yer maw sells cooncil
Reply 42
Original post by Asklepios
yer maw sells cooncil

Yer maw sells the big issue

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hahahhahahahahahahah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone. Hope you are all enjoying the course so far...Just wondering if anyone can answer my question about the project- do you have to keep some sort of log book and if so, does it just contain exactly what you did and the date you did it? Thanks
Sorry no idea Labrador^

But some great bants in the AH Bio thread clearly as it seems haha
Original post by Labrador99
Hi everyone. Hope you are all enjoying the course so far...Just wondering if anyone can answer my question about the project- do you have to keep some sort of log book and if so, does it just contain exactly what you did and the date you did it? Thanks

Yes we have a log book. i dont use it though i have a separate notebook entirely for my investigation.

Original post by sameehaiqbal
Yes we have a log book. i dont use it though i have a separate notebook entirely for my investigation.

Yes you should keep a lab journal. There should be an entry for each experiment you do or reagent you prepare, and this should include: a title, a date, aim/purpose, methods/protocol, results. You can also use it to log your background reading or other through, but that's not essential. Overall, an entry should look something like this:

image.gif

You might think that this is completely pointless, but it's good to have all your results and methods written down when it comes to writing your report. Also if you have written down each step as you do it, you can easily troubleshoot if something goes wrong.

This is also good practice, as if you ever undertake a research project in a university lab, then you will need to keep a lab book for disputes over intellectual property and scientific fraud. If you've written it down, then legally, you've done it.

Also probably doesn't matter for this, but you shouldn't use your own notebook, but one the school provides, and it shouldn't really ever leave the lab.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by .......Jeff458
Sorry no idea Labrador^But some great bants in the AH Bio thread clearly as it seems haha
Haha- it's much more busy than the chemistry one! Thanks anyway, hope you're enjoying the course so far :smile:
Yes you should keep a lab journal. There should be an entry for each experiment you do or reagent you prepare, and this should include: a title, a date, aim/purpose, methods/protocol, results. You can also use it to log your background reading or other through, but that's not essential. Overall, an entry should look something like this:image.gifYou might think that this is completely pointless, but it's good to have all your results and methods written down when it comes to writing your report. Also if you have written down each step as you do it, you can easily troubleshoot if something goes wrong. This is also good practice, as if you ever undertake a research project in a university lab, then you will need to keep a lab book for disputes over intellectual property and scientific fraud. If you've written it down, then legally, you've done it.Also probably doesn't matter for this, but you shouldn't use your own notebook, but one the school provides, and it shouldn't really ever leave the lab.
Thank you Asklepios, this was very helpful :smile:
Haha- it's much more busy than the chemistry one! Thanks anyway, hope you're enjoying the course so far :smile:Thanks :smile:Thank you Asklepios, this was very helpful :smile:

Course isn't bad, interesting but so much to learn. I am falling behind badly because I am focusing on UKCAT which is just a stupid test :'( made to make annoyed!

Will start cramming in October hopefully. Considering that my UKCAT will be good enough and won't need a BMAT!
Yes you should keep a lab journal. There should be an entry for each experiment you do or reagent you prepare, and this should include: a title, a date, aim/purpose, methods/protocol, results. You can also use it to log your background reading or other through, but that's not essential. Overall, an entry should look something like this:

image.gif

You might think that this is completely pointless, but it's good to have all your results and methods written down when it comes to writing your report. Also if you have written down each step as you do it, you can easily troubleshoot if something goes wrong.

This is also good practice, as if you ever undertake a research project in a university lab, then you will need to keep a lab book for disputes over intellectual property and scientific fraud. If you've written it down, then legally, you've done it.

Also probably doesn't matter for this, but you shouldn't use your own notebook, but one the school provides, and it shouldn't really ever leave the lab.

The logbook my school gave is far too small and doesnt have enough space so I use my own notebook and leave it with the teacher. Thanks for the advice.
The logbook my school gave is far too small and doesnt have enough space so I use my own notebook and leave it with the teacher. Thanks for the advice.

They aren't that strict with it, so as long as you write the date, what you did on the day (such as what research you did for underlying bio, what procedures you carried out, what procedures you are planning etc etc) it should be fine.

It also needs a contents page iirc, so it is easier to do an electronic daybook using word, which is allowed.
Started my investigation today. Whats everyone else doing?

I'm investigating shrimp. I thought this would be more interesting than protein or something. Basically I'm raising shrimp. :biggrin: Haha, what are you doing yours on? And I have no idea what everyone is talking about in regards to logbooks... S =o far I've got an equipment list, procedure and risk assessment. I haven't actually started anything yet - still need to purchase shrimp etc.
Original post by Nuba123
I'm investigating shrimp. I thought this would be more interesting than protein or something. Basically I'm raising shrimp. :biggrin: Haha, what are you doing yours on? And I have no idea what everyone is talking about in regards to logbooks... S =o far I've got an equipment list, procedure and risk assessment. I haven't actually started anything yet - still need to purchase shrimp etc.

I'm doing it on the effect of ripeness in catechol oxidase content in apples :smile:
I'm doing mine on the effect of acid rain on plant growth! Not very interesting 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nuba123
Original post by Rachelmcl13
I'm doing mine on the effect of acid rain on plant growth! Not very interesting 😂Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all. I'm not sure whether or not you know, but the word count this year is to be 3000-3600 for AH bio projects (if you are more than 10% over, you get a 3 mark deduction). I think it was 3000 last year, so just wanted to make sure everyone knows about this change :smile: PS This information, more and full detailed marking instructions can be found at http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/48458.html under the heading 'Coursework Information'.
Hi all. I'm not sure whether or not you know, but the word count this year is to be 3000-3600 for AH bio projects (if you are more than 10% over, you get a 3 mark deduction). I think it was 3000 last year, so just wanted to make sure everyone knows about this change :smile: PS This information, more and full detailed marking instructions can be found at http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/48458.html under the heading 'Coursework Information'.

Oh ****. lol.

No idea how I'm going to manage that but we'll have to see! :biggrin:
Original post by Nuba123
Oh ****. lol. No idea how I'm going to manage that but we'll have to see! :biggrin:
I think I will struggle in being concise to be honest! There are also some parts of the report (e.g. tables, references) that are not counted in the word count, so check on that document to get the full list! Just checked physics and chemistry, if you're doing either of those, and they have both changed too, but they are now 2500-4500 words (compared to 3000 last year).
I think I will struggle in being concise to be honest! There are also some parts of the report (e.g. tables, references) that are not counted in the word count, so check on that document to get the full list! Just checked physics and chemistry, if you're doing either of those, and they have both changed too, but they are now 2500-4500 words (compared to 3000 last year).

Yeah, I do AH chemistry as well. So will have to check both documents. Thanks for letting me know!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending