The Student Room Group

Why do universities offer sport scholarships?

I can understand why US universities offer scholarships: doing so allows them to recruit athletes that bring in hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue. I cannot, however, figure out why UK universities do it.The only reason I can think of is to raise the profile of the university by having it associated with famous sportspeople (despite the fact that the most famous sportspeople did not attend university), or by making them attractive destinations for students interested in sports by having a lot of other good sportspeople there (but why would you choose a university based on sport rather than academia - unless the universities are neck and neck).Can someone spread some light on this for me, please?
Why do some universities offer organ scholarships? It's a glorified piano.
Because it will attract some people who would have otherwise gone to better universities.
Original post by Uncle Tom #2
The only reason I can think of is to raise the profile of the university by having it associated with famous sportspeople (despite the fact that the most famous sportspeople did not attend university)

Well, take a look at the number of GB Olympians who attended university in the UK, specially the medallists. You might be surprised.

Quick Reply

Latest