The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Josb
No. The Church had very strict policies regarding cousin marriage, with exemptions for royals and aristocrats (for which they had to pay).

really? I didn't know that.. I mean, in the case of poor people, how would they even know that the people getting married were relatives? it's not like they had a family tree or an ID?
Somethings gotta give man, sooner or later he'll suss it out one way or another. If you are totally honest, i would give some further advice but thats way too much haram
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
It's very unlikely you'll find someone willing to sacrifice their own chance at finding genuine love and live a lie their entire life. And it's likely that if you do that you'll end up miserable so I don't think this is the best option but it's up to you of course.

It would be temporary of course and not a serious marriage. Just on paper.
Original post by Aishaluvsmuhamed
But it's easy for you to say leave your family but I love my family despite this and if I leave them then I'll be all alone
Maybe I can find someone to marry who knows i'm gay but will play along, i Think they'd back off

They already know i'm gay

Oh my. So just say no then. Congrats on coming out to them.

Seriously, you're gay. Why would you want to get with a guy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It would be temporary of course and not a serious marriage. Just on paper.

Still unlikely you're going to find someone willing to do that.
Original post by Josb
You're parents are disgusting and you should run away.

I don't think i could do that. I love my family so much and my sister. I want to be close with them :frown:

Original post by Bloody Stupid
There must be a support team in your uni that can help? I remember my college provided safeguarding options for those undergoing FGM, gay/transgender, forced marriage... etc. If you tell them they'll give you options and will help you take action.

I don't believe those things will help. Even FGM no-one ever gets convicted it's just on paper they act like they will help they won't. and I have my sister, I don't want her to be taken away
Reply 46
Original post by Rhaenys10
really? I didn't know that.. I mean, in the case of poor people, how would they even know that the people getting married were relatives? it's not like they had a family tree or an ID?

Communities were small in the past, everybody knew each other. The local priest certainly knew about this.
Reply 47
I don't think i could do that. I love my family so much and my sister. I want to be close with them :frown:

They want to force you to marry your cousin just because you're gay. How can you love them?
You must have some guy friends, get a slightly brown one to pretend he's your bf (pretend he's a muslim)
Original post by Josb
Communities were small in the past, everybody knew each other. The local priest certainly knew about this.

you're probably right
but people still shagged their cousins i'm pretty sure:smile:)
I don't know about you but my cousins are hot as balls, i'd kill for my parents to hook me up with one of them.
Reply 51
Original post by TheGreatPumpkin
You must have some guy friends, get a slightly brown one to pretend he's your bf (pretend he's a muslim)

She is not allowed to date.
All i can say is your parents are really close minded. Its the 21st century no one should be forced to marry especially in the family. You should try to contact your uni help desk or go to your local social worker.
Reply 53
I didn't open up my sister took my phone and showed them stuff so they figured out i was lesbian and that's the reason they want me to be married off.

Ohhh, but don't worry and don't do anything to extreme. I know the main option is for you to leave your family or whatever but don't. I know people are probably thinking "Wtf" but just don't you will regret it and put your family, parents especially through so much heartbreak. Love is what you need and that will bring you closer to your family and hopefully will stop them wanting you to marry your cousin.

But i really do hope it all works out in the end.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm also a bit confused about that but islam is all i know

he's like 10 years older than me!! He's very religious so he would be v. angry

They do

what would he think if you chose a second wife for him? (pls pls don't feel insulted by this, i only mean well, i'm all for liberation and s*it like this)
I'm pretty sure OP's trolling, they have a picture of "Allah" written in arabic, and they cannot even spell "Muhammad" right.
Honestly, leave your parents and never come back. They sound like horrible people and they don't deserve to be parents if they're going to put pressure on you to marry someone you'll never feel attraction to.

Could you not say that forced marriage is invalid in the Quran? On the other hand though, they could use your homosexuality against you.
Ok so I just cried to my parents about how I don't want to get married they said I don't have to marry my cousin as long as I agree to have quran read on me and I stop being gay. I think this is ok bc i can pretend to not be gay and I can continue living with them like nothing happened.

Original post by Carthaginian
I'm pretty sure OP's trolling, they have a picture of "Allah" written in arabic, and they cannot even spell "Muhammad" right.

Double m wouldn't fit. I've read the Quran in arabic so I'm familiar with it. :smile:

I don't believe those things will help. Even FGM no-one ever gets convicted it's just on paper they act like they will help they won't. and I have my sister, I don't want her to be taken away

Your sister betrayed you

Does your cousin not want the marriage as well? If so, you can reach a compromise with him and play happy families whilst you can go out and date.

Otherwise, it's either stay or run away.

Latest