The Student Room Group

Trig Proof help needed

Tried different substitutions but im assuming i've done them incorrectly so just need some guidance on the most appropriate one to use.
Reply 1
Original post by GGHarambe
Tried different substitutions but im assuming i've done them incorrectly so just need some guidance on the most appropriate one to use.

use double angle formulas. Post what you've tried. Specifically: cos2A=12sin2A\cos 2A = 1 - 2\sin^2 A and [tex]\sin 2A = 2\sin A\cos A/tex].

Final answer is not a double angle, so the first step is to use double angle formulae for sine and cosine then manipulate it from there.

You know that tan A = sin A / cos A so that tells you to use the version of cos 2A that has just sin A in it (and be careful with the signs when you remove the brackets).
Reply 4
[QUOTE="Zacken;67621460"]use double angle formulas. Post what you've tried. Specifically: cos2A=12sin2A\cos 2A = 1 - 2\sin^2 A and sin2A=2sinAcosA/tex].\sin 2A = 2\sin A\cos A/tex].

1-(1-2sin^2)/sin 2A

-2Sin^2/Sin 2A

-2sin^2/SIN A Cos A + Sin A Cos A
1-(1-2sin^2)/sin 2A

-2Sin^2/Sin 2A

You expanded wrong, 1(12sin2(A))2sin2(A)1-(1-2\sin^2(A)) \not= -2\sin^2(A). Check it again.

Denominator looks good.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by RDKGames
You expanded wrong, it should be +sin2(A)+\sin^2(A). Check it again.

:mad: Thanks
Reply 7
You expanded wrong, 1(12sin2(A))2sin2(A)1-(1-2\sin^2(A)) \not= -2\sin^2(A). Check it again.

Denominator looks good.

How come it's not 2Sin^2 ?
How come it's not 2Sin^2 ?

Huh?
Reply 9
Huh?

originally you put +Sin^2 and i'm where has the 2 in front gone
originally you put +Sin^2 and i'm where has the 2 in front gone

Simple error that I fixed and you came back too quickly for.
Reply 11
Simple error that I fixed and you came back too quickly for.

Oh okay my bad. Thought I was going insane.
1-(1-2sin^2)/sin 2A

-2Sin^2/Sin 2A

I did say be careful with the signs when you remove the brackets!

Quick Reply

Latest