The Student Room Group

How to get a 9 in new maths gcse

How do I get a 9 in the new maths GCSE in 2017? Also, could someone please give me a list of the new topics in the new syllabus? Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

you need score in the top 5% of the country and as for the topics go here
https://www.mathswatchvle.com/ and click higher or foundation and then topic
Original post by dannie.12
How do I get a 9 in the new maths GCSE in 2017? Also, could someone please give me a list of the new topics in the new syllabus? Thanks

The grade boundaries will be set after the papers are marked and the results are analysed. Nobody knows what they will be but the 9 is expected to be awarded to roughly 3 or 4% of candidates.

http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/gcse.html is a good site for free revision material. The new topics are to be found at level 7-9.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
You need to be in the upper 4% of candidates.

Bluntly, we don't know how many marks will be required, it depends on how people cope with the new papers.
Reply 4

You're dreaming. A 9 is equivalent to an A**. You should focus on a 7/8, as I doubt that a 9 would be likely.
Original post by Aklaol
You're dreaming. A 9 is equivalent to an A**. You should focus on a 7/8, as I doubt that a 9 would be likely.

You say that without having seen the OP's mathematical ability? As per one of their previous threads, they got an A* on the old spec, so a 9 is pretty possible.
Reply 6
Original post by _gcx
You say that without having seen the OP's mathematical ability? As per one of their previous threads, they got an A* on the old spec, so a 9 is pretty possible.

I'd advise you to think carefully before making such a ignorant comment. Go and learn the depths of the new 9-1 system, and the content involved. A 9 is almost impossible, an A* in normal GCSE was brainless and easy.
Reply 7
Original post by Aklaol
I'd advise you to think carefully before making such a ignorant comment. Go and learn the depths of the new 9-1 system, and the content involved. A 9 is almost impossible, an A* in normal GCSE was brainless and easy.

So you think I should lower my goal? D you think it will be impossible for me to achieve a 9?
Reply 8
So you think I should lower my goal? D you think it will be impossible for me to achieve a 9?

I want to be honest with you. Sadly a lot of members on TSR are ignorant when it comes to the new 9-1 system. A 9 is very, very unlikely to get. Even my friend who got an A* in IGCSE Maths, an A* in L2 Further Maths, and an A in FMSQ said that he wouldn't be able to get a 9. A 9 is honestly a ridiculous grade, I'd definitely say aim for an 8. You may have a very slim chance to get a 9, but don't be disappointed if it's not possible.

No! Aim for as high as possible. Yes it is very difficult, but me, an AS Mathematics student would probably be able to achieve a 9 at GCSE, it just depends how much you know.
Reply 10
Original post by liquidconfidence
No! Aim for as high as possible. Yes it is very difficult, but me, an AS Mathematics student would probably be able to achieve a 9 at GCSE, it just depends how much you know.

Do you have any revision resources in mind you could share with me pls?

whats a 9, is that equiv to a* or an E
Reply 12
Do you have any revision resources in mind you could share with me pls?

OP, you can aim for a 9, but I'm literally going to be the only one here who is going to give you facts about the new spec. Everyone else here thinks that a 9 is like an A* at GCSE. A* at GCSE was extremely easy to obtain, unlike a 9. Good luck.
Reply 13
Original post by Light Venom

A**
Reply 14

Equiv to a high A* (or as people like to call it A**).
Reply 15
Original post by Aklaol
OP, you can aim for a 9, but I'm literally going to be the only one here who is going to give you facts about the new spec. Everyone else here thinks that a 9 is like an A* at GCSE. A* at GCSE was extremely easy to obtain, unlike a 9. Good luck.

A 9 is seriously not that hard, its probably going to be around the 92% mark
Original post by Aklaol
Equiv to a high A* (or as people like to call it A**).

I got 200/200 in my maths gcse and that was an a*, i shoulda got a** for full marks. GRRRRRRR. 9 seem a low number, 1 should be a********.
Reply 17
Original post by MrIso
A 9 is seriously not that hard, its probably going to be around the 92% mark

I'd love to see you get one. It's not the fact that it's around the 92% mark, it's the fact that the new spec is far harder also.
Reply 18
I got 200/200 in my maths gcse and that was an a*, i shoulda got a** for full marks. GRRRRRRR. 9 seem a low number, 1 should be a********.

Maths GCSE was extremely easy compared to the new 9-1 spec.

Edit: Exam questions taken out from the FOUNDATION tier 9-1 spec.
http://www.mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/maths-new-gcse-samples-a.pdf
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Aklaol
I'd love to see you get one. It's not the fact that it's around the 92% mark, it's the fact that the new spec is far harder also.

You can watch this space come results day, and i,ve already completed the spec, it wasn't as hard as its made to seem

Quick Reply

Latest