The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Do you get lecture notes? or textbooks? how does everyone revise and go over topics?
Original post by RThornton
Do you get lecture notes? or textbooks? how does everyone revise and go over topics?

Depends on the course. Most use lecture notes though. Most people also take their own notes, even if lecture notes are available. Use those + past papers + revision supervisions to revise.

Some lecturers hand out lecture notes.Textbook, very rarely.
It'd all depend on courses/papers and individual lecturer, though.

check this site, it's full of really good info and link to page you can ask current students & facebook/twitter page for each course, also run by current students and the department.

https://www.applytocambridge.com/

And this.
http://www.freshers.cusu.co.uk/studying/
(edited 7 years ago)

Just to add.....

Your JCR will try to match you with college parents who are in the best (as they can) position to support you, so one of them is likely to be on the same or a similar course to yours.
So you can ask them these questions, too, when you meet them....or if they have already contacted you, you can ask them now. That's they're there for. :smile:
Original post by vincrows

She has a little baby brother.:smile:
Way too young to be annoying.......yet. :tongue:

Aww, I thought he was going to be an annoying teenage brother she might claim to be glad to leave.

She's going to have to fire up Skype often, and maybe she will be lucky enough to get a visit.
Reply 1525
Original post by ccfctom
I'm trying to look up how to structure essays in written exams at Cambridge. Every resource I find seems to be for typed essays that say you should include a bibliography, references, thesis, etc. As far as I know, for my subject (Land economy) we just do written timed exams.

Do you still need to include this type of stuff for even written exams? Or are they like A-level essays where you just have an introduction, arguments and conclusion?

Don't panic yourself, term hasn't even started yet.

In my undergraduate written exams (not Cambridge) I was required to cite references in the text, and only the author(s) surname and date of publication was required. No bibliography was required.

Although you may only be assessed/graded on written timed exams, I'm certain you will have plenty of essay assignments to complete, and in those you will obviously need to format properly with citation and bibliography.
Original post by 16Characters....
Google want to hire you.

Is it a post in New York? Because I'd go there in a blink

Sincere or sarcastic?

Sincere :tongue:
he's a baby
Original post by Zacken
Ahhh, I'm sure he'll miss you too! And Skype's a thing! Cambridge term's are short anywho, and they'll go by so fast 'cause of all the fun and work so you'll be seeing him before you even know it :woo:

Yeah :redface: Don't think I'll be skyping him on the first few days tho because I might just cry

what even...? :lol:
Original post by vincrows
Was thinking of asking you how your little brother's doing. :smile:
Is he toddling around now? How does he call you?

He's slowly learning to crawl now, even though his size is such that he looks like he could walk!

He doesn't call me anything yet, though he does say 'eeeeee' as in 'carry me and take me outside' :colonhash:
Aww, I thought he was going to be an annoying teenage brother she might claim to be glad to leave.

She's going to have to fire up Skype often, and maybe she will be lucky enough to get a visit.

Don't worry, I'm glad to be leaving my sister :lol:
Original post by Serine Soul
Is it a post in New York? Because I'd go there in a blink

Presumably in Dublin to save some tax.

Don't worry, I'm glad to be leaving my sister :lol:

My sister went to uni before me, so I am used to not seeing her. The dog on the other hand...
Presumably in Dublin to save some tax.

:ninja:

My sister went to uni before me, so I am used to not seeing her. The dog on the other hand...
They fall sick when they start missing you :frown:
Original post by Serine Soul

They fall sick when they start missing you :frown:

Aww I hope not :frown:. We are her 4th known home. I am not sure if that makes it better or worse.

Hello
Reply 1532
Is the Casio FX-991ES PLUS calculator suitable for natural sciences? I want to buy one off amazon now because it's cheaper than buying a calculator when I arrive.
Original post by 12284
Is the Casio FX-991ES PLUS calculator suitable for natural sciences? I want to buy one off amazon now because it's cheaper than buying a calculator when I arrive.

For Natural Sciences Tripos examinations Parts IA, IB, II and III (where a calculator is allowed), you will be permitted to use only the standard University calculators CASIO fx 115 (any version) or CASIO fx 991 (any version). Each such calculator must be marked in the approved fashion.

Standard University calculators, marked in the approved fashion, will be on sale at the beginning of Full Michaelmas Term 2016 at £11-17 each from the Department of Chemistry, Part IA laboratory preparation room, or from the Main Stores in the Bragg Building at the Cavendish for £19.50.

You are strongly advised to purchase a calculator at the beginning of term.

Students already possessing a CASIO fx 115 (any version), CASIO fx 570 (any version), or CASIO fx 991 (any version) will be able to have it marked appropriately, at no cost, in the Department of Chemistry, Part IA laboratory.

so yes
Reply 1534
Original post by 12284

Yeah you will just have to go to the chem dept to get a sticker put on it.
Anyone else got a gown yet? I got mine free off my mum's colleague's son. Sadly it doesn't look as impressive as I expected, because I'm quite tall so it looks quite short (doesn't even cover my knees).
Reply 1536
Original post by sweeneyrod
Anyone else got a gown yet? I got mine free off my mum's colleague's son. Sadly it doesn't look as impressive as I expected, because I'm quite tall so it looks quite short (doesn't even cover my knees).

Undergraduate gowns aren't usually very long.

That's lucky they were at the same college!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It only comes a bit below knees for average height person.
It's not like Harry potter's robes. :wink:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/08/29/article-0-0B8B691100000578-146_634x423.jpg

Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

Let's hope it really is........:tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed it is! (And that gowns only come in one size apparently).

Quick Reply

Latest