The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE 2017 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Fbiemad
For LSE, they give them until Easter Holidays. It will be a very long wait, so honestly just wait and dont stress too much (it will be very hard).
They will send emails of something along the lines:
2 week email
8 week email
4 week email
something along these lines...
(Each email said that they will update you in that amount of time, but it doesnt mean you will get a decision by the end of the first 2 weeks)

The wait will be shorter for those who apply late, since LSE aims to give out all offers until an internal deadline they set.
Also, its not a fact, but usually some days they send out the rejections and some days offers.

Note: many early applicants got an offer or rejection on the last week before their internal deadline, thats why I said the wait will be shorter for people who apply later, since they will be applying closer to the deadline anyways.

Thank you for the comprehensive answer, but the reason I asked is because I've seen that the policy for applications is different from uni to uni. Do you know if LSE is giving immediate offers or waiting until the JAN UCAS deadline to read them all?

Original post by Danllo
I'm currently taking a 2ND GAP YEAR and my current grades are A*BB in Mathematics, Economics and Chemistry. I am retaking Economics and Chemistry and I'm predicted A*A*A* in Maths, Economics and Chemistry. I am planning to apply for the LSE Management course (AAA) and I have 9 As and 2Bs at GCSE. What are my chances of getting in ? I am trying to produce the best personal statement I can as I really want to get onto the course. When I first got my A-level results (August 2015) I got BCC in Econ, Maths and Chem respectively and this year (August 2016) I got A*BB as mentioned above. Now that I'm taking a 2ND GAP YEAR, I am doing work placements at KPMG and PwC to enhance my application plus a part time job. WHAT ARE MY CHANCES FOR THIS COURSE ? PLEASE can someone advise me and what are best things to include in my personal statement for LSE Management ???My other four choices are;UCL - Management ScienceUCL - Statistics and Management for BusinessUCL - Statistics, Economics ans FinanceKCL - Economics and Managementbut LSE Management is my top choice. Please can I have some advice, thanks,

Why are you applying to some many combined courses? I only applied to degrees in Accounting and Finance / Finance and even though it's only 2 subjects, it's been pretty hard to write a PS.
(edited 7 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Lanthum
Thank you for the comprehensive answer, but the reason I asked is because I've seen that the policy for applications is different from uni to uni. Do you know if LSE is giving immediate offers or waiting until the JAN UCAS deadline to read them all?

You already sent in your application?
Reply 62
Original post by mathcon
You already sent in your application?

No, but i will next week. I'm just waiting on someone to check my UCAS application profile and make sure I completed it the right way (I'm not from the UK and the education system here is different, so it was quite confusing to fill in the application).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lanthum
No, but i will next week. I'm just waiting on someone to check my UCAS application profile and make sure I completed it the right way (I'm not from the UK and the education system here is different, so it was quite confusing to complete the application).

Oh, nice, getting an early head-start. Are you happy with your personal statement?
Reply 64
Original post by mathcon
Oh, nice, getting an early head-start. Are you happy with your personal statement?

I'm extremely happy with the finished product,but it took a lot of time and effort.
I actually started writing my PS in early August, but only some ideas and small sentences, then 2 weeks ago I started developing them into real paragraphs and finished everything last night (yes, it took me 2 weeks because I kept on rephrasing and changing words to make it better).
Original post by Lanthum
I'm extremely happy with the finished product,but it took a lot of time and effort.
I actually started writing my PS in early August, but only some ideas and small sentences, then 2 weeks ago I started developing them into real paragraphs and finished everything last night (yes, it took me 2 weeks because I kept on rephrasing and changing words to make it better).

Yeah, takes a lot of time. Took me three times before I could send my first draft. Do you have a teacher or someone to look it over? It can be really helpful to get another person's opinion.
Reply 66
Original post by mathcon
Yeah, takes a lot of time. Took me three times before I could send my first draft. Do you have a teacher or someone to look it over? It can be really helpful to get another person's opinion.

Had my english teacher check for spelling mistakes, but other than that no.
How much does LSE care about your personal statement for economics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Christie_xx
How much does LSE care about your personal statement for economics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot.
Amazing PS can make up for slightly lower grades.
Original post by Fbiemad
A lot.
Amazing PS can make up for slightly lower grades.

What makes a personal statement amazing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I'm thinking of applying to LSE and my grades are okay. But I'm quite curious about what student life is like there - I think I'd like to meet with loads of people from other subjects and feel I'd be deprived of the opportunity to do so there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Applying to LSE for econ*
Original post by JohnGreek
You won't necessarily end up making friends with people from the same course as you, but rather from your halls/societies. That leaves a lot of room for interaction with people doing other courses, even though they may not be as different to yours as they would be in a university with more faculties. For example, you might end up being friends with people doing A&F or Finance rather than English Literature or Medicine.

But all those doing such degrees are likely to be headed to the same sector, and other such things - whereas I'd love to just have some downtime with other people - like medics or eng lit people - would I be able to make friends with others in the University in London?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trapz99
I decided that it's time for a thread for everyone applying to LSE for entry in 2017. That includes current Year 12 students like me and others who are applying for various reasons.

Feel free to say what course you're applying to and why, as well as your GCSEs, predicted A Level grades, extracurriculars or anything else you want to write about!
Also, if there is already a thread like this can you tell me, i couldn't find anything so I made this.

Hey
I'm applying for Economics at LSE
I got 6.5 A stars and 5 As for GCSE
I'm taking Further Maths, Maths, English and Economics for A level.
What are my chances ( if any) and what can I do to improve them?
Also does LSE look at contextual data for GCSE?
Original post by JohnGreek
Depends on if you join any University of London societies, and on how good they are (I've heard that the choral society that practises in KCL is quite good, but don't know about the rest). To be honest, there are going to be humanities' students there (doing History, Geography, Govt & Politics, Philosophy, Sociology etc), so it's just a matter of trying to be friends with them.

That is an exceptional point, thank you for letting me know! Significantly changed my mind about applying! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AngelaisAwesome
Hey
I'm applying for Economics at LSE
I got 6.5 A stars and 5 As for GCSE
I'm taking Further Maths, Maths, English and Economics for A level.
What are my chances ( if any) and what can I do to improve them?
Also does LSE look at contextual data for GCSE?

What do you mean by contextual data? I went to the admissions office and they said they do take into account extenuating circ and the like :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gmahapatra
What do you mean by contextual data? I went to the admissions office and they said they do take into account extenuating circ and the like :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What AS levels have you taken or studied? What A2 subjects are you taking this year?

Have you done the AS exams for all subjects? (I know people have to take the Maths and Further Maths modules, but what about other subjects?)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fbiemad
What AS levels have you taken or studied? What A2 subjects are you taking this year?

Have you done the AS exams for all subjects? (I know people have to take the Maths and Further Maths modules, but what about other subjects?)

Hey man,
I've done AS maths, physics and econ
I also did my A2 maths last year :smile:
Done all exams :smile:
I'm going to do A2 further maths, physics, economics, and an EPQ related to economics!
How about you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gmahapatra
Hey man,
I've done AS maths, physics and econ
I also did my A2 maths last year :smile:
Done all exams :smile:
I'm going to do A2 further maths, physics, economics, and an EPQ related to economics!
How about you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is good.
oh, so you did full A-Level Maths in first year and full Further Maths in second year? or have you already done AS Further Maths?

I have done A-Level Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics and Persian.

I am a bit confused, so I heard the new AS doesnt count towards A-Level (except Mathematical modules), so have most current students applying done AS Physics and AS Economics exams?
Original post by Fbiemad
That is good.
oh, so you did full A-Level Maths in first year and full Further Maths in second year? or have you already done AS Further Maths?

I have done A-Level Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics and Persian.

I am a bit confused, so I heard the new AS doesnt count towards A-Level (except Mathematical modules), so have most current students applying done AS Physics and AS Economics exams?

Very good! How were your grades bro? Are you considering applying to LSE or are you headed there?
So yeah, we do a level and as maths first year and then a level and as further maths second year :smile: and most students have done AS physics and econ, which are now standalone qualifications that don't contribute to A2 at all - so they can stand on them for uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending