The Student Room Group

One Text and you're banned

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/17/penalty-points-fines-double-drivers-using-mobile-phones-200

New drivers will be banned as the mandatory 6 points will take them to the limit.

So don't use your gadgets in the car*
Good

For others, it's one text and you're dead.
Good. It's not that hard to find somewhere safe, is it?
Reply 3
It's irrelevant what the penalty is if there's noone around to enforce it.

You could say that being caught texting / using your phone means an instant confiscation of the car you're sat in and it won't make a difference because people know they won't get caught.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Drewski

You could say that being caught texting / using your phone means an instant confiscation of the car you're sat in and it won't make a difference because people know they won't get caught.

traffic police are an endangered species:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31260003**
Better than one text and you're dead!
Good.
Original post by 1010marina
Good

That's a bit harsh the death penalty for texting? Where is this North Korea or Saudia Arabia?
Reply 8
Original post by Ambitious1999
That's a bit harsh the death penalty for texting? Where is this North Korea or Saudia Arabia?

I know you're carefully cultivating a reputation of being a bit thick, but no need to keep it up 24/7.

I think he's referring to the fact that if you text when driving you more at risk for running into another car/ bike/ pedestrian etc :wink:
Will do **** all. I have seen so many truckers drive and phone. £200?? Make it £2000, a ban from driving

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1010marina
Good

So powerful; such emotive words.
wow
Original post by the bear
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/17/penalty-points-fines-double-drivers-using-mobile-phones-200

New drivers will be banned as the mandatory 6 points will take them to the limit.

So don't use your gadgets in the car*

Harsher penalties will make bugger all difference.

The fact of the matter is that there aren't enough police officers on the road to actually administer tickets for that offence to the level where people would actually start paying attention. Even if a police officer does see somebody on their phone they often don't have the time to stop and do anything about it because they are so short staffed that using a phone while driving is so far down the list in terms of importance that it is often ignored.

At the moment my job is involving the best part of 50 hours a week on the roads and on multiple occasions I have seen a police car drive right past somebody who has clearly been on their phone and they have either been completely ignored or the only action taken by the police was to gesture to the driver for them to put the phone down.

The only way that these stricter penalties would make any difference is if there were enough people caught for people to feel like there was a genuine risk of being caught, whereas in reality it will still be so rare that most people will continue to feel like they can use their phone without having to worry about being caught.
Mobile phone users whilst driving + Riders= Bad news.
Original post by SMEGGGY
Will do **** all. I have seen so many truckers drive and phone. £200?? Make it £2000, a ban from driving

Posted from TSR Mobile

Amen to that
Original post by Drewski
I know you're carefully cultivating a reputation of being a bit thick, but no need to keep it up 24/7.

Play nice or you'll be thrown in the naughty section :naughty:
Original post by Drewski

And that is exactly why we need stricter consequences for it. It's so hard to enforce that you need to make sure that the few people who do get caught are punished properly and are not likely to do it again. Plus the prospect of losing their license not long after passing might be a strong enough deterrent itself for many.
Original post by RF_PineMarten
And that is exactly why we need stricter consequences for it. It's so hard to enforce that you need to make sure that the few people who do get caught are punished properly and are not likely to do it again. Plus the prospect of losing their license not long after passing might be a strong enough deterrent itself for many.

But it also needs to be enforced.

We could say that every driver caught will be shot on the spot, but it doesn't matter if there's feck all traffic cops to catch them.
Reply 19
Missing the point much?

When I'm on my motorbike I don't want some A-hole taking me out because updating their facebook status is more important than driving with due care and attention. The consequences of that can be fatal. You, know ..... that thing called death.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending