The Student Room Group

Boyfriend Staying Over On 1st Night

So I move into my university accommodation on the 17th Septemeber and my boyfriend has a family event in the same city on the 18th so I'm planning for him to stay with me for convincence and also to help me settle in. However as it's the first night do you think any of my flat mates would be pissed off or would it be okay? Also would more than 1 night be okay or not?
Original post by Student3006
So I move into my university accommodation on the 17th Septemeber and my boyfriend has a family event in the same city on the 18th so I'm planning for him to stay with me for convincence and also to help me settle in. However as it's the first night do you think any of my flat mates would be pissed off or would it be okay? Also would more than 1 night be okay or not?

Do bare mind that the first few days are important for getting to know the people you are living with, if you hide away with him or make anyone feel like they are third wheeling then it could be difficult. However if you are still friendly and approacheable and your boyfriend is considerate then it shouldn't be a big issue.
Reply 2
Okay, that's great advice - thank you!
Original post by Student3006

Check the rules - some unis need you to ask permission, some don't allow guests in the first few weeks, etc

Someone needs to know in case there is a fire or other emergency.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79

You're not in school anymore, people don't take registers of adults in a building.. the assumption is that adults know to leave a building when the fire alarm goes off :wink:
Check the rules - some unis need you to ask permission, some don't allow guests in the first few weeks, etc

they wouldn't know whether you are in or out of the building anyway, you don't sign out when you leave, you don't need to tell anyone about guests - most universities have some sort of policy but it isn't enforced unless you cause problems for other tenants

OP - providing you manage it well it shouldn't be a problem, what I mean is that if you spend all night in your room with your boyfriend or go out but spend the evening talking together then they will see you as not getting involved and think you're too wrapped up in your boyfriend to make an effort which won't be good... if you and your boyfriend go and say hi to people and are friendly and chat to everyone and get involved people won't have an issue at all, he will just be another new face and another potential friend
Original post by Reue
You're not in school anymore, people don't take registers of adults in a building.. the assumption is that adults know to leave a building when the fire alarm goes off :wink:

Wrong - at most unis you have to sign visitors in and let them know if you are going home - FACT!!
Original post by doodle_333
they wouldn't know whether you are in or out of the building anyway, you don't sign out when you leave, you don't need to tell anyone about guests - most universities have some sort of policy but it isn't enforced unless you cause problems for other tenants

Most unis do have a policy of letting the know about overnight visitors and if you aren't going to be in overight - it's fire regulations.
Wrong - at most unis you have to sign visitors in and let them know if you are going home - FACT!!

Most unis do have a policy of letting the know about overnight visitors and if you aren't going to be in overight - it's fire regulations.

I know of a lot of unis that don't do this.

Fact opinion based on your own experience.
Original post by iEthan
I know of a lot of unis that don't do this.

Fact opinion based on your own experience.

I know a lot that do - a fact is something that is correct which this statement is.

If some don't that doesn't make my statement false.

If you want your visitor to be trapped in a burning building with no-one knowing they are there - fine - go ahead.
Reply 10

Lmao, whatever :wink:

have you been to university? I've seen this in about every contract I've signed... I've never once seen it implemented
if there's a fire no one is going to go charging into your university room to rescue your guest just cos you signed them in - there's no guarantee they would even be in at the time, they would have no knowledge at all who is and isn't in the building
it should be fine, just ask your flat mates before if they're okay with it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by doodle_333
have you been to university? I've seen this in about every contract I've signed... I've never once seen it implemented
if there's a fire no one is going to go charging into your university room to rescue your guest just cos you signed them in - there's no guarantee they would even be in at the time, they would have no knowledge at all who is and isn't in the building

Yes I have and I've seen people fined for breaking the rules.

If there's a fire in the night then of course they will check everyone [including visitors] is safe. Haven't you ever experienced an overnight fire alarm in hall?
Yes I have and I've seen people fined for breaking the rules.

If there's a fire in the night then of course they will check everyone [including visitors] is safe. Haven't you ever experienced an overnight fire alarm in hall?

yes, plenty - everyone in the building left and waited until they were told to go back in, there was no head count or register... it would be impractical, people could be away on holiday, out at a club, in the library, staying over at a friend's place

Quick Reply

Latest