The Student Room Group

Lesbian muslim – my parents want me to marry my cousin....

I've been debating in my head if I should make this thread...but no-one knows me on here so it's ok.
They're not actually forcing me but they are applying some pressure. My younger sibling went through my phone when I was sleeping (I think she saw me type my password once so) and she found some stuff and took my phone to my parents. I went downstairs and there was a big fuss. This was 2 weeks ago. Now my parents want me to marry my cousin...he's successful but I don't wanna marry him bc that's disgusting. He's so fat and ugly and he's also a guy. If I don't marry him they'll cut me out of the will and will also stop paying my uni fees. I live with them and so I depend on them a lot. I don't know what to do!! I love my family I don't want to leave.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aishaluvsmuhamed
I've been debating in my head if I should make this thread...but no-one knows me on here so it's ok.
They're not actually forcing me but they are applying some pressure. My younger sibling went through my phone when I was sleeping (I think she saw me type my password once so) and she found some stuff and took my phone to my parents. I went downstairs and there was a big fuss. This was 2 weeks ago. Now my parents want me to marry my cousin...he's successful but I don't wanna marry him bc that's disgusting. He's so fat and ugly and he's also a guy. If I don't marry him they'll cut me out of the will and will also stop paying my uni fees. I live with them and so I depend on them a lot. I don't know what to do!! I love my family I don't want to leave.

When you leave them you'll get your student finance loans.

Don't marry your family, that's disgusting and that's how children are born with deformities.
Don't marry a man...
Original post by KyleH123
that's disgusting

in your opinion
Reply 4
This is just depressing to read.

Perhaps it's time to break free from that religion and live the life you want to. You'll get funded through student finance, but if your family are pressuring into marrying your cousin and to go against your sexuality, that's a no go.
Original post by EricPiphany
in your opinion

so you wouldn't mind marrying your own cousin ?
Original post by happiness12
so you wouldn't mind marrying your own cousin ?

If she was sexy
There's got to be someone at your uni you can talk to about this, just tell them as much as they need to know. I know for sure they will take this seriously and try to get your funding in safe waters.

I suppose you'll also have to emotionally distance yourself from them too, as in not depending on them and learning to take care of yourself as much as you can.
If she was sexy

ahahah nice
nope nopity nope cousin marriage ****s up ur kids
Original post by happiness12
ahahah nice

I know...
Deary me. But yeah if my parents wanted me to marry my cousin I would definitely turn lesbian
It's illegal in the UK to force you to marry someone. If they stop paying your uni fees then apply to student finance for the loan.
Reply 13
So explain how people whose parents aren't related end up with deformities? You do know queen Elizabeth is married to her cousin..Prince Philip? How come her offspring aren't 'deformed'?
Original post by 2Berry
So explain how people whose parents aren't related end up with deformities? You do know queen Elizabeth is married to her cousin..Prince Philip? How come her offspring aren't 'deformed'?

(edited 7 years ago)
If she was sexy

i know marriages between relatives are not the best thing in the world because they can have some terrible genetic consequences, but sometimes it baffles me that people are so disgusted by them

i mean if we would've been born a couple centuries ago, it would've all been all right. there are ppl who barely know their cousins, so it'd be like meeting a stranger

*let's just hope you weren't being ironic when you answered this=))*

as for OP, she's in a real' awful situation... it's not so easy to cut contact with your family, especially when you're attached to them
Reply 16

I don't see why you would still be a Muslim when you're a lesbian

other than plain unattractive, what's your cousin like? would he be okay if he knew you were a lesbian?
Marrying cousins is just messed up!

No wonder certain demographics have much higher proportion of disabled children...
Reply 19
I guess they don't know you are a lesbian..?

Latest