The Student Room Group

School wants me to do maths gcse again even though i got an A*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Mr M
I'm afraid you have to do it. The only maths qualification that counts for school performance tables is the 9-1 GCSE. Your A* in GCSE maths is worth nothing to your school so you will damage their results if you don't do it. You might think "So what?" but there is a massive problem for you too. If you don't have grade 4 or above in the 9-1 GCSE next summer then you won't be allowed to take A Levels because this particular qualification is a requirement of Post-16 funding for every course.

So why were we forced to work hard for the A* this year if it doesn't count? I even failed some of my mocks just to get this one A* and not have to do it again
Reply 41
Original post by Clemm101
Statistics (or something) won't count either. It has to be the new Maths GCSE or AS - there is nothing else that will fill the 'Mathematics' section of Progress 8. If the school don't or won't teach AS it will have to be the new GCSE.

Ohhh that's why the year 10s and 11s in my school are doing S1/C1, might as well do an AS instead of the new GCSE
Original post by dannie.12
I wrote my maths GCSE in year 10 and got an A*. The school said if we are able to get an A* we dont have to do the harder one next year so I worked really hard to get an A* so that I could concentrate on other subjects. But now we were told we still have to do the new GCSE so that we have two maths GCSE qualifications which will 'look good on our CV'. Do you think I should still pay equal attention on the maths despite having done it already and got an A*?

Schools want people who get high scores to take as many exams as possible to boost their statistics. Don't listen to them, they can't force you to retake with the new specification.
So why were we forced to work hard for the A* this year if it doesn't count? I even failed some of my mocks just to get this one A* and not have to do it again

That is a question I would definitely be asking my school.
Reply 44
Original post by Shipreck
Schools want people who get high scores to take as many exams as possible to boost their statistics. Don't listen to them, they can't force you to retake with the new specification.

How do I get them not to let me do the new spec? I really dont want to do it cuz I do triple science and it is a lot of hard work. My parents advised that I miss school on the day of the exams but someone said I will get a U which will affect my UCAS application.
I wrote my maths GCSE in year 10 and got an A*. The school said if we are able to get an A* we dont have to do the harder one next year so I worked really hard to get an A* so that I could concentrate on other subjects. But now we were told we still have to do the new GCSE so that we have two maths GCSE qualifications which will 'look good on our CV'. Do you think I should still pay equal attention on the maths despite having done it already and got an A*?

I did the same thing. I've now got 2 maths GCSE. One was the Igcse and I received an A* but the school told me that I could choose to do the second one too and I decided to do it. So then I received an A.But overall my maths GCSE grade is an A* but I have 2 certificates / grades which will look good on your Cv and stuff 😊
Reply 46
Original post by nisha.sri
I did the same thing. I've now got 2 maths GCSE. One was the Igcse and I received an A* but the school told me that I could choose to do the second one too and I decided to do it. So then I received an A.But overall my maths GCSE grade is an A* but I have 2 certificates / grades which will look good on your Cv and stuff 😊

Was the second maths GCSE harder and a different spec to the first one? Did it require more effort and hard work compared to the first one?
Was the second maths GCSE harder and a different spec to the first one? Did it require more effort and hard work compared to the first one?

Well the first one was IGcse maths so it had different topics but most of them were similar. The second one was Edexcel GCSE. For the first one I literally did all the past papers from 2004 -2015 😌 For the second one I worked hard but my teachers told me that whatever grade I get in the second one would still be an A* so I didn't work as hard as the first one. Ask your teachers about it.
Dont do it. You got the A*. Be proud dont look back work on your other subjects:h:
A* in your GCSE's in year 10.
And i'm sitting here with 14 marks on my PPEs for maths.
kms.
Reply 50
Original post by nisha.sri
Well the first one was IGcse maths so it had different topics but most of them were similar. The second one was Edexcel GCSE. For the first one I literally did all the past papers from 2004 -2015 😌 For the second one I worked hard but my teachers told me that whatever grade I get in the second one would still be an A* so I didn't work as hard as the first one. Ask your teachers about it.

When did you start revising for the second one?
Reply 51
Original post by anisa2347
Dont do it. You got the A*. Be proud dont look back work on your other subjects:h:

It seems like I don't have a choice but to do it. Apparently, its up to the government and not the school and if I choose not to do it, it will affect my UCAS application
When did you start revising for the second one?

When i started revising for the rest f my subjects but I obviously prioritised the other subjects than the second maths. So I vaguely revised and like 1 month before the exam I revised hard but not as hard as for the first one. Once again ask your teachers about this whole thing and do what they say 😌
Ditch it 👍🏼
It seems like I don't have a choice but to do it. Apparently, its up to the government and not the school and if I choose not to do it, it will affect my UCAS application

If you want to study A-Levels you don't have a choice. However Maths is Maths - you already know it and are obviously very capable. You got an A* in year 10, have another (almost) year of lessons and will walk it without further revision. Your school messed up by entering you in year 10 and while it's annoying it'll work for you in the end. Sit the exams and even without much revision you'll get a good grade to add to your already excellent one.

This is purely for the school's benefit becuase schools have been told they can't count the 'old' GCSEs in their data next year. So in the school's data you will appear to have NO GCSE -

Get your parents to refuse - you don't need to do it again.

[This is why most schools didn't put Year 10s in for the GCSE - they were told about this]

I have absolutely no idea. Your effort won't be wasted though - it has put you in a good position to go on to secure a 9 this year.
Original post by Muttley79
This is purely for the school's benefit becuase schools have been told they can't count the 'old' GCSEs in their data next year. So in the school's data you will appear to have NO GCSE -

Get your parents to refuse - you don't need to do it again.

[This is why most schools didn't put Year 10s in for the GCSE - they were told about this]

You do realise only the 9-1 GCSE satisfies the Post 16 funding requirement? This is extremely poor advice.
Hi
Same situation here, having done the GCSE last year I'm repeating it but with the new course this year.
However, as far as my knowledge goes, it doesn't actually benefit the school if you do the exam again, as only the first grade counts for them. Therefore, I think what they mean about it 'looking good on your CV' is that if you can get a 9 next year, it will be regarded as a better grade. I've seen sixth-forms wanting point totals based on GCSE grades with A*s getting 8.5 points, and 9s getting, you guessed it, 9 points!

Essentially, if you think it's worth it to try and get a 9, then do the exam. If you've already done it and got an A*, there's not really that much more content to learn. Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest