The Student Room Group

GCSE Computer Science help!

Is this statement true about the clock speed for a CPU? "A higher clock speed allows the CPU to execute instructions quicker" - This is what I put as my answer

The exam question asks "Explain how the clock speed of a CPU affects its performance"
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by JackT2000
Is this statement true about the clock speed for a CPU? "A higher clock speed allows the CPU to execute instructions quicker" - This is what I put as my answer

The exam question asks "Explain how the clock speed of a CPU affects its performance"

This is what the mark scheme says:
Clock speed is the speed that the microprocessor executes each instruction or each vibration of the clock. The CPU requires a fixed number of clock ticks, or cycles, to execute each instruction. The faster the clocks rate, the faster the CPU, or the faster it can execute instructions. Clock Speeds are usually determined in MHz, 1 MHz representing 1 million cycles per second, or in GHz, 1 GHz representing 1 thousand million cycles per second. The higher the CPU speed, the better a computer will perform, in a general sense.

Source:
http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/c/clockspe.htm
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks but I wanted to know if what I said is correct ?
Original post by JackT2000
Thanks but I wanted to know if what I said is correct ?

Yeah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending