The Student Room Group

Help choosing a 5th university

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lancaster AAB
York AAB
or Exter A*AA-AAB

What about one of these? York is beautiful btw!
I dont think its wise to have a lot of uni's with the same entry requirement. Have 3 which are A*AA then have 2 which are AAA-AAB.

For example:
LSE - A*AA
UCL - A*AA
Bristol - A*AA
Oxford - AAA
York- AAB
Original post by samendrag
I dont think its wise to have a lot of uni's with the same entry requirement. Have 3 which are A*AA then have 2 which are AAA-AAB.

For example:
LSE - A*AA
UCL - A*AA
Bristol - A*AA
Oxford - AAA
York- AAB

Oxford does use criteria other than just the AAA offer, though (more so than the others on the list) - which you have to satisfy before you get as far as 'only' needing AAA to get in.
Original post by Isinglass
Oxford does use criteria other than just the AAA offer, though (more so than the others on the list) - which you have to satisfy before you get as far as 'only' needing AAA to get in.

I mean i guess u cud give it a shot
Reply 5
What did you get for predicted grades?
Reply 6
Original post by BioOx
What did you get for predicted grades?

A*A*A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

Go for Oxbridge!
Reply 8
Original post by BioOx
Go for Oxbridge!

I can't!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alexp98
Lancaster AAB
York AAB
or Exter A*AA-AAB

What about one of these? York is beautiful btw!

York
Reply 10

Following your predicted grades, you should have applied to:

Oxbridge
2 Unis with A*AA offers
1 Uni with AAA offer
1 Uni with AAB

At least that is what our university office at our school recommends to students.
Reply 11
(edited 7 years ago)
Exeter is pretty good, especially so for Econ. Their offer range is A*AA - AAB. You get the lower offer if you go to a bad school/are from a deprived area.
other options include Birmingham, Loughborough or Cardiff as well as Lancaster and York
Isn't LSE's Economics course pretty mathematical too? And as others have suggested, I'd drop your least favourite A*AA course for an AAA one.
Original post by Don Joiner
I can't apply to Oxbridge because:

Cambridge Economics: too mathematical as I only have AS Further Maths

Oxford Economics and Management: Ridiculously competitive (8% success rate) and teachers advise not to apply

Oxford PPE: not good enough at the TSA and not really interested in philosophy or politics that much

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can't complain about economics being too mathematical in Cambridge because all top unis that provide an economics course is mathematical!
With that being said Cambridge does not mind if you've only done further maths up to AS! They only require AS further maths but prefer the whole A Level! And it's not like they're going to not teach you the maths, they'll obviously teach it!

Honestly apply for Cambridge :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Don Joiner
I know that they are all mathematical but Cambridge even more so.

I honestly feel like it would be a wasted application, in fact one of the Oxbridge coordinators at my college actually said 'you won't get in' because I don't have full a level further maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

But he obviously doesn't know what he's on about! So many people get in without the full A Level! It even says on the website that students who only take AS further maths will be expected to do STEP 1 and 2 whereas people who take the full A Level are expected to take STEP 2 and 3! If they didn't accept students without the full A Level they wouldn't have written that on their website!
Quite a few students who even apply for maths get offers from Cambridge only with AS further maths! Not a wasted application.

Another advice, do not only apply for uni's with the same requirements!
If you apply for Cambridge then apply for Cambridge, apply for 2 unis with A*AA requirements, 1 uni with AAA requirement and 1 uni with AAB requirement! That way you will be confident knowing you will have a place at a very good uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by DamnDaniel2
But he obviously doesn't know what he's on about! So many people get in without the full A Level! It even says on the website that students who only take AS further maths will be expected to do STEP 1 and 2 whereas people who take the full A Level are expected to take STEP 2 and 3! If they didn't accept students without the full A Level they wouldn't have written that on their website!
Quite a few students who even apply for maths get offers from Cambridge only with AS further maths! Not a wasted application.

Cambridge very very rarely set a STEP requirement for Economics. And it would be a 1 in STEP I. You are thinking of Maths.

OP should apply to Oxford. It's just one spot on the form.

They will get 4 other offers with an A*A*A* prediction, so an Oxbridge choice is not really that high risk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending