The Student Room Group

Summer 2017 Applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ESTATEREAL
I got rejected from every single spring week hahah and then re assed how I was going about things. Spent 100's of hours on linkedin reaching out to at least 1,000 people met about 30 people worth my while who gave me great advice and then did an internship part time at a BDO in first semester, then I sent at least 100 emails out trying to do an internship for easter and managed to get an interview for a MM PE and nailed and went in for 2 weeks. Then reached out to so many trying for a summer internship but no luck, until I met one guy clicked with him real well and got into a 3 bill PE fund for the summer and I'm now starting in Blackstone doing part time for the year :smile: I think it's a matter of perseverance more than anything.

Now THAT is a background story. Love it mate, keep pushing on! :smile:

Makes a hell of a lot of sense now ahaha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The GS video interview is not as bad as one might imagine. The virtual aspect isn't too bad but I think it's quite difficult to keep looking at the camera. As well as that the questions are a bit cheesy to the extent no human would ask such crap, you have to think on your feet as there like tell me about a time you had two homework assignments to do but had to choose one, what was the outcome etc. Like I had to ******** as I cannot recall being in such a situation before!!
Original post by stealth_writer
Have you done the citi tests?

Nope! I think they had a problem with my app, as they couldn't see the attachments...

Original post by Deltasierra27
When did you apply & Which division?

IBD, applied late august
Does anyone know whether Moelis does any underwriting?
Original post by Ox2018
Does anyone know whether Moelis does any underwriting?

They're an advisory and asset management house, so no they don't underwrite on capital markets.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
They're an advisory and asset management house, so no they don't underwrite on capital markets.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright thanks, they described themselves as an Independent Investment Bank and they do have a capital market's desk. So was not sure whether that was purely an advisory capital market desk or whether they actually did any underwriting. So thanks for your reply.
Original post by Turing
Barclays Insight 1 just took me 5 hours ffs

How worried should I be about the online interview? I've heard it's the worst thing since Brexit?

What sort of stuff do they ask? I have no clue how to prepare for this. Is it SHL or something - the numerical tests?
Original post by Ox2018
Alright thanks, they described themselves as an Independent Investment Bank and they do have a capital market's desk. So was not sure whether that was purely an advisory capital market desk or whether they actually did any underwriting. So thanks for your reply.

Yh, cap markets advisory. No worries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ox2018

Boutiques have very small balance sheets and the biggest asset they probs own is their building so they'd be screwed if they underwrite

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dasu95
Boutiques have very small balance sheets and the biggest asset they probs own is their building so they'd be screwed if they underwrite

Posted from TSR Mobile

you can underwrite-to-distribute. something which jefferies does.

I believe Roth also does IPOs sometimes.
as for Moelis, I'm pretty sure they don't.
Has anyone had the following error message come up when trying to complete the Morgan Stanley tests?

APPLICATION CENTER

There has been a problem contacting the test provider please try again later
2017 Investment Banking & Global Capital Markets Summer Analyst Programme (London): Application Update

TESTS LEFT TO COMPLETE

Numerical reasoning test

NO TESTS COMPLETE
Original post by savonarola
you can underwrite-to-distribute. something which jefferies does.

I believe Roth also does IPOs sometimes.
as for Moelis, I'm pretty sure they don't.

jefferies is different though, they're a full service bank with an S&T team

Posted from TSR Mobile
Amazing story mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ESTATEREAL
I got rejected from every single spring week hahah and then re assed how I was going about things. Spent 100's of hours on linkedin reaching out to at least 1,000 people met about 30 people worth my while who gave me great advice and then did an internship part time at a BDO in first semester, then I sent at least 100 emails out trying to do an internship for easter and managed to get an interview for a MM PE and nailed and went in for 2 weeks. Then reached out to so many trying for a summer internship but no luck, until I met one guy clicked with him real well and got into a 3 bill PE fund for the summer and I'm now starting in Blackstone doing part time for the year :smile: I think it's a matter of perseverance more than anything.

Amazing story mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by econ400
Has anyone had the following error message come up when trying to complete the Morgan Stanley tests?

APPLICATION CENTER

2017 Investment Banking & Global Capital Markets Summer Analyst Programme (London): Application Update

TESTS LEFT TO COMPLETE

Numerical reasoning test

NO TESTS COMPLETE

I was about to do the BAML SJT and this came up "
There has been a problem contacting the test provider please try again later "

As if the tests werent cu- nty enough
Reply 2515
Original post by econ400

APPLICATION CENTER

TESTS LEFT TO COMPLETE

Numerical reasoning test

NO TESTS COMPLETE

My 48 hour time limit is tonight and this won't load ;((((
Anyone heard back from morgan stanley or deutsche after numerical test yet?
Do all BAML summer internships pay the same amount?
Original post by A12R34
Do all BAML summer internships pay the same amount?

Not if it's a back office role vs a front office one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gman786
Anyone heard back from morgan stanley or deutsche after numerical test yet?

Nope. I expect to see a rejection email in the next few weeks though... :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending