The Student Room Group

I'm in ketosis, AMA.

In ketosis to reduce body fat, if u wanna know anything about the diet lemme know
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ApplyYourself
In ketosis to reduce body fat, if u wanna know anything about the diet lemme know

hey, :smile:
is ketosis this diet where you get most of your calories from high quality fats and has hardky any sugar or carbs?
Original post by elenaxxx
hey, :smile:
is ketosis this diet where you get most of your calories from high quality fats and has hardky any sugar or carbs?

Hi yeah pretty much, there are different variations of the diet but a typical keto diet would be a fat/protein/carb percentage split of around 65/30/5, a lot of people I know eat at maintenance and lose weight I personally don't count Cals and am losing weight consistently
Reply 3
Original post by ApplyYourself
Hi yeah pretty much, there are different variations of the diet but a typical keto diet would be a fat/protein/carb percentage split of around 65/30/5, a lot of people I know eat at maintenance and lose weight I personally don't count Cals and am losing weight consistently

is this just a short term diet or is it healthy in the long run?
i was wondering if it's healthy to eat that much fat? like doesn't consumming oils cause heart disease?
Original post by elenaxxx
is this just a short term diet or is it healthy in the long run?
i was wondering if it's healthy to eat that much fat? like doesn't consumming oils cause heart disease?

I'm doing it long term but it depends on the person if they wish to do long term or short, there's a link to a paper below which shows that the effects on cholesterol etc were positive. The study was on obese patients which I'm not but most people who are not obese experience similar results.

From the paper, page 6:

RESULTS:
"The weight and body mass index of the patients decreased significantly (P<0.0001). The level of total cholesterol decreased from week 1 to week 24. HDL cholesterol levels significantly increased, whereas LDL cholesterol levels significantly decreased after treatment. The level of triglycerides decreased significantly following 24 weeks of treatment. The level of blood glucose significantly decreased. The changes in the level of urea and creatinine were not statistically significant."

If you're considering the diet id recommend the following books:

1) The art of low carb living, Dr Volek
2) Real meal revolution, Professor Tim Noakes

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/
Are you combining it with intermittent fasting for that perfect fat loss program?
Original post by kekophobia
Are you combining it with intermittent fasting for that perfect fat loss program?

1) This thread is over a year old. OP doesn't even post here anymore from what I've seen.
2) There is no "perfect" fat loss program. Intermittent fasting does not result in faster fat loss when compared to a standard deficit when calories are equal. It merely makes it easier to limit how much you eat when you only eat within a small window of time. Ketogenic diets are also not proven to be superior for fat loss to a standard caloric deficit when calories are equal. Also, if being in ketosis really was the thing causing fat loss, why would the timing of your fats and proteins even be relevant, i.e. why would IF even be beneficial when on a keto diet?

Quick Reply

Latest