The Student Room Group

Careers with maths degrees?

Maths graduates or if you are currently studying what do you want to be?

What are the best jobs with maths degrees, which require one or is linked to it?

Like maths but only want to do it if theres a clear career path.
Original post by Coolme12345
Maths graduates or if you are currently studying what do you want to be?

What are the best jobs with maths degrees, which require one or is linked to it?

Like maths but only want to do it if theres a clear career path.

There is no clear career path, like there isn't with most academic/nonprofessional degrees lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/mathematics

Provided you get a 2:1 or above, you'd be pretty sorted.
Reply 3
Original post by DarkEnergy
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/mathematics

Provided you get a 2:1 or above, you'd be pretty sorted.

Definitely not true. A degree gets you through the door at an interview. That's all.
Original post by mik1a
Definitely not true. A degree gets you through the door at an interview. That's all.

Yes obviously, but that can be said for nearly every degree. I just meant sorted in the way that maths graduates can do quite a lot of different careers.
Yes obviously, but that can be said for nearly every degree. I just meant sorted in the way that maths graduates can do quite a lot of different careers.

Which goes for any undergraduate student tbf.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Which goes for any undergraduate student tbf.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's true but a maths degree probably opens a lot more doors than an arts/hums degree (no offence to anyone doing an arts/hums degree).
That's true but a maths degree probably opens a lot more doors than an arts/hums degree (no offence to anyone doing an arts/hums degree).

well, 70-80% of grad jobs are already open to pretty much any degree holder. so 'a lot' more is not really apt, as it were.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths degrees are overrated - a large number of Maths students think that just because they are studying a well respected subject they will be able to waltz into the grad job of their choice after graduation, and completely neglect other opportunities such as work experience and internships. This then leads to them not even being able to find a minimum wage job.
Reply 9
Original post by #ChaosKass
A large number of Maths students [...] This then leads to them not even being able to find a minimum wage job.

Source?
Original post by Zacken
Source?

I graduated with a Maths degree a couple of years ago and many of the people who graduated with me are still struggling to find work due to lack of experience.

Quick Reply

Latest