

You're absolutely right! He keeps having rebound relationships all, they go the same way and end horrifically! I think he should do her a favour and break up with her.

He needs to work on his own feelings first.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending