The Student Room Group
Original post by cheerupgrrl5:)
Hey guys!
On my account it says that I may still be eligible for a 16+ card but, I am starting university in a couple of weeks in london.
Which one do I apply for? Is it new to apply for the 16+ now or do I just apply for the 18+ card?

18+ for university students. The 16+ card is available to those aged 18 who are still in further education (e.g. 6th form), I got another one when I retook my A-Levels.
16+
Original post by jelly1000
18+ for university students. The 16+ card is available to those aged 18 who are still in further education (e.g. 6th form), I got another one when I retook my A-Levels.

ohh i see
Original post by jelly1000

ok thank you!
Hi. If you are 18, you can apply for the 16+. If you are 19 however, you have to get 18+. I had the 16+ oyster throughout my first year at uni in London, which was great as I got free buses and cheaper tubes. Don't waste money getting the 18+ now!

You need to get the 18+ if you are 19 before August 30th 2017. Hope this helps
Id like to add university is still considered full-time education, so those saying you have to get 18+ if you are going to uni are incorrect. All of the first years who were 18 when starting the course Im in were able to get 16+
Original post by Natashadesigner
Id like to add university is still considered full-time education, so those saying you have to get 18+ if you are going to uni are incorrect. All of the first years who were 18 when starting the course Im in were able to get 16+

It says for the school/college stamp, won't the uniiversity be like waaat?
How would they agree?
Original post by cheerupgrrl5:)
It says for the school/college stamp, won't the uniiversity be like waaat?
How would they agree?

The universities have stamps too..When you get an 18+ I'm pretty sure the universities have to stamp that one as well! The only requirements for the 16+ is that u are in full time education and are 18 when you start the course.
I remember both years, I had to take my forms to the desk and get them to stamp it for me
Original post by Natashadesigner
Hi. If you are 18, you can apply for the 16+. If you are 19 however, you have to get 18+. I had the 16+ oyster throughout my first year at uni in London, which was great as I got free buses and cheaper tubes. Don't waste money getting the 18+ now!

You need to get the 18+ if you are 19 before August 30th 2017. Hope this helps

How do you apply for the 16+? I dont live in London anymore, but I attend a sixth form in London. I'm also 18 and I made the account but it says i have to be 17 years and 11 month to collect the card. I called TFL helpline but they are all giving me different answers. I need help???
Original post by BigMan Ting
How do you apply for the 16+? I dont live in London anymore, but I attend a sixth form in London. I'm also 18 and I made the account but it says i have to be 17 years and 11 month to collect the card. I called TFL helpline but they are all giving me different answers. I need help???

Im not sure about the age thing as you are definitely eligible as you are 18! Im on the site now and it says clearly that 18 year olds are able to make the account for themselves. If i were you I would start over and make a fresh account and see if it works?
Reply 12
sidnenote: - i think the 18+ oyster card only gives you discounts when you get weekly, monthly or annual travel cards
if you 'pay as you travel' then you pay the adult rate i believe
Original post by z33
sidnenote: - i think the 18+ oyster card only gives you discounts when you get weekly, monthly or annual travel cards
if you 'pay as you travel' then you pay the adult rate i believe

Yeah thats right. Unless you have a railcard, you can link them and then you get 30% on off-peak travel. Otherwise its full adult rates or a slight discount on travel cards. I think its a pretty crap deal. :frown:
Original post by BigMan Ting

Hi! Did you ever manage to get this photo card? I’m in the exact same situation on the TfL website saying I need to be 17 years and 11 months and it’s driving me round in circles, or did you just get the 18+ one?
OMG. Same!
Reply 16
I agree Natasha, we didn't look at the small print when we applied for my son. He's in full-time education at college and doesn't have a job. Why on earth provide a card that you don't get discount on PAYG on it. He's only at college 3 days a week, so to buy a weekly/monthly pass, means we pay out far more money.It's a con and not fair on students who have no work and the parents too. Also why in one part of the government rules they say he's child and I get child benefit, as he's in full-time education, yet with TFL, he's classed as an adult.Another benefit from Sadiq Khan's London :frown:

Latest